What did you do to your home/shop today?

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
Just a thread for home improvers!
Put a new door in after the window fell out of the old one

c32192e886e093bd6981242762037837.jpg

I think my baby boy appreciates it, got lots of windex for little hand prints
f46d35e0cd7f5c22a35ba472797acf40.jpg

Replaced my sprinkler timer and got er dialed in and after the winter all my solenoids are good with just one broken sprinkler head.
b13e900202465f33d22346dce28fdb8c.jpg

Then the usual spring cleaning, got about 500lbs of weeds and leaves and random pine needles and such making the LUV squat good.
9dede3b7b4ed91dd92402399446626b2.jpg

Then the wife and daughter planted their flowers and garden. Got some jalapeños, tomatoes, cucumber, strawberries and raspberries
9d61b595afa03a6e9f22226d9be967cc.jpg
ebc0b218ca877ee3d21e0d412a1b06ad.jpg

Then pulled the old chandeliers and fan and put in some flood lights!
47d657145d9932236dbd72f0d2fcf82e.jpg

Whatcha gentlemen got?

M.A.M.

Jan 9, 2016
Ohio
Sittin here on vacation thinking about the grass/hay that needs to be cut at home...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
Sittin here on vacation thinking about the grass/hay that needs to be cut at home...

My lawn mower looks like this right now all thanks to raccoons eating my harness to my magneto and prop
b51ff8ec415b9d3a038518e4ee2ae3c7.jpg

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
good timing. Im about to tear down our master bath (i wouldnt call it that, it aint "master" by any means :roflmao:) cause we got mold behind some walls. guy that remodeld our home before we bought it did a real shit job in the bathrooms. cut corners everywhere.

M.A.M.

Jan 9, 2016
Ohio
My lawn mower looks like this right now all thanks to raccoons eating my harness to my magneto and prop
b51ff8ec415b9d3a038518e4ee2ae3c7.jpg

Eh, all it’s needs is some good tuning! Lmao...

Mine needed cut before we left, but didn’t get it done... I did start it with intentions of mowing, but that’s as far as I got...

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
good timing. Im about to tear down our master bath (i wouldnt call it that, it aint "master" by any means :roflmao:) cause we got mold behind some walls. guy that remodeld our home before we bought it did a real shit job in the bathrooms. cut corners everywhere.

Eeesh! That’s an expensive “do over”

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
Eh, all it’s needs is some good tuning! Lmao...

Mine needed cut before we left, but didn’t get it done... I did start it with intentions of mowing, but that’s as far as I got...

Ran outta beer before you dropped the prop?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Remolding the office turned into 1500sq’ of tile too... with work and everything I’ll be working on it for the next 6 months I bet. I don’t have any pics on my IPad

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I’m actually moving. Two doors down lol 300 more sq ft, central heat and air, two bedrooms, and a fireplace for $100 more.

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
Remolding the office turned into 1500sq’ of tile too... with work and everything I’ll be working on it for the next 6 months I bet. I don’t have any pics on my IPad

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I prefer tile over linoleum any day. Looks better just sucks bleaching the seems every couple months!

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Hay Novak, is that a diy concrete counter top I see in your kitchen?

I recently redid my kitchen. Used Formica as granite or other similar products are way out of my budget. Refaced the cabinets. Next plan is to redo all of the flooring and carry it out into the living room. Thinking of wood flooring, but have a few reservations about having it in the kitchen. Might just tile that area

In the spring and summer months I can fill both of my green waste bins every two weeks. Maybe a few hundred lbs of lawn clippings, leaves and weeds. Would like to figure out a compost setup as that is a lot to throughway all the time

Need to replace the crank on my chipper/mulcher as I busted it last season

And then clean up the garage. Just picked me up a table saw and need some room for it

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
Hay Novak, is that a diy concrete counter top I see in your kitchen?

Yep! It’s was there when I bought the place so we are getting a bid on an acid bath and polish

Last edited by a moderator:

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Yep! It’s was there when I bought the place so we are getting a bid on an acid bath and polish

Depending on how much the bid comes out to, you may want to look into just doing it yourself. I used to do that kind of stuff at my last job. It should take no more then a few hundred in supplies/tools to do if you have nothing

Do you have any Tom Duffy's in your area? They where one of the vendors we got tooling and stains from.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida

That sucks
Here in Florida houses have been popping up over night!
Unfortunately people are spending 300k on houses that cost 75k to build and it’s not going to last more than 20 years
I have seen some covered with mold all over and watched them slap tyvek on and cover up:(
Fun fact all the housing that got built back in 04-08 was the same way and now they are falling apart at the seems only 10years later

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Remodeling our bedroom. This is turning into the job from hell.

-- move bedroom door 3 feet to the right
-- which then gives enough room for a new closet along entire 12" middle wall
-- removing all punked plaster from walls and ceiling and replacing with 1/2" drywall
-- new electrical all thru the room, including new ceiling boxes for living room lighting (access thru upstairs floor is easier)
-- new subfloor
-- old closet space above stairway ceiling enclosure turning into built-in shelves and "tabletop" for TV (including electrical)
-- new carpeting
-- new paint
-- all new trim (oh that'll be a fun job)

Roni is pushing hard for this to be done ASAP. F-that. Destruction wasnt even halfway done before she started filling in holes in the walls. Ugh.
I hate my life sometimes.

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
Depending on how much the bid comes out to, you may want to look into just doing it yourself. I used to do that kind of stuff at my last job. It should take no more then a few hundred in supplies/tools to do if you have nothing

Do you have any Tom Duffy's in your area? They where one of the vendors we got tooling and stains from.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me

I don’t have one nearby but I imagine it can ship ground whatever the materials are maybe. He did say the acid is something that if your messy you will destroy whatever it touches. Are there a lot of stains out there for concrete?

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Well I am not doing it, but the drywall guy is back to touch up the areas around the doors where the trim did not cover when they got pulled.

Once finished with the drywall touchup, he will paint and lay backsplash tiles. Hopefully he is finished this week.

Last month or so, finished up all of the trim, built 12' of book case in the closet for shelving, and have all exterior doors changed. I officially hate changing doors.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I don’t have one nearby but I imagine it can ship ground whatever the materials are maybe. He did say the acid is something that if your messy you will destroy whatever it touches. Are there a lot of stains out there for concrete?

Preparation acid is usually just muriatic acid as found in the pool Supply normally diluted 4-1 with water. But we only did this if the concrete was in bad shape

The stain comes in two main verities, acid based that reacts with the concrete to form its color and dye based that is is really just a concentrated liquid pigment. There are hundreds of colors but most manufacturers only have between 20 to 50 or so to choose from. Also how long you let it soak and how heavy you put it on, number of applications will vary the color too so really the color options are numerous. Of course though, you can only go darker and not ligher. So the darker your concrete the less options you have. If you have light or white concrete the color can come out really nice.

The dye based stains are easier to use and a little more forgiving but don't seem to work as well as the acid based stains. I normally had to put two or three coats of dye to get the color where as with acid based it was one coat or two if they wanted it darker

I liked the scolfield lithochrome chemstain the most. I got it at white cap normally.

For hardeners, there are also two main ones on the market. silicate based and the "newer" lithium based. Manufacturers of the lithium based hardeners claim that the smaller molecules of lithium can penetrate deeper into the concrete but in real world I could not tell any difference

Otherwise all of the hardeners from all of the manufacturers seemed to be the same. I believe that this technology is quite mature and there is no secret around how to harden concrete so every manufacturer can make good hardeners

I never liked using the stain and hardener in one. It gives you less open time for getting the color just right. When the hardener start working it closes off the poors in the concrete making it hard to get any more color in. Most customers where very pickie when it came to the color so have time to get it just right and signed off was much easier with the stand alone stains.

Also, dont go with any sealers that aren't burnished hardened. There are some that are wipe or spray on and that is it. Then there are ones that require high speed burnishing. The heat created during the burnishing cures the sealer. These types are far harder and longer lasting in my experience. Plus the burnishing adds an extra level of gloss

For hand grinding, which your counter will be, you should start with a diamond grinding wheel on a 7" grinder. The variable speed grinder/polisher from harbor freight worked well enough for small one off jobs but we normally used DeWalt, Bosh and Matobo grinders.

Depending on the current condition, how much aggragate you want exposed you would start with a 30 or 40 grit wheel. Or if you don't want much showing then a 60 grit wheel. After that I liked to use the Dramatic easy edge ceramic wheels. And progress up to about 200 grit before stain and hardening. Then you would want to continue grinding with resin bonded diamonds up to the desired finish. 800 grit is normally the minimum. 1500 is the norm and 3000 is high gloss.

Then seal and burnish. For a counter that will get wet, I suggest at least three seal coats burnishing each