How much longer will this cylinder last.

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
I ran into a similar situation 4 or 5 years ago on an LB7. It was actually worse then this. The owner had an injector stick open and one point on a road trip, and since then had severely overheated it due to blown head gaskets.

He wouldn't let me repair it. So against my better judgment I put everything back together and put the damage I had found, and "repair declined" on the ticket.

To my surprise the truck started and ran fine, even in the cold. Doesn't use oil. And as far as I know is still running today. I couldn't believe it survived the test drive honestly. Sometimes things like this will blow your mind how long it lasts.

I wouldn't count on it however.......

It crossed my mind that this damage could have occurred 30k miles ago when the injectors went out. Or the shop that did the work could have dropped something in the cylinder who knows. I just got the truck.

Im going to run the hell out of it and see what happens. If I see 300 lbs on compression gauge ill stop driving it

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
Just giving an update. 1500 miles still running. 410 lbs today on bad cylinder. 20 more than previous. Fresh battery's and maybe checked it a little warmer than last. But at least it's still hanging in.

Almost camping season if it will ever stop raining around here. I'll post back after the summer towing 8k camper for 3k miles.

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
Just posting. Been awhile. Motor still running strong. 400 lbs in that cylinder. No blow by and not using a drop of oil. Took a 1600 mile trip last summer pulling 7k Travel trailer.

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
Well it's been almost a year. Truck is still running strong. I've put 40k miles on it and most have been pulling 7k pounds. Cylinder is holding up. I'm going to drive it till it dies. Only burns oil and not that much when towing heavy loads. Maybe a quart over 5k oil changes.

I did have to do injectors on the drivers side last year.

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY
Karma would have got me on the first report that it was still doing good! Heck even re checking the compression would have jinxed it for me.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
It really is. I started this tread in 5-15. And all the non Sayers said it wouldn't last. I'm proving them wrong.

some people throw fists full of dirt down their intake and the engine keeps running too.

you arent proving anything other than you are driving on a damaged cylinder and have no care for it. :thumb:

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
An engine with no cylinder scoring or other issues will have that much variance between cylinders. (You mentioned 390 vs 410). I'd be doing exactly what you have been doing.

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
some people throw fists full of dirt down their intake and the engine keeps running too.

you arent proving anything other than you are driving on a damaged cylinder and have no care for it. :thumb:

Chevy1925 you sound kind of bitter? I love my trucks. 447,000 on a half ton and 239,000 today on that truck you say I don't care for? I'm my own mechanic. I dont try and make more work for my self. But if it's running why spend money when someone might take me out tomorrow and total the truck?

pulled 10k today and truck ran awesome. I'll keep updating AND PROVING CHEAVY1925 wrong. Sorry your still butt hurt over 3 years ago about being wrong.

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Hay , if he was only wrong once in three years thats not bad at all , Im wrong alot more than that , just watch my posts , but I dont care because Im old ! LOL !