THAT big of a difference?

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Some of you guys may have read how I was getting what I felt to be terrible mpg out of my truck since I got it. Stock, tuned, deleted, 285s, 33s, banks exhaust, no exhaust, I got 14. Recently I changed my air filter in my banks (was a banks dry filter that was filthy) to an S&B filter and my next tank went up to 16 but was all highway. Few weeks ago I put on a 5” Magnaflow exhaust with a Flo-Pro Twister resonator as far forward as I can get it, and I’ve gained 50-75 miles per tank, no highway, this tank even had slow mountain driving on it. Before I’d get 275 miles max before the light came on which I believe is 16-17 gallons. This take hit 325 before the light. Can exhaust cause this drastic of a difference? Or do I have some voodoo goin on here

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
The air filter makes sense, but the exhaust didn't make sense at all. That's extremely odd. I'm going with voodoo

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
Did you happen to clean your maf? I know when I changed the nasty oiled K&N that they used grease to seal to the intake tube :confused: that was on my truck when I bought it I picked up around 4mpg highway. Never calc’d in town but it went up a few for sure. I also cleaned all the grease off the maf too. I went with a stock filter.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Did you happen to clean your maf? I know when I changed the nasty oiled K&N that they used grease to seal to the intake tube :confused: that was on my truck when I bought it I picked up around 4mpg highway. Never calc’d in town but it went up a few for sure. I also cleaned all the grease off the maf too. I went with a stock filter.

Cleaned the MAF a few months ago and no change. I’m not complaining, this is just weird. I’m thrilled I’m getting what everyone says an LBZ should now tho. :woott:

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
What’s the trans fluid look like?

Haven’t checked it yet. I need to but I’m always weird about changing fluid when the trans shifts perfectly fine and temps are good. I know most of you look down in this, just have some bad family juju with transmissions. Nothing on the truck has changed besides the exhaust since the mpg increase. The only difference is I moved back to the mountains, but was only at the beach for 3 months and mileage had been the same before. Maybe this played a factor in it too? Altitude and air density?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I think you may have finally turned around and started coming back down the hill. since you have been climbing it for so long you have forgotten what level ground looks like:roflmao:

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Maybe it's been bad fuel?

That’s the thing. This last tank that I got was From one of the crappiest quality gas stations around and this tank has been crazy good. I bought it July last year, and the tank after this new exhaust was towing so I didn’t count it, but the tank after and this one mileage has been great.

ironmax

chock full of goodies
Jul 7, 2010
Col. Ohio
Is your right foot getting lighter? Are your driving habits changing? Not smashing the go pedal at every stop sign makes a big difference. I've been playing hyper Miler in the dually and I'm usually around 3 mpg better then how I normally drive. I'll come right out and say it.... I drive like an a-hole, I'm not cutting people off, but I'm not sitting and waiting on some other idiot to make up there mind. And I'm usually around 10-15 mph over the speed limit . I don't know why I drive that way, but i know if I'm just staying right along with traffic people do stupid shit and I get all pissed off. I find it better to be the lead dog and leave everybody else twiddling there thumbs.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Is your right foot getting lighter? Are your driving habits changing? Not smashing the go pedal at every stop sign makes a big difference. I've been playing hyper Miler in the dually and I'm usually around 3 mpg better then how I normally drive. I'll come right out and say it.... I drive like an a-hole, I'm not cutting people off, but I'm not sitting and waiting on some other idiot to make up there mind. And I'm usually around 10-15 mph over the speed limit . I don't know why I drive that way, but i know if I'm just staying right along with traffic people do stupid shit and I get all pissed off. I find it better to be the lead dog and leave everybody else twiddling there thumbs.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

No sir. Before I tested it and it didn’t matter if I dogged the crap out of it or babied it. It was 14.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
It’s official. The truck is cured. Drove it about 1000 miles this weekend going anywhere from 65-75mph and truck averaged 18.5-18.8 hand calculated. Not sure if it just really likes the resonator. It’s axle dumped now too, so wasn’t just the tail piece helping out. Not sure what the heck happened, but boy am I so much happier. I’m at 1/4 tank now when my fuel light used to come on!

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Shounds like pushing it half way payed off :roflmao:

Was that mostly highway? City (I doubt it) or a mix?

Thats pretty good for even all highway if it is