Banks DataMonster or Edge CTS2

13dmax83

May 9, 2016
Deep Eaat Trxas
2015 2500- Im running Autometer gauges, boost and pyrometer, but have been looking at the datatmonster and cts2 as well. Whats the good and bad of each of these and is one better than the other?

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I would say the banks if your truly wanting to use it as a datalogger, if your only wanting to monitor a few extra gauges and what not, the cts is easier to see. I have the cts and my buddy has the Banks.

coker6365

Coker6303's ***** Daddy
Dec 4, 2011
Banks for datalogging, CTS if you just want gauges. The expandable system of the Banks unit is awesome and the data rate for logging is way better than Edge.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

techperry

GM Diesel Tech
Jun 1, 2014
Will the banks work with the 2005 duramax? I haven't been able to find it in supported vehicles.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Will the banks work with the 2005 duramax? I haven't been able to find it in supported vehicles.

No, the current iDash 1.8 only supports 2008+ officially. Richard got his to work on his LBZ (2006). It will not work on LB7/LLY (I have tried it in both of mine) which makes sense as they are both pre-CAN.

coker6365

Coker6303's ***** Daddy
Dec 4, 2011
Hence why LBZ is better. Cough cough

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

techperry

GM Diesel Tech
Jun 1, 2014
That what I thought. Just wanted to be sure I hadn't missed anything. It looks to be a nice system. I never cared for my cts.

Lennart

Not from here !
Aug 10, 2006
Detmold, Germany
digging out this old thread, anyone know if the iDash SuperGauge/DataMonster will now work with the LLY?
I saw that there is the option for this gauge in combination with their tuners but I would like to see it work without.
Since the Tuner is plugged to the ECM it might get the data from the J1939 and sends it to the iDash....
So I was playing with the idea of routing the J1939 to the DLC (OBD2-Port) and hook up the gauge.
Has anyone tried this?

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
I run the Banks I-Dash dual gauges on my wife's 08LMM and it is a great setup when the air mouse is used to give you a ton of induction system data you wouldn't normally see but it still lacks a ton of factory data that it shouldn't be. Since it is using the can protocol it should display everything the Edge CTS does but it doesn't and that is beyond frustrating. You can't see injection rate(calculated fuel rate) MM3 which is one of the most important data points in my eyes. I ran it on my LBZ for a little bit and it wasn't good at all there because it lacked even more important data. I would think it would work the best on the 11-up trucks but I haven't installed it on one to find out. The biggest downside to the banks setup is the price of it, very expensive compared to the cts.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
digging out this old thread, anyone know if the iDash SuperGauge/DataMonster will now work with the LLY?
I saw that there is the option for this gauge in combination with their tuners but I would like to see it work without.
Since the Tuner is plugged to the ECM it might get the data from the J1939 and sends it to the iDash....
So I was playing with the idea of routing the J1939 to the DLC (OBD2-Port) and hook up the gauge.
Has anyone tried this?

Being it doesn't work good on LBZ it definitely wouldn't work good on the LLY or LB7 trucks unfortunately.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Has anyone tried this?

As of right now they still do not work with anything pre-LBZ due to there being a lack of CAN in the OBD2 port and it being a different CAN rate than standard J1939. J1939 is 250kHz where GM High speed CAN is J1939/500kHzWith that said, one of my projects by Jan 1 is to tap into the J1939 network on the truck (01-05 that is between ECM/TCM/FICM) and see if it reads anything.

On my LB7 (summer daily/tow rig) it is used to monitor things the ECM never had access to (oil temp) as well as to determine the turbocharger efficiency. On my LLY it's used to monitor the turbo setup as well as ensure that fuel pressure never drops below what my regulator (supply) is set at. There's a ton more sensors but that is just a high level of what I use them for.

Reactions: MarkBroviak

dndj

Boost!
Apr 13, 2019
Oregon
I concluded the same thing as Brad and Mark, regarding the iDash Supergauge/DataMonster after searching for a CTS2 alternative on my LB7.

Brad, i noticed your post from 2019 mentioned that Banks may have been working on pre-CAN (J1939) product, but apparently that went by the wayside. Bummer.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I concluded the same thing as Brad and Mark, regarding the iDash Supergauge/DataMonster after searching for a CTS2 alternative on my LB7.

Brad, i noticed your post from 2019 mentioned that Banks may have been working on pre-CAN (J1939) product, but apparently that went by the wayside. Bummer.

Yup, they said there wasn't enough benefit to developing that product.