Finally bought my first turbo............

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
So im bringing this back up I've finally figured out I'm going to polish the comp cover and do the ds intercooler pipe white now my next question is I'm going with Rick d lance tow flow replacement up pipes I'm going to leave the egr riser and blocker plate in place to keep stock appearing under hood. My question is who has the ricks tow flow replacments and how do you like them how did they fit? Smooth install? Also if anyone has insight should I jet hot the turbine housing and dei titanium blanket or just blanket? Mainly want thermometric efficiency. Any insight will be greatly appreciated thanks :thumb:

Get a blanket, skip the coating. The blanket is going to work better due to the fact it is a thicker layer if insulation vs the coating. Levi's blankets are 1/2" thick insulation sandwiched between outer layers. I would assume you are leaving the EGR cooler in place then if you are keeping it "stock appearing"? Do you have a reason for this like emissions visual checks or a sled pulling class?

If the tow flows are anything like PPE's, im assuming they are better, then not a bad install, and definitely reduced egt's a hair. Get one of Levis's turbo blankets. They are very affordable and well made. I have used his in two different scenarios and both times they were excellent with keeping the heat inside the turbo and not in the engine bay. One big thing that keep heat in line as well was wrapping the 2in up pipes and down pipe in a heat wrap. I can open my hood any time and there is very marginal heat coming from the rear of the of the engine bay.

Levi also makes up-pipe blankets as well. I have them going on my built motor truck with RDL manifolds/up-pipes as well as Levi's T6 turbo blanket.

Rick's up-pipes are a great choice. I've run the stock manifolds and his up-pipes on several builds. I believe you get most increase with the up-pipes alone on 90% of the combinations. If I remember there were some engine dyno results posted showing a healthy improvement in HP with just the up-pipes. I've had several turbine housings coated (didn't use JetHot - the turbo shop uses a military type coating used on gun barrels). I would recommend doing either the coating or the blanket. The blankets are very effective but they will not be kind to any type of coating over time.

^, the blanket will kill the coating over time.

Robby Avery

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Jul 31, 2008
Norman Park, Georgia
Thanks to all who replied I'm leaving the egr in place just bypassing everything as well for fit and finish and ease of repair. also I like to maintain a sneaky Pete kinda vibe. most people around my area are just cai exhaust and tuner mods nobody seems to be as serious about modifying diesels as I have remained loyal to my passion of diesels in general. I like them all and work on them all duramax cummins powerstoke I just bleed gm blue and am a die hard duramax guy :thumb: also tech's are strict so out of sight out of mind when checked at pulls as John Kennedy said to me once in a email. I have found that Levi and dei make a blanket that works on the factory Garrett turbine housing just gotta make up my mind now. Now my next question is wrapping the up pipes want errode the faster like it does gas headers will it I know diesels don't have condensation present in the exhaust like gas conterparts do but I don't want rust them out like I've seen happen to headers in the past from wrapping them. Enlighten me please as I have waited a long time to finally put my first turbo on and I want to do it right to enjoy it for a long time you know:thumb:

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Thanks to all who replied I'm leaving the egr in place just bypassing everything as well for fit and finish and ease of repair. also I like to maintain a sneaky Pete kinda vibe. most people around my area are just cai exhaust and tuner mods nobody seems to be as serious about modifying diesels as I have remained loyal to my passion of diesels in general. I like them all and work on them all duramax cummins powerstoke I just bleed gm blue and am a die hard duramax guy :thumb: also tech's are strict so out of sight out of mind when checked at pulls as John Kennedy said to me once in a email. I have found that Levi and dei make a blanket that works on the factory Garrett turbine housing just gotta make up my mind now. Now my next question is wrapping the up pipes want errode the faster like it does gas headers will it I know diesels don't have condensation present in the exhaust like gas conterparts do but I don't want rust them out like I've seen happen to headers in the past from wrapping them. Enlighten me please as I have waited a long time to finally put my first turbo on and I want to do it right to enjoy it for a long time you know:thumb:

I just installed Levi's up-pipe blankets this weekend and would 100% recommend them vs wrapping. The fitment is awesome and installation wasn't bad (I had the transmission out as well as the downpipe/pedestal).

I would personally recommend Levi over DEI for 2 reasons: 1) his products are extremely well made and 2) he is a site sponsor.

Robby Avery

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Jul 31, 2008
Norman Park, Georgia
Alright so I'm gonna have to wait on up pipes but my quiestion is at what point are upgraded up-pipes needed? I've seen stock ones hold fine on 800 hp lb7 with out nitrous at what point are they needed? my fleece 71.5mm cheetah will probably only get me to 40psi max are stock up pipes fine or after market ones on the to do list? thanks

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
I have Rick's uppies on Black Max, and stock uppies on Emma.

It is hard to compare because of differences in tuning and turbos (366 internally gated T3 on Black Max vs 366 no gate T4 on Emma), but I think Black Max ran slightly cooler EGT's while just running down the road when it was run as a single. Just looking at Rick's vs the stockers, Rick's will flow better, but I'm not sure how that equates to final performance. He also uses a better bellows than what GM provides (or provided on my LB7's)

I do know that it gets pretty cozy between the uppies and the down pipe with the larger diameter of the 2" up pipe. This is also one of the first 2" pipe set that Rick made, so there may have been updates in the last 10 years... :eek::eek:

And to restate what has already been said....Use Levi's blankets for the turbo hot side and uppies. He makes REALLY nice stuff!:thumb::thumb:

Robby Avery

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Jul 31, 2008
Norman Park, Georgia
Alright so I'm in a dilemma I'm trying to figure out if anyone knows what compressor cover fleece uses on there cheetah. I bought a used lbz housing from juddski on here thanks tim by the way. But after having it machined it doesn't look the same I'm guessing fleece uses a 4094 housing because when I compare the two, the fleece has Garrett and patient numbers present on the housing where as the lbz housing dosent and the fleece cover is smooth inlet where the machined one looks to have just been lathe turned on lbz cover can anyone tell me the difference and if I need to get another cover I'll see if I can get pictures of them side by side. Thanks:thumb:

Added note I'm worndering if the housing needs to be turned on a cnc machine to get the tapered lip for the contour of the compressor wheel I've downloaded tapatalk but can't figure out how to upload pictures enlighten me please I have a LG tablet with Android software thanks

Last edited:

Robby Avery

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Jul 31, 2008
Norman Park, Georgia
The fleece housing is smooth on the contour and the lbz has a cast lip if you study the pictures also the fleece housing has the outlet dent the taper of the inlet is different as well which leads me to believe it's a 4094or 40 series cover should I take it back and have the machine finish it or who does cnc to get it spot on thanks

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Robby Avery

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Jul 31, 2008
Norman Park, Georgia
Pictures finally0721191740b.jpg0721191739a.jpg0721191740a.jpg0721191738.jpg0721191740.jpg0721191741.jpg0721191741b.jpg0721191739.jpg0721191739b.jpg0721191741a.jpg

Attachments

• 0721191740b.jpg
    0721191740b.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 0721191739a.jpg
    0721191739a.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 0721191740a.jpg
    0721191740a.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 0721191738.jpg
    0721191738.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 0721191740.jpg
    0721191740.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 0721191741.jpg
    0721191741.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 0721191741b.jpg
    0721191741b.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 0721191739.jpg
    0721191739.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 0721191739b.jpg
    0721191739b.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 0721191741a.jpg
    0721191741a.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 49

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Who machined the cover for you? If it wasn't fleece, did you give them the wheel to match it's profile? And yes, there are a few Garret covers that fit that backing plate flange.

Robby Avery

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Jul 31, 2008
Norman Park, Georgia
It was a machine shop local to me but now I'm second guessing it. I asked for the housing to mirror the fleece housing however the cut made looks to be straight with no tapered cone or contour for the compressor wheel. I asked if they needed the whole turbo and they said no just the cover was acceptable so I agreed to let them cut it and they did a good job just by no way mirrors the tapered contour of the fleece one

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
It was a machine shop local to me but now I'm second guessing it. I asked for the housing to mirror the fleece housing however the cut made looks to be straight with no tapered cone or contour for the compressor wheel. I asked if they needed the whole turbo and they said no just the cover was acceptable so I agreed to let them cut it and they did a good job just by no way mirrors the tapered contour of the fleece one

That's a problem

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Hack job by the machine shop, they need to wheel to know what radius to cut in the cover. If all they did was bore a straight hole oversized, it can be fixed

Robby Avery

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Jul 31, 2008
Norman Park, Georgia
Yes it was cut straight through with no taper or contour thats why I posted pictures so it could be viewed and opinions could be given. if I need a new cover just tell me and I'll be looking for one this is my first turbo and I want it done right I've waited 13 years and ill wait as long as it takes to get it right :thumb:

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
After going back and reading what all you’ve been asking and gone through, as well as how many times you have stated you want it done “right”, in my personal opinion you need to send the turbo to fleece and let them get it fixed up for you. If you don’t want to do that, contact Mark Broviak (Danville). Not sure if he can or will do the work for you since it’s not his turbo, but he can at least point you in the correct direction.

Actually, contacting Mark first may be the best option. He’s the VGT guru. I’d also recommend him for tuning the truck after all is said and done.

Robby Avery

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Jul 31, 2008
Norman Park, Georgia
Zakk my problem is going to be shipping I'm extremely leery of shipping this turbo due to the fact that the dented housing could have been during shipping when I bought it. plus I could not get fleece to give me an exact quote on what a new cover matched was going to cost. if they will do exactly the way it was sure but still I'm leery it will get lost in shipping then I'm out a lot of money on a turbo I've waited so long to get. Had lot of that happen lately. Things being lost in shipping and then what do you do go out and buy something no longer made hum? Yes I want it done right I also asked if anyone knew what compressor housing they use being its smooth on the lower volute of the comp housing? Check the pictures can be seen clearly. Would like to match it. If I finally bite the bullet and send it to fleece I'm going to build a crate to fully enclose it so no damage can occur during shipping. Anyone have any pictures of how they ship turbos so no damage occurs? Thanks and all help and opinions are much appreciated