What did you do to your home/shop today?

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
Naw won't do that. I use 1 key for both of my houses and wanted to key the girlfriend's condo the same when I fixed her locks but we had only just started dating and she said no. She had 2 keys for the front and back doors and did not have a key at all for the security screen door. Now just 1 key for all 4 doors and 6 locks.

That’s the right way to do it!

Did you just buy a big kit from Lowe’s or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poltergeist

Ghost in the Machine
Aug 1, 2006
Ontario, Calif.
www.poltergeist.us
That’s the right way to do it!

Did you just buy a big kit from Lowe’s or something?

For the girlfriends used a kit from Lowes and when I did mine I had all the pins left over plus the ones in the existing locks. If you have locks already keyed to what you want to used you can just move them to the new lock. Somewhat time consuming but nice to only carry 1 key.

If you are thinking about doing it there are a couple of good videos that walk you through all the steps. Just need to go slow as you don't want the pins that stay in the lock to come out. You fix that but it is just a pain in the ass.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I've rekeyed so many locks I've lost count. So when I moved into my new house seven or so years ago I did all of my doors to one key. No way am I going to carry around several keys just for my house. I have enough for my work (hotel maintenance). I don't need that at home

I have a kit with hundreds of pins to choose from so not a problem for me. I also did my grandmother's house too

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Quickset has locks you can re-key with a special tool takes a couple minutes. Clyde changing the combination of a padlock.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
What did you do to your home/shop today

Everything I have heard about the Smart Locks is that they are crap. They seem to fail after a year or so. But I don't have any hands on with them myself.

The ones on my entry doors are 11 years old now and work great still. Thats not to say they aren’t the exception to the rule. It wouldn’t surprise me if quickset locks don’t hold up as well as others.

Does anyone pick locks? Most of the time I think they just kick the door in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Locked myself out of my apartment the other day. First day in it mistake. Wound up having a buddy come over and drill out the lock to get it open. Wasn’t a good day...

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
The ones on my entry doors are 11 years old now and work great still. Thats not to say they aren’t the exception to the rule. It wouldn’t surprise me if quickset locks don’t hold up as well as others.

Picking a lock requires a certain amount of skill. Most guys doing home invasions these days are junkies trying to get a quick fix. In my area, you don't hear a ton about home break ins. These idiots will break into your car to steal the change in your console or a pack of smokes and a lighter.

Poltergeist

Ghost in the Machine
Aug 1, 2006
Ontario, Calif.
www.poltergeist.us

All of my Qwiksets were 20+ years old and that's what I replaced them with. But they are the mechanical ones not the newer Smart Locks.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I need to have my house locks re-keyed, the front door is different than the rest. I've been saying that since I moved in 7.5yrs ago. :eek:

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I need to have my house locks re-keyed, the front door is different than the rest. I've been saying that since I moved in 7.5yrs ago. :eek:

Why the heck would you do that? I did that the day we moved in...while my wife unpacked....I’m crazy like a fox. ;)

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Why the heck would you do that? I did that the day we moved in...while my wife unpacked....I’m crazy like a fox. ;)

I sure don't know how to re-key/pin them myself and I might be the world's worst procrastinator with a lazy tendency to boot. :D

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Tried fixing a leaking hose on my pull-out kitchen faucet. Nope, no stores local to me carry a replacement with my fittings. Of course not. :mad:

Got a warranty claim into Delta - supposedly they have a lifetime warranty that will cover this. We'll see. A few more days of no sink though. Wife is not happy. :eek:

Of course delta didn't warranty the parts, but they did give good model numbers and part numbers for my faucet. The parts showed up yesterday and I got it finished up late last night.

Wife is elated to have a working sink in the kitchen again. And we all know a happy wife is a happy life. :thumb: :coolspot: :woott:

It doesn't really count for the purpose of this thread, but I also got the yard mowed last night. :D

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO

Put a striker in backwards once on an interior keyless handle......where’s David Blaine when you need him! I was trapped in my bedroom for probably an hour and destroyed 3 swipe cards

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
Has anyone used the keypad locks before? Not exactly like the ones on office doors but the touchscreen style?? I’ve considered them but as far as knowledge or first hand experience I’m a big ole goose egg.

Poltergeist

Ghost in the Machine
Aug 1, 2006
Ontario, Calif.
www.poltergeist.us
Has anyone used the keypad locks before? Not exactly like the ones on office doors but the touchscreen style?? I’ve considered them but as far as knowledge or first hand experience I’m a big ole goose egg.

If I were to do one it would probably be something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q3N513E/ref=twister_B076XRWPR1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It does work with the Amazon home delivery if you want that. But what I like is that you can use your phone to lock/unlock it. And you can send a 'key' to friends or family to use their phones, but you can also revoke the key from them so they can't get in.

NinjaMax

WTF!
Oct 3, 2012
Severance, Colorado
If I were to do one it would probably be something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q3N513E/ref=twister_B076XRWPR1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It does work with the Amazon home delivery if you want that. But what I like is that you can use your phone to lock/unlock it. And you can send a 'key' to friends or family to use their phones, but you can also revoke the key from them so they can't get in.

I put one on very similar to this from Lowe's, works great! Had it for over a year now.

DefiantArms

Limp Mode Cowboy
Jan 28, 2016
St. Augustine, FL
I was going to get one of the touchpad type locks like that but am leaning heavy towards the one that goes on the deadbolt knob inside. It’s called August smart lock. I already have cameras all around the house Alexa setup and ordered the Zwave light switches. Have a Logitech harmony module so i can tell Alexa to change the channel for me. Trying to automate a lot.