Help: Education

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
This is probably in the wrong topic. So I been think for a while about continuing my education. I can pretty much do everything on a vehicle except one thing, transmissions. I have done a few but am in no way an expert. I would like to learn the fluid dynamics of them and how everything works together. I have basics down I think.

Is there a vocational college people went to that taught them or is it a self taught profession? I have looked into the local ivy tech and they offer an automotive that does basics with hands on. The problem is I don't need everything looking mainly for just transmission repair. Anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I've got my Allison certification for 1-2k and 3-4K I got it tru my work but before I had to do a bunch of online courses then after that sign up for hands on.

More Info please. I only need 1000 stuff.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Transmissions, Allisons in particular, scare me. :roflmao:

Far too easy to screw one up.

rgullett83

Oct 27, 2008
Illinois
As Mike L has always said they are simple until they don't work;) I have talked to him, Evan, Merchant, George at suncoast, Matt at blackout etc.. With random issues over the years. All have been helpful and very knowledgeable. There are some very intelligent folks here

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
I don't need all the other stuff. I can do almost anything. Of coarse I don't have a paper saying so. But transmissions in general not just the allison. Is what I'm intrested in. I don't think I would want to go through a whole class just to be certified one transmission. Like a transmission master tech would be the certification I would want. Once you learn and know the particulars on a certain trans, aftermarket and modifications would be R&D and trial and error. That would be later on down the road.

Honestly I'm surprised there is not a certification just for transmissions being there is so much to know. Idk how many of you have had any trans apart but it's not like buying a kit and installing it. Parts wear over time everything has to be within spec. Whether its just a spacer wore to thin or a valve that has the slightest blur on it you couldn't tell unless you looked closely. That bur could cause the valve to hang and cause fluid to not go wear it needs when it needs it. It's not the hardest thing to build one but every little part needs inspected. Every clearance for every pack needs to be right. There are just so many things that need to be right or it won't work. These are the things I am intrested in learning.

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
There are also little things that have changed that need addressed. Take for instance the planetary for overdrive on a 46rh I'm working on now, one side of the planetary has a flat surface that caused fluid to not get into it the gearset adequately so a minor modification was to put a 45° bevel in the center hole to allow more fluid to enter. There's just so many things that go into building a trans it should be taught. Also another thing they changed was the inner seal on the direct apply piston. The factory had some drums go out that were not within spec and required a thicker seal. If someone didn't know these things, they would waste their time putting the trans back in.

I want to be able to build a transmission properly and be good at it.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
What I do it's only stock no mods, there's no class for 1k only since 2k are almost the same. It's like saying a 4l60e and a 4l80

Well id be interested in it.. We had an allison class in tech school but that's been 6 years ago and I've forgot most of it already.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I'm not aware of any transmission only schools/ courses. We learned about Allison 1k series in school, but that would be a huge waste to go just for that course. Hell it was almost a waste anyway :roflmao:

If you want to copy some of the course material, you can borrow my books and send them back. If you understand how a torque converter works, skip any kind of fluid dynamics bs.

Good luck

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I'm not aware of any transmission only schools/ courses. We learned about Allison 1k series in school, but that would be a huge waste to go just for that course. Hell it was almost a waste anyway :roflmao:

If you want to copy some of the course material, you can borrow my books and send them back. If you understand how a torque converter works, skip any kind of fluid dynamics bs.

Good luck

Sounds like you went to school where I did.. Only good thing I got out of that school was a little allison knowledge

jliddle

Jun 30, 2012
NC
Sounds like you went to school where I did.. Only good thing I got out of that school was a little allison knowledge

I am in a similar boat... With the collision field. Got some sweet books with awesome pictures lol. Same info could've been had at a community college with a quarter of the tuition money lol.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I am in a similar boat... With the collision field. Got some sweet books with awesome pictures lol. Same info could've been had at a community college with a quarter of the tuition money lol.

Haha.. Maybe we should create a wyotech hate thread

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH

What branch? I went out in Blairsville.

Don't get me wrong, I had fun, teachers were awesome for the most part and shared a wealth of knowledge if you're willing to learn. But I didn't learn enough to justify the cost, probably because most of the heavy duty stuff (Eaton rebuilds and air brakes) I learned at JVS when I was in high school.

It's like the Army, I don't regret it but I wouldn't do it again :D