Weight Lifting/Body Building/Strong Man/Training thread

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Chris are you using a good quality lifting/rock climbing chalk? Over under hand grip? I forgot, are you a conventional or sumo puller?

Watch this video Richards explains gripping the bar... I grip just how he explains. My grip has yet to be the failing point of my deadlift.

[YOUTUBE]iQ5rY_beDLY[/YOUTUBE]

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Over under, sumo, no chalk. Im done playing around, this shit hurts my hands. Im ready to cheat with hooks. Ordering a slingshot next week too so i can get over my bench plateau. :rofl:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Haha Chris get some chalk, don't be a bitch like Jesse and use vagina straps:rofl:

Seriously though, Chalk will make all the difference. They make some liquid chalk that doesn't make as much of a mess. You can make your own, crunch up some lifting/climbing chalk and put it in a small squirt bottle with some rubbing alcohol.

And pulling sumo you may want to put some baby powder on your quads. When you get to top of the pull sumo you drag your hands on the tops of your thighs. The under hand is ok but the over hand can get tangled on them meaty wheels and pull your grip open. Baby powder helps your hands slid and not get stuck on the quads. However don't get baby powder on your hands as it has the opposite effect as chalk.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
I got a slingshot chris...it's nice. On week 2 of marks bench program.
Did squats today. Week 2 candito day 1 of lower body.
Bar x12
95 x10
135 x8
155 x5
170 x10...got 9 straight and farted so had to recollect my thoughts going into 10.
175 x 5s x 3r
Conventional deads.
135 x10
185 x 3s x 8r

Leg extensions and leg curls to finish. Lots of stretching and rolling before and after and rode the bike for 10 min after. Really helped kick the lactic acid out of them

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
Like Albert says, chalk is the next step for you. Then think about straps. Either way, carry heavy things with large handles over long periods. Keep working on grip, but a deads max isn't the time to train grip.

If your gym has an issue with chalk, you need to worship in another temple. :rolleyes:

After some back issues, I've moved to double overhand and have always used straps.

Especially in O lift training, I do so much volume, I wouldn't get the same work done without. Grip strength always fails first and then you're either in some gross position or shorting your weights for work sets.

If you are set on straps and train enough volume so as to not short change your progress towards better grip strength, I recommend these: http://www.roguefitness.com/speed-wrist-straps-oly-style

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
A. Max of complex: 2 rep push press, 1 power jerk. Feeling slow, just hit sets at 185 on a hard bar.

We just got some bars with no whip below 315 and they have been tough, so I'm doing overhead work on them right now. Huge difference in these bars. On a real Eleiko jerk aint no thing. BOOOIIINNNG.

B. 27-21-15-9 of:
ring pushups
pendlay rows at 135
*20 double unders to start each round
Rest: 3 min
Then: 50 SDHP with 80lb kettlebell as fast as possible.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Yeah I'm just gonna buy some hooks. At 148 pounds BW, 365 is almost 2.5x me. It's freakin heavy for me. I'm not interested in training my grip. Ain't nobody got time for that. Lol I just want to know what kind of hooks to buy. Thanks for the advice guys for real, but I know the limit of my grip. I only want a 405 for personal satisfaction and to say I did it when I'm 70. :D I'm not really that serious about it. I go heavy once every couple months and I don't want to fail when I know I can lift it.

I do carry heavy things every day at work. Those straps look like they hurt.

I have it on video. I'll upload it.

Please subscribe. :spit:

https://youtu.be/o63apfhbdMM

Last edited:

Stancedlb7

Cummin Stroke this Duramax
Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
TBH it sounds like you need to work on your form. Learn to push your knees out!! You are most likely leaning too far forward. Arch you back like you should benching. Looking up at the ceiling helped me. And before you resort to chalk try the hook grip.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Yeah I'm just gonna buy some hooks. At 148 pounds BW, 365 is almost 2.5x me. It's freakin heavy for me. I'm not interested in training my grip. Ain't nobody got time for that. Lol I just want to know what kind of hooks to buy. Thanks for the advice guys for real, but I know the limit of my grip. I only want a 405 for personal satisfaction and to say I did it when I'm 70. :D I'm not really that serious about it. I go heavy once every couple months and I don't want to fail when I know I can lift it.

I do carry heavy things every day at work. Those straps look like they hurt.

I have it on video. I'll upload it.

Please subscribe. :spit:

https://youtu.be/o63apfhbdMM

Damn chris I didn't know you were that light lol, I have 10 pounds on you. And I'm with you on the grip, my hands are junk, I've been hard on them and holding a brake handle all day didn't help.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
TBH it sounds like you need to work on your form. Learn to push your knees out!! You are most likely leaning too far forward. Arch you back like you should benching. Looking up at the ceiling helped me. And before you resort to chalk try the hook grip.

My form is fine. 365 is 50 pounds more than what I work at. I can dead 315 in sets of 3-4 both ways. Like i said above, i just want to be able to cheat when i feel like going heavy. They are NOT going to be used for my regular workouts! So far no one has answerd my question as to what hooks to buy. I guess I should just order the best reviewed pair I can find and see how they work.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Why arch in deadlift....all the pros I've seen and videos am I've watched and how to say to keep you back tight, engage your lats, keep your back flat and at lockout don't over extend backward. Form looked fine to me chris. I know zero about hooks, best I could do is recommend versa grips...Guess they are some of the best

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Versa-Gripps look cool. Is that what Jesse uses?

If I looked at the ceiling any more my neck would snap. Lol I'm trying to upload a pic but it's being stupid.

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
Day one of a new round of candito yesterday after five weeks without touching a weight. Was not enjoyable.

Chris you sure are moving that weight well, if you can hold on to it you'll pull it easy.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
A. 1RM max farmer handle deads: 490

B. 2x max carry distance with 75% of above in 60 seconds

C. 400m run
20 burpee box jump overs
10 sandbag over shoulders (advance on turf 10yds per 2 reps)
30 yd sandbag carry
30 yd sprint

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Well jacked my wrist up doing a project on the house yesterday. Can hardly move it. So bench is out of the question and probably squats and definitely deadlifts....FML

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo

If I looked at the ceiling any more my neck would snap. Lol I'm trying to upload a pic but it's being stupid.

Versa grip pros, if there is anything better, you wouldn't need it. I tried a guys straps and was dead set on buying them and then I used his 50 dollar versa grips and I did buy them the next day. I have added over a hundred pounds to my sets with these things. But that's mostly because I have poor natural "no chalk" grip. I pulled 505 4 times in a row and never even batted an eye at my grip.

On a side note I'm still at it but just nothing new or any new gains, still mid 240s body weight. Been benching with 295 and 315 for 5 sets of 3 and 4. Other than that just trying to get the weight I'm lifting to feel easier before I step up again.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Haha Chris get some chalk, don't be a bitch like Jesse and use vagina straps:rofl:

Seriously though, Chalk will make all the difference. They make some liquid chalk that doesn't make as much of a mess. You can make your own, crunch up some lifting/climbing chalk and put it in a small squirt bottle with some rubbing alcohol.

And pulling sumo you may want to put some baby powder on your quads. When you get to top of the pull sumo you drag your hands on the tops of your thighs. The under hand is ok but the over hand can get tangled on them meaty wheels and pull your grip open. Baby powder helps your hands slid and not get stuck on the quads. However don't get baby powder on your hands as it has the opposite effect as chalk.

Lol I love my vagina grips, at least I'm a man and don't use baby powder:binky: :D

I did the rubbing alcohol and chalk and just keep in mind the tip of a squeeze bottle can get plugged up and dry out over night and when the plug shoots out of the bottle it can make a hell of a mess. So use a bottle with a good sized hole in it. I've also got a 30 dollar bottle of liquid grip and I used it like 5 times and gave up. Rub it on wait for it to dry, and I had to reapply every set. It's still in my cabinet probably dried out lol.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo

Might as well be a post whore since I haven't replied in a while lol. I don't know everyone's thoughts but I try to keep a neutral position with my head and just look straight ahead. I've heard it's bad to look up or back really far because it can do some funky stuff with your spine. A friend of a friend told me kind of thing. He said it binds up the top of your spine and can put it in an unnatural position. I'm no expert more so opening it up for discussion.