What compression ratio?

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
High compression in a 1000hp+ engine with good boost will give us more broken parts. Rods are pretty pricey to be raising cr and not gaining much power....

Are rods an issue on higher CR engines? I know wrist pin bearing transfer was an issue (alleviated by the pin oiling on Howards and custom Carillo's), but I would think cap walk would be an issue long before bending of aftermarket rods.

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
I will just say this as I am in no position to give out info that people do not want on the net. I know of two people that have bent or broke two different brands of aftermarket rods. Jarrod already said the mains won't take it. How much do you think the crank likes the added stress? Im sure there are many more of the big 3 rod companys that have recieved info on rods being bent or broke. Not all are on the net. I know that adding high compression can't help the situation either. To each his own. "there are more than one way to skin a cat" etc. I myself will stick to what i know works and go low compression.

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
Are rods an issue on higher CR engines? I know wrist pin bearing transfer was an issue (alleviated by the pin oiling on Howards and custom Carillo's), but I would think cap walk would be an issue long before bending of aftermarket rods.

Shit falls down hill right? If caps are an issue, theres probably some major strain on the rods. I know of very few aftermarket rods breaking, but more than one set was on high compression motors. Im most def not saying thats the cause, but it seems its just as good of an argument as saying high cr makes more power...

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Bringing this back up with some good info.
I purchased a set of stock size Mahle cast race pistons with no relief but am reconsidering the stock CR based on the fact I may go a little bigger with my twin turbo set up. A little worried about hard parts now but also trying to avoid cold start, smoke at idle issues. 6 months of the year or more this truck will be starting and running below -20C.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Aren't lb7s over 17 stock? Would it not be as safe to slap some turbo or turbos on it then. Compared to the later years. My plans were to slap on my s475 and leave it all alone til I can fund a full build.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I believe my LBZ is 16.8:1 stock. LB7/LLY was 17.5:1.
Going to have to ask Henry what my Mahle ones are. Can't remember if they were the oem ones which are 17.5:1 or the cut ones at 16.8:1.

Last edited:

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I prefer to stay between 16 and 16.5 cr. High boost applications don't want or need high cr. Added life is achieved through lower cr. A lot of guys will go 15 to 15.5 cr. My feelings are that being that low is more for competition vehicles not daily drivers.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
My 6.7 psd is stock at 16.2:1. It was lighting chargers great.
I have since changed cr, cam, valves, and injector nozzle angle. All of which improved the performance during staging, but had little effect on cold starts, or overall power imho.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Aight I thought real hard about going sky high like my buddies drag truck. But ima keep it low this go round so I can grow into it when it goes 2.6

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
My truck's pistons cc'd around 14-14.5 Starts up on cold days around 30*F but is smokey for the first 1/8 of a mile. It starts fine in that kind of weather with not using the block heater and I took the intake heater out. Tuning helps it start. I wouldn't go that low again but got one heck of a deal on the pistons (FREE) :D. If I crack a piston I will go to around 15 to 1 because I don't truck pull anymore.

dirtydmax

<---up shit creek
Sep 1, 2013
muskoka,Ont Canada
Im going 15.5 in my build,was a little sceeerd about the 17.5 cr with trips and lots of fuel.Parts are just so damn expensive to do a build twice.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
My oval bowls are 16:1, i'll be staying big single turbo as well. Figured 16:1 was a good happy medium.

Good choice it always seems like if you go to extreme you regret it. At 16:1 I think the resale and all around characteriatics will be more valuable than the potential gains from the extreme ends Of the compression spectrum.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Good choice it always seems like if you go to extreme you regret it. At 16:1 I think the resale and all around characteriatics will be more valuable than the potential gains from the extreme ends Of the compression spectrum.

But it makes power right, so who cares if ya want to win lol

Frankin_truck

Nov 22, 2013
I am having a hard time deciding between 16:1 or 16.5:1 will .5 cr make much of a difference on cold start up?

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
I am having a hard time deciding between 16:1 or 16.5:1 will .5 cr make much of a difference on cold start up?

I was wondering that too just for future reference. Difference in twin setup vs big single?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk