Radio Wiring Gremlins

fish

Polish Mafia
Staff member
Jul 26, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Long story long, I've had my Avid 6000 nex radio in the truck for the last 4 years, it's always ran without a problem.

Last month out of the blue the sound in the speakers stopped intermittently working. All 4 speakers except for the sub would randomly cut out and only the subwoofer with it's own amp would keep playing. All it would take to fix the issue was turning the radio off and on and 4 speakers would work again just fine.

Fast forward to this week, the speakers no longer play any sound.

Here are the a few things that I've done:

1. Checked with a different deck, used the same wiring, but plugged in a newer version of the deck, still no sound, subwoofer works.
2. Checked all the fuses, engine bay and by the driver door, all are working.
3. Check the wiring all the way from the adapter wiring to the speaker, connection seems solid, multimeter confirmed that.
4. Checked with a different speaker in the truck, same wiring, still no sound coming out.
5. Took the speaker out of the truck plugged it into my offroad car, speaker works fine.

Short of getting an amp and running new wire to the speakers, I'm out of ideas.

This is my 2006 Silverado 3500, non-bose radio, no rear audio control, no onstar, came originally with the single cd radio.

I'm out of ideas, any suggestions would be appriciated

Last edited:

fish

Polish Mafia
Staff member
Jul 26, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Did you try only hooking up one speaker at a time?

I did not, I will give that a try.

Do you have metro or PAC interface module? Those are most likely your issue.

God damn it, I was looking at this shitty plastic chinese box and was wondering myself if it's causing issues. Ordering one now. Thanks!

I'll give it a try when it comes in.

Edit - wait a second, thought you were talking about the interface to keep my steering wheels controls. That's the shitty chinese box I was refering to. Looks like the pac module has something to do with the stock subwoofer? In my case my truck didn't come with one.

Edit Edit - I have one of these, I'll order it just to be safe. https://smile.amazon.com/Axxess-ASW...-4&keywords=silverado+steering+wheel+controls

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I did not, I will give that a try.

God damn it, I was looking at this shitty plastic chinese box and was wondering myself if it's causing issues. Ordering one now. Thanks!

I'll give it a try when it comes in.

Edit - wait a second, thought you were talking about the interface to keep my steering wheels controls. That's the shitty chinese box I was refering to. Looks like the pac module has something to do with the stock subwoofer? In my case my truck didn't come with one.

He’s talking about that module buddy. The one that keeps the door chime, steering controls and other crap workin in your rig.

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
Everything goes through the can bus data. Without the interface to communicate to the BCM, the speakers won't work.

fish

Polish Mafia
Staff member
Jul 26, 2012
Peoria, AZ

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
From what I have seen of most radio's protection circuits, if there is a short on any one speaker, ALL speakers are turned off to protect the radio. The interface module could be the problem, and if it isn't, try disconnecting the speakers one at a time as close to the head unit as possible.

Or just take a multimeter and measure the resistance of all the speakers at the connector to the head unit. They should all be the same value, probably 4 or 8 ohms. If one is different from the rest, trace that wiring and see what you find.

fish

Polish Mafia
Staff member
Jul 26, 2012
Peoria, AZ
From what I have seen of most radio's protection circuits, if there is a short on any one speaker, ALL speakers are turned off to protect the radio. The interface module could be the problem, and if it isn't, try disconnecting the speakers one at a time as close to the head unit as possible.

Or just take a multimeter and measure the resistance of all the speakers at the connector to the head unit. They should all be the same value, probably 4 or 8 ohms. If one is different from the rest, trace that wiring and see what you find.

Will do, thank you!

fish

Polish Mafia
Staff member
Jul 26, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Checking the speaker wires with the ohm setting turned out to be the trick, all the speaker wires expect for the back rear we’re coming back with a 4.0, I took the rear right door panel off and bam.

Thanks guys!