Exhaust without a tune

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
not much, 8 key cylces, maybe 50 miles

you still have time before it codes on ya ;)

not using hp or efi live, im just going by the dtc index as listed on prodemand.

2018 l5p

i was also thinking along those lines, using an exhaust cut out or something like that.

you wont find a DTC for the 700 mile regen. its a system check that will then send a code for something reading different. the computer will then start running self tests to see why regen has not happen. when it never seen an EGT differential, you will probably get codes for inefficient DPF or a bad EGT sensor and so on for nox. i cant tell you what it will throw but dont get specific on the DTC code, look for a generalized dtc that could explain this. remember, the system wasnt built around throwing codes for missing parts, only when things become worn out, damaged, or start failing.

Jakezed22

Dec 2, 2016
you still have time before it codes on ya ;)

you wont find a DTC for the 700 mile regen. its a system check that will then send a code for something reading different. the computer will then start running self tests to see why regen has not happen. when it never seen an EGT differential, you will probably get codes for inefficient DPF or a bad EGT sensor and so on for nox. i cant tell you what it will throw but dont get specific on the DTC code, look for a generalized dtc that could explain this. remember, the system wasnt built around throwing codes for missing parts, only when things become worn out, damaged, or start failing.

thanks, good info here

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
This is one of the reasons that forums have gone down hill so badly. Here's a guy that is trying something different and getting beat up over sharing his thoughts. If this mentality was the norm back in the early 2000's when the duramax started coming around in the performance side of things, not much would of been done. We tried shit and failed many times but this gave the community more data and we came up with ideas. Some worked and some didn't but we mostly worked together.

Like my Mom always said if you can't say something helpful, then shut the he!! up. I can still learn a lot from my Mom.:D

Jakezed22

Dec 2, 2016
well everyone on the internet is so gosh darn smart its hard to try something new these days!

Anyways, rob have you ever thought of doing an electronic cutout right before the scr? once the mileage ran out a guy could switch it shut, let it regen then open her up again.

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
well everyone on the internet is so gosh darn smart its hard to try something new these days!

Anyways, rob have you ever thought of doing an electronic cutout right before the scr? once the mileage ran out a guy could switch it shut, let it regen then open her up again.

A cutout set up like that actually might work, for a short period of time...but you'd have to deal with the ECU getting angry every so often and then key-cycling your way out of those codes.

Jakezed22

Dec 2, 2016
A cutout set up like that actually might work, for a short period of time...but you'd have to deal with the ECU getting angry every so often and then key-cycling your way out of those codes.

most of us have a handheld scanner so as long as the codes arent permanment ones should be able to clear them.

by rights should only need to close it every 700 miles for a regen. would be interesting to see what the scr would do with a cut out.

at the very least it would cut down on regens and save some fuel.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Wait for the truck to regen. Run your cut out 100% open and close it 15% every 100 miles. Might be enough for the truck to think everything is operating correctly

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
How often are you regenning? If it’s an lml we are talking about, you won’t drop fuel mileage any. If it’s an lmm, I’d delete it out of pure fact of how it sends the extra fuel down stream

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
we are talking l5p, if it was a lmm or lml i would just program it.

you never specified ;), that helps a touch. Newbs have a hard time putting threads in the right spot so assuming gets us nowhere.

l5p and diesel usage wouldnt change then, only def usage. if you get a mpg increase, make sure you are hand calcing it and would need to put the equipment back on to confirm the change isnt a placebo affect

Jakezed22

Dec 2, 2016
i would think if the exhaust isnt going through the dpf then it wont plug and wont regen as often wich would save the fuel being wasted during regen, what do you think?

Agreed the regen interval varies vastly on driving habits.

M.A.M.

Jan 9, 2016
Ohio
The ECM will command a regen at 815 miles +/- a few miles if the DPF doesn't call for it first.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The ECM will command a regen at 815 miles +/- a few miles if the DPF doesn't call for it first.

This

Just got done talking with Josh who broke into and tunes the l5p. He confirmed the same. The truck will do a mandatory regen to self check the system and sensors.

When you hit those miles, let us know what happens

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
At the end of the day, without a tune there is really nothing to gain besides sound anyway. I don't entirely understand the point. You'll never gain power without adding fuel.

Jakezed22

Dec 2, 2016
This

Just got done talking with Josh who broke into and tunes the l5p. He confirmed the same. The truck will do a mandatory regen to self check the system and sensors.

When you hit those miles, let us know what happens

see theres something i didnt know, thanks

well after only one day i got a P1197 , so the pyros wont stay happy with it off very long. Which rules out a cutout cause you couldnt even make it a day without a light.

Yah theres not a heck of alot to gain with this, but its pretty neat to understand how the system works and hey who doesnt like to here a diesel bark.

Thanks for all the info

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
josh was thinking you wouldnt get past 3-5 key cycles before you got a light. least you made it past that :roflmao: