L5P L5P Tuning

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Lol sure because people would rather pay 50,000 for a two year old truck that will break cranks and pistons(oh and the cp4 grenade) or get a new truck with 0% financing at 63,000.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Lol sure because people would rather pay 50,000 for a two year old truck that will break cranks and pistons(oh and the cp4 grenade) or get a new truck with 0% financing at 63,000.

Strong words considering the l5p hasn’t even really been tested yet to see how it will last with power thrown at it.

FWIW all years break cranks lml seems to be the most durable in that regard. Or at least the cheapest.

CP4 is what it is. Spend $1500 to fix it or roll the dice. Many haven’t had issues.

Tuneable LML for a fraction of the cost of tuning the l5p currently? I’ll take the lml. Oh wait, I did.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
There hasn't been this much good smack talk based on new information on DD in years! I love it!

Now that the L5P is unlocked, I'm starting to consider upgrading from my 2003. Not that I can afford to, but I can consider all I want for free!

I'd love to know more technical details on how they got unlocked, but I bet that won't be common knowledge for years still. But this is exciting!

Sent from my Cat S60 using Tapatalk

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
I'll find a boat to drop one in this winter and tell ya if they are any better or not..

Ya know I've played with these engines for nine years now, and still never owned one with a GM badge on it... LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach

So you've been wasting the last 10 years on here discussing these junk crank breakers then???:rofl::rofl:

Like stated earlier, L5P nut swingers have nothing to swing around yet but internet posts and we all know how valid they are...:roflmao:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
So you've been wasting the last 10 years on here discussing these junk crank breakers then???:rofl::rofl:

Like stated earlier, L5P nut swingers have nothing to swing around yet but internet posts and we all know how valid they are...:roflmao:

Well you never know. They could be really good best yet. Too early to tell IMO. I bet we never see single tunes out for less than $1000 though with its current ecm. Too much going in there as of now to justify the work to do it.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Well you never know. They could be really good best yet. Too early to tell IMO. I bet we never see single tunes out for less than $1000 though with its current ecm. Too much going in there as of now to justify the work to do it.

X2. How long will parts last down the road. So many people going crazy about this. To me I'd wait a year for the bugs to get worked out and let others find the weak points. I have a gut feeling trans wont last on the street.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal

I think you forget stock for stock the L5P will drive circles around an LML towing or unloaded. Even a tuned LML won’t touch an L5P going up a grade towing. Sorry they’re just better.

beach_33

Feb 18, 2008
des moines, IA
I think you forget stock for stock the L5P will drive circles around an LML towing or unloaded. Even a tuned LML won’t touch an L5P going up a grade towing. Sorry they’re just better.

Please explain how. My lml tows my 16k boat great and it’s stock other than intake. But I’ve been contemplating moving to an l5p for a while. I’ve even thought of making the jump to for just because of the interior and the fact that they are ahead of the game in bells and whistles compared to gym

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Please explain how. My lml tows my 16k boat great and it’s stock other than intake. But I’ve been contemplating moving to an l5p for a while. I’ve even thought of making the jump to for just because of the interior and the fact that they are ahead of the game in bells and whistles compared to gym

The heads flow a shit ton more air, the spool and torque are the biggest differences. The hood scoop is very functional, high altitudes and heat don’t effect the truck as much.

D1rty-max

Spare some change?
Jul 16, 2015
Longview, TX
The heads flow a shit ton more air, the spool and torque are the biggest differences. The hood scoop is very functional, high altitudes and heat don’t effect the truck as much.

Not to mention the Turbo seems to be way more responsive when they moved away from hydraulic actuated vanes to electric. I’m sure the increase in flow from the heads is the main reason but would think this certainly helps in response.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach

It's my opinion Cheerios are better than Wheaties...:happy2:

Sorry they just taste better!!!

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
From an engineering standpoint, the L5P is better in every way. Common rail fuel systems have been around long enough I doubt there are many issues from ANY of the major manufacturers (insert cp4 comments here).

As with anything computer controlled, drivability will never be the same across the board. You could install the same calibration in every truck, some people will complain and others don't.

RobsDmax

Mar 19, 2012
Arthur, Ontario
Only thing that worries me is that Kory says he is past the dealer re-learn, I am assuming this is by shutting anti theft off in the tune. Just what I would want on a 70K Denali, no anti theft....

gmc502

Jan 16, 2011
Only thing that worries me is that Kory says he is past the dealer re-learn, I am assuming this is by shutting anti theft off in the tune. Just what I would want on a 70K Denali, no anti theft....

you know,,insurance pays best.:D:D

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
If you haven't watched Banks L5p vs Lml video that'd be a good watch.. If I remember right the bolt pattern is different..

Nope, l5p heads will bolt to any block but there are two small bolts that won’t be used. There are two more of the tiny 8mm ones on the l5p head

M.A.M.

Jan 9, 2016
Ohio
Manifolds and up-pipes will probably have to be modified, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk