Oil pressure on start up; losing prime?

DylOrr

May 26, 2010
Kinderhook, IL
I have a buddies truck I swapped a built motor in. I built the truck it was in previously and it didn’t have this issue, but it did sit for about a year before my buddy bought it. If it sits more than ~3 hours it takes 5-10 seconds to build oil pressure on start up, it even tripped the low pressure light briefly once. You can hear the motor chattering til it gets pressure. I know there’s a relief in the pump, 2 in the cooler, and one in the front cover. I hate to go throwing parts at it. Has anyone had this issue or dealt with it and know of a solution. It’s 15w40 and I already tried swapping out the filter. Thanks

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
my old engine did that for years. every morning it would take a bit to bring pressure up. sometimes trip the light, sometimes not. always figured it was due to the engine oil cooler i had and old factory oil pump. the bearings all looked great inside. did that for 8 years.

only thing id suggest is pulling the oil pan and front cover to check for any loose/bad gaskets on the oil pump pickup. or maybe a spun oil pump gear.

DylOrr

May 26, 2010
Kinderhook, IL
my old engine did that for years. every morning it would take a bit to bring pressure up. sometimes trip the light, sometimes not. always figured it was due to the engine oil cooler i had and old factory oil pump. the bearings all looked great inside. did that for 8 years.

only thing id suggest is pulling the oil pan and front cover to check for any loose/bad gaskets on the oil pump pickup. or maybe a spun oil pump gear.

That’s what I was figuring. More of one of those tear into it things. I just really don’t wanna yank the motor I literally just put in :roflmao: