San Antonio Area

stroke250

I May Be Lost...
Jul 1, 2008
Idaho
Didn't see that Texas had its own member area.

There is a possibility that my job at CAT will move me to San Antonio, Texas. Just looking for insight from fellow members in the area. Pending the move happens, I do not want to live in the city. I like the country and would want a short commute ideally. What about emissions checks? Good areas to live, etc. I think there are a good number of members from the area and would trust their opinions.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
Im in SA. No emission checks down here. As for the country lifestyle you can live south of town or north of town. Either way there wont be a short sweet commute. South can be a little ghetto and north is a little expensive lol. I live right around the airport, very centralized location and i can commute anywhere in the city in a timely manner.

stroke250

I May Be Lost...
Jul 1, 2008
Idaho
Im in SA. No emission checks down here. As for the country lifestyle you can live south of town or north of town. Either way there wont be a short sweet commute. South can be a little ghetto and north is a little expensive lol. I live right around the airport, very centralized location and i can commute anywhere in the city in a timely manner.

Thanks! How are property prices on the outskirts? I believe our building will be on the east side of San Antonio if that helps( old Titan building).

iPhattMatt

Looking for a new job!!
Sep 2, 2011
Moorpark, CA
I lived in the North Central part of San Antonio for 4 years, by the JW Marriott and it was really nice. Newer part of town too. We bought a 2 year old house for cheap, at least it was cheap in my opinion. We moved from southern Cali, so everything was cheap. We were 5 mins from shopping, 5 minutes from the country, 20 mins from the airport, and about 25 mins from down town.

The school districts out there are good, at least that's what I heard. We didn't have our kid until we left Texas. I would move back there in a heart beat if the right opportunity came along.

Good luck on the move!

AsphaltNick

Oct 29, 2015
Didn't see that Texas had its own member area.

There is a possibility that my job at CAT will move me to San Antonio, Texas. Just looking for insight from fellow members in the area. Pending the move happens, I do not want to live in the city. I like the country and would want a short commute ideally. What about emissions checks? Good areas to live, etc. I think there are a good number of members from the area and would trust their opinions.

Thanks in advance!
I live in San Antonio Holt cat is on the south east side of town you can go south on 181 toward floresville or out 87 like China grove,Adkins both of those are far enough out and close enough in you will find that prices of these places have gone down dramatically since the oil field let up

Last edited:

stroke250

I May Be Lost...
Jul 1, 2008
Idaho
I live in San Antonio Holt cat is on the south east side of town you can go south on 181 toward floresville or out 87 like China grove,Adkins both of those are far enough out and close enough in you will find that prices of these places have gone down dramatically since the oil field let up

Thanks! I'll check those places out.

iPhattMatt

Looking for a new job!!
Sep 2, 2011
Moorpark, CA
A lot of people like Helotes because it is technically in San Antonio but it is its own city. I don't get it but apparently they have lower property taxes there. For what it is worth, I always enjoyed the north and west sides of town. You don't have to drive far to get to what you want. Besides, there is a Bass Pro shop in the north west corner of town. :)

stroke250

I May Be Lost...
Jul 1, 2008
Idaho
That will be nice! I currently have a Bass Pro 20 minutes away now. It would be nice to have the same convenience.

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I'm from the Helotes area. I enjoy it, they're doing quite a bit of expanding out here now. If you can afford it, I normally recommend the Northwest side of town, outside of loop 1604 between Bandera and 281. Nicest areas, homes in the $200's-millions and low violent crime rate.

I generally don't go to the south or east sides of town, unless I'm traveling to Corpus or Houston. That's more industrial and military areas - but mostly because this area has everything I need.

stroke250

I May Be Lost...
Jul 1, 2008
Idaho
dont go too far east. the northeast side is a good place to live.

Is it that bad?

I ideally just want a nice area with room for a decent garage/or that has one and a fenced yard or big area for my dogs. I am not against in town just prefer something more "country".

stroke250

I May Be Lost...
Jul 1, 2008
Idaho
Bumping this back up. Looks like it's happening for sure but Seguin instead. Any places to look for housing wise? I want country but close to the necessities.

prostreeter600

Street rodder
Jul 18, 2010
Dallas Tx
Not sure exactly what's available but there is a lot more country areas near Seguin that will be closer to town there than in San Antonio . Seguin in smaller and no where near as busy . It's more lay back . If you like country you'll Love Seguin

stroke250

I May Be Lost...
Jul 1, 2008
Idaho
Not sure exactly what's available but there is a lot more country areas near Seguin that will be closer to town there than in San Antonio . Seguin in smaller and no where near as busy . It's more lay back . If you like country you'll Love Seguin

Thanks! From what I am finding in Seguin, it certainly does seem like a nice area. I have also heard New Braufnels is good as well.