Another smoker....

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
https://youtu.be/Jb1pwGDr_lk

Ran across his truck in my YouTube escapades the other night. I won’t lie that it’s a quick truck, tho I feel he’s well over rated the power. Just my opinion, since he’s never been on the dyno. With air that big, (mentioned the bigger turbo is a s5100) and only 100 over injectors, I think the smoke output is ridiculous. There’s no reason that much air can’t keep it clean. Also, correct me if I’m wrong but 100 overs aren’t enough to get you into the 4 digit mark at the wheels. Plus, I like that he’s blown thru a bunch of trans, yet is using ATS parts. Thought I’d share this. Thought it was kinda funny but also wanted to thank all the guys here for sharing their knowledge. Otherwise I’d be out here throwing big name sh!t in my truck smoking and breaking stuff like crazy. I may be young and broke, but thanks to this site I’ve got a little bit of sense now. :thumb:

Last edited:

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
It’s probably draining rail. 100 overs should be enough to get 1000hp easily especially with LB7 injectors. 1200 might be exaggerated.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i think he has issues that have yet to be found. no reason it should smoke that much unless he running a hell of alot of pulse width

you can hit 4 digits on 100 overs pretty easy. hell you can hit 4 digits on 45% overs. Matt Larson did it years ago, track proven, on his rc/lb triple turbo LB7. just depends on air and how much pulse width.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Learn something new every day. In the video he says his PW is maxed out. I’m surprised the truck is together still. I can’t imagine his EGTs with it burning this dirty.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
https://youtu.be/Jb1pwGDr_lk

Ran across his truck in my YouTube escapades the other night. I won’t lie that it’s a quick truck, tho I feel he’s well over rated the power. Just my opinion, since he’s never been on the dyno. With air that big, (mentioned the bigger turbo is a s5100) and only 100 over injectors, I think the smoke output is ridiculous. There’s no reason that much air can’t keep it clean. Also, correct me if I’m wrong but 100 overs aren’t enough to get you into the 4 digit mark at the wheels. Plus, I like that he’s blown thru a bunch of trans, yet is using ATS parts. Thought I’d share this. Thought it was kinda funny but also wanted to thank all the guys here for sharing their knowledge. Otherwise I’d be out here throwing big name sh!t in my truck smoking and breaking stuff like crazy. I may be young and broke, but thanks to this site I’ve got a little bit of sense now. :thumb:

The smoke output is overkill. Don't get me wrong, on a drag race or sled pull only file its not a major issue to be over fueled some to ensure you're getting every last drop of power from the parts available. That said, that level of smoke output on the street is not acceptable in my opinion.

He needs some tuning revisions and larger injectors in my opinion to fully utilize that air setup. I cannot comment on horsepower that can be supported with 100% overs but I don't see that as being a massive stretch as long as the thing holds rail. For example, if he is running 2800us (throwing a number out there off a flow sheet I found that is a few years old) that should be around 360mm3 of fuel. That is a good amount of fuel, enough for over 1000hp wheel hp theoretically. Tuning will determine how effective that total fuel volume is as well as when it is injected.

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
It's either not tuned properly or there are charge pipe leaks/setup problems in the compound setup.

Probably has a lot of power left on the table there actually... 750hp feels a lot like 1000hp if you dont have anything else to reference.

750whp on the street is terrifying...almost uncontrollable even in 4wd.

Reactions: RMJ_LB7

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I honestly wasn’t aware that 100 overs were enough for that amount of power. I’d love to find the thread on 4 digits with 45 overs. Sounds like a good read. So, that being said, theoretically, would a 72stg2r topped with a s485 be enough air to reach 1000whp?

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
What a smokey pig holy hell,
I'm pretty sure that dude has the build list half ass memorized because he had only half an idea of what he was talking about.
Knew just enough to sould like an idiot

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
I honestly wasn’t aware that 100 overs were enough for that amount of power. I’d love to find the thread on 4 digits with 45 overs. Sounds like a good read. So, that being said, theoretically, would a 72stg2r topped with a s485 be enough air to reach 1000whp?

You would be really pushing air through that stock frame charger...but yeah it would get close. Adding spray would give you back any air you were lacking.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
You would be really pushing air through that stock frame charger...but yeah it would get close. Adding spray would give you back any air you were lacking.

Danville has done it many times. Mark has said that a 68r with a 484-485 is enough to break 1000, said the 72r should do ~1100 with a 484-485 really pushing it hard.

Mark himself has more than that when he ran it as triples on his truck (White Lightning).

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
Danville has done it many times. Mark has said that a 68r with a 484-485 is enough to break 1000, said the 72r should do ~1100 with a 484-485 really pushing it hard.

Mark himself has more than that when he ran it as triples on his truck (White Lightning).

It's a squeeze for sure. I think someone hit like 870 on a bone stock charger and spray. Was a long time ago I forget who...maybe Pat remembers?

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC

Good point. I think I’ve read that thread and forgot about it. Toying with the idea of triples in the future. Not really sure how they work, haven’t read up much on them.

I agree with Sean in the owner. He sounds like he knows just enough to be dangerous. Tho he says he does all his work himself. Props for having a quick truck, but DEFINITELY needs more refinement to be using it’s full potential.

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
Toying with the idea of triples in the future. Not really sure how they work, haven’t read up much on them.

They work basically the same as a twin setup...except that instead of one large atmo charger it uses two smaller chargers.

For example instead of putting an s480 over an s369, you could put two s366 over the s369.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
They work basically the same as a twin setup...except that instead of one large atmo charger it uses two smaller chargers.

For example instead of putting an s480 over an s369, you could put two s366 over the s369.

That’s what I was thinking it was. Thank you for the clarification. I’m assuming this gives better spool and torque?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
That’s what I was thinking it was. Thank you for the clarification. I’m assuming this gives better spool and torque?

Provides better spool up but at the cost of making the thing almost impossible to work on with the piping installed due to the amount of piping required to make all the connections. Also, it gets way more complicated with oil feeds/drains. Oil temps also can increase as you now have more turbos heating up the oil etc.

There are always trade-offs to each setup. For most guys compounds are the way to go as they are proven, simple, and the most cost effective. I'm going a big single (480/96) because feeling that big single hit is one of the most addictive things but that comes with sacrificing spool up/drivability.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

i dont think Matt had one on here. At the time, he worked for Trent at EPR. Him and trent came down to phx for the NHRDA opener with trents cc/lb and matts truck. they both raced. matt was running 3 s366 chargers, was the first triple kit trent made before the whole triple craze started. he was running low 10s all weekend (fastest that truck ever ran at the time). trent blew an injector up and they wound up putting the cc/lb on the flat bed and towed it back with the reg cab to salt lake.

as for triples over twins, the idea is you gain more cfm out of the setup than you can with a twin setup. the two smaller chargers can come on a little sooner and then flow more air within their maps than what a single large primary could when looking at comparable sizes for spool/pr/ etc. back then there were more constraints as far as turbo sizes and what was available. now its kinda up to you if you want it. they take alot of space and are not cheap. heads, cams, converters and other parts have changed the requirement for people needing something that will build boost on lower rpm but flow lots of CFM at high rpm.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL

Hell yes. 1200whp actually.