Aftermarket factory-appearing Duramax block

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
It’s not pictured, but we did add the extra L5P head bolts into the final, the above pics are early work.
You have my attention.

I would love to try the narrow journal crank (which we know is darn strong) with a stock L5P head, which looks like it should flow like crazy. Hook the injectors up to a LB7 or LLY FICM (depending on how much voltage they like) so I can run my RoadRunner for tuning. Would be a whole lot of fun to see what I could do with that combo :D

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
My wish list:

Higher deck
Internal clearance for stroker++ cranks and longer rods
Sleeves from the get go.
Hermaphrodite mounting holes so parts from most years will bolt up.

But that's just me.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
My wish list:

Higher deck
Sleeves from the get go.

But that's just me.

I agree on all points.

Serviceable sleeves would be awesome!!!

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
My wish list:

Higher deck
Sleeves from the get go.

But that's just me.

Please explain this "Hermaphrodite mounting holes" you speak of. I'm intrigued. Never heard of an application like this used in this way. Seen it in many electrical connectors and other type of connections but not on head fasteners

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
He means things like front covers, and bosses for accessory brackets.

Not cylinder heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Aren't the L5P heads just like the previous heads except for an additional couple bolts? As I understand it, if the block is setup for the L5P heads, then you can bolt on any year heads just fine.

Would be interesting to see if the block could have the front/rear cover and accessory bracket holes for all years, or if it would cause problems for sealing or something.

Sent from my Cat S60 using Tapatalk

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
One thing I have always liked about GM is that they tend to leave old bosses and mounting points in tact on new versions of their engine blocks. The bosses may not be tapped in some cases, but they are there if you need to use the block in a different application.

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Glad to finally see this on here, Russ. :thumb: :woott:

I wasn’t planning on making a thread until after the molds were done, because I’m not sure how long it’s going to take them. Heading up tomorrow to finalize everything and do a few minor changes. Once I have castings ready, one of our well known vendors here will be doing the machining as a final product, to make sure all is perfect before going out the door:thumb:, more on that later.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Fingers, you use some of the strangest terms describing these things (Siamese, hermaphrodite) maybe I’ve just never heard them but they actually make sense lol

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Zach, not a dis, but you've never heard of Siamesed cylinders in an engine?

PS, Jon is a very intelligent and creative guy. :hug::thumb:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Mark, cmon.....you want one yesterday, dont ya? The gears of possibility are turning in your head again, arent they? :thumb: