fuel injection pump decision

max57

Dec 12, 2014
Upstate, NY
Guess I will give LBZ a new valley pump to see if it corrects fluctuation in rail pressure. I have done: ATS Dual Fueler 3000 miles ago, New 60 injectors 1000 miles ago, FRP Sensor, New FRA on valley pump, Balance tests (all -2 to 0) , flow rates (110mm fuel in 1 minute with rail at 17,600 for 1 minute), Have 7-8 psi WOT on Low pressure side , 14psi Idle, Rail Relief blocked , & see no air bubbles in return or pressure lines. . Just do not know where else to go here, the only thing not new is Valley pump.
LBZ, Ported heads, 60% Lincoln injectors (might go 1oo% soon), ATS Dual fueler (stock 10mm), S480 over S366sx , Robs Race Tune, 4000 rpm. Looking for 8-900Hp from it. goal of 1000hp someday!
Question 1 will the fuel controller compensate for a 12mm pump in valley & 10mm Belt Dual ? Question 2 is what size: 12mm & keep dual fuel? or 14mm by itself single? Need room to grow. Keep the second pump?
https://youtu.be/6TLH92ysEkU

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
You are running a 10mm on the belt??? I run 60 overs with a single 10mm pump. I can't see why you should have fuel problems with a 10mm pump and a factory pump with 60 overs.

max57

Dec 12, 2014
Upstate, NY
You are running a 10mm on the belt??? I run 60 overs with a single 10mm pump. I can't see why you should have fuel problems with a 10mm pump and a factory pump with 60 overs.
I thought factory was 10mm . So I have the pump that came with ATS kit, (factory) & original 120,000 mile valley factory. The valley would not keep up so was told to go with twins and do not think it was ever quite right. Now with new engine it is surging bad. Mid to WOT. See you have very similar set up. Maybe I just need a 12mm in valley.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
is this a new issue? If so what was the mod? What mods was your truck tuned for by Rob? I don’t think you’ve got a pump problem, I think you may need a tune update.

max57

Dec 12, 2014
Upstate, NY
Correct me if i am wrong, i think my system is capable of keeping enough fuel ,but valley may be putting out sometime and not others so i am getting fluctuation in my fuel delivery? I would be happy to test something else before ripping this thing all back apart. it would have had a new valley pump but a vendor told me not needed as it will be working half as hard now,.

max57

Dec 12, 2014
Upstate, NY
is this a new issue? If so what was the mod? What mods was your truck tuned for by Rob? I don’t think you’ve got a pump problem, I think you may need a tune update.

It is a whole new Engine reusing the 60% injectors. Rob has been tuning it for 3 years as I keep adding things. Rob just tuned it . The mod was s366 turbo in valley and S475 to a S480 , non vvt. He just changed the tune for me. I think i will call Starlite to try a different tune. Having trouble getting someone to tune it.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
You would have to check but it could be weak pump in the valley. Then you would be hoping the second pump can make up for it. If I had to replace the valley pump I'd sell the dual fueler kit and go with a single 14mm pump and call it a day. Maybe the dual fueler box it bad. You could unhook the FPR on both pumps and see if it holds rail pressure then.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
It is a whole new Engine reusing the 60% injectors. Rob has been tuning it for 3 years as I keep adding things. Rob just tuned it . The mod was s366 turbo in valley and S475 to a S480 , non vvt. He just changed the tune for me. I think i will call Starlite to try a different tune. Having trouble getting someone to tune it.

I guess what Rob are we talking about? Rob Coddens at ATP doesn’t tune any longer due to big brother. Have you talked to your tuner yet and shown him these logs? Your pumps should be up to the task DEPENDING how far your tuner is trying to push them.

As said above, have you tried troubleshooting the pump controller or swapping in a different known good box?

max57

Dec 12, 2014
Upstate, NY
You would have to check but it could be weak pump in the valley. Then you would be hoping the second pump can make up for it. If I had to replace the valley pump I'd sell the dual fueler kit and go with a single 14mm pump and call it a day. Maybe the dual fueler box it bad. You could unhook the FPR on both pumps and see if it holds rail pressure then.

I have put another Control box on. I have unhooked each pump one at a time and pressure goes way high. I can command 180mpa at idle and it holds. Yes I would think the pumps are able to supply. I could try a FP Acuator on the new pump but Just no wheres else to go other than Tune itself or the valley pump. Rob looked over a log I sent him and said the tune and ecm are commanding, it is a mechanical issue.
I think the pumps are able to supply fuel just some reason it is flucuating and giving me surging. I always get the good ones! Thanks

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I did swap controller box for another new one. Not sure how much volts should be going to the Actuator, one is a supply and other is command volts.
It is Rob Codden, I got a hold of him by email, he only tunes off highway now. I told him lets go to Maximum potential. he said Maybe see 900hp. He seen log. Says Mechanical problem. The only two parts left now are the new pump FRP Actuator and Valley pump , & tune itself.

Rob is a great tuner, no doubt. On my LLY I did have to switch to a different tuner as he could never get my truck to not have rail surge or high rail in an off throttle situation (coasting) with my truck when it had 60s, 10mm, and Danville 68r 4094. I went to a few other tuners before going to Starlite.

I’m not saying the tune is your issue, it very well could be a mechanical issue. The reason I’m not sold on it being a pump is the truck does keep up, it just cycles like it his desired then pulls current to maintain but it falls too far.

max57

Dec 12, 2014
Upstate, NY
I did see a log at part throttle 35%(it was surging) where the emc was commanding pressure up then down, flucuating. But at 40% -100% throttle it commands 26250 all the time and the actual just flucuates higher and lower. Seem to be rythmatic timing as in the video. Thats what makes me think PumP. The boost is always reading 53lbs at those runs and barometer always 14, does that sound right? Will the boost never go over 39lbs?

max57

Dec 12, 2014
Upstate, NY
Rob is a great tuner, no doubt. On my LLY I did have to switch to a different tuner as he could never get my truck to not have rail surge or high rail in an off throttle situation (coasting) with my truck when it had 60s, 10mm, and Danville 68r 4094. I went to a few other tuners before going to Starlite.

I’m not saying the tune is your issue, it very well could be a mechanical issue. The reason I’m not sold on it being a pump is the truck does keep up, it just cycles like it his desired then pulls current to maintain but it falls too far.

I agree , guess I will put the FRP Acuator that came off Valley pump on New pump tomorrow for giggles and then a tune if Starlite can do it as easier and cheaper than a pump. I have went over everything twice now other than the voltage to the actuators.
Thanks for the talk Guys.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
You said you have a lbz pump for a dual fueler pump, did you change the FPR on the valley pump to a lbz one? They use different voltage scales and this could be throwing you off.

max57

Dec 12, 2014
Upstate, NY
My Belt Pump has a Bosch 0928-400-642 FPR on it. Looking it up and is for a Dodge . Duramax LBZ calling for a Bosch 0928-400-673 . Guess I will change it and see what happens

max57

Dec 12, 2014
Upstate, NY
I changed out the FPR on the belt pump and no difference. I had someone ride with me and watch gauges and we noticed the low pressure side fluctuates with the surging . It seems to run the same with pump on or off, so do not think surging is from low side fluctuating rather thinking the low side is fluctuating from the surging high side! the but maybe I will through a new filter on it. And see if anyone in the world can give me nother tune for the hell of it. I am getting very tired with this f---.

max57

Dec 12, 2014
Upstate, NY
I bet you just found the problem.
If your not tired of this heres a video of V7.5 scan. you can see Pilot & main mm3 fluctuating. Normal? I watched a older version and it did not use to do this.
I raised fuel pressure at idle and it stays pretty steady PSI.
Did another "Ehanced"balance flow test 30 seconds at 17,600psi at idle hot, 55ml each side, so all good with injectors as tested before.
https://youtu.be/lYgtvDmJDZA

max57

Dec 12, 2014
Upstate, NY
I have noticed if I turn the Lift pump off/on it makes the High pressure jump while Idling and can hear it in the engine also. the Low pressure is going from 14 idle to 6-8psi WOT . It makes a lot more power with the pump on . So I at going to do something like BD and crank the Airdog up to 20psi and put a regulator up near engine with 5/8 line instead of 1/2 to see if I can get it stable 8-10psi. One step at a time i guess. Still calling around to get a tune, No luck so far. Called 6 major places got no answer any wheres and got 2 return calls back.