Question: Weird turn signal problem...

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
When I turn my right turn signal on, it activates my hazards. It happens at random times, but only with the right signal so far. I have to actually turn the signal off, turn the hazards on and off with the button on the column, and then try the signal again. Any idea why this is happening? Just want to get it fixed before I get a ticket or get in an accident. Thanks fellas.:hug:

turbostang7

Apr 11, 2011
Rexburg Id.
check your bulb in the front, mine started contacting so when the headlights were on it would turn them on like hazards when i used a turn signal lol

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
Nick, this is probably a stupid question, but which switch? I haven't taken it apart yet at all. Is it the whole lever? Part number?

Turbostang, I checked the bulbs. No joy on that one. Thanks though.

turbostang7

Apr 11, 2011
Rexburg Id.
alright lol, i always try the little things first! other than that it is probably the switch, from what i understand (from research of mine doing this) its the turn signal switch in the column

Canadian Cowboy

May 2, 2011
Detroit,MI-Windsor,ON
#23 is the turn signal switch(Auto Trans)
12450066 without cruise control
12450067 with cruise control(K34)

060131TC06-620.gif

Steering wheel with steering wheel controls option(UK3)

020426TC06-686.gif

Steering wheel without steering wheel controls

021019TC06-699.gif

CC

Canadian Cowboy

May 2, 2011
Detroit,MI-Windsor,ON
That's awesome. Thanks! Hopefully that'll fix the issue. I'll update y'all when I replace it.

Just watch when you replace it that you pay attention to the wiring routing order,if it is not routed the original way the harness can get pinched.
They best way is to tie a flexible wire or something to the wiring harness,than pull on the wire and it will follow the original route.
CC

jheyob

Jan 30, 2009
Okeana OH/West Lafayette IN
I had this problem on my '03, and my dad had it happen on his '07 (weird I know) On both trucks it was the flasher that went out. I'd start there before you tear through the column to get a switch out. The flasher is on the fuse panel behind the dash on the driver's side. Don't buy the GM one, its expensive at like $200 if I remember. Swap it out for a known good one from another truck to see if that works.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
When mine did the same thing a couple of years ago, I changed the column switch and it DID NOT fix the issue.

The proper fix was to clean or replace the flasher relay on the left side of the column behind the panel. Mine was dirty and needed to be cleaned. Flasher relay is about $65 (IIRC) where the column switch was over $250.

Did some looking. Found LM455 from napa is the replacement flasher for no led's. Online price is $33.

Check out this link also for help. http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=365066&highlight=flasher+module+LM455

Last edited:

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
Ok. My new switch is here. Now the question is how does the column come apart? Do I have to take the steering wheel off? I looked under the column but couldn't tell how it came apart. I'll clean that flasher too while I'm at it. Any suggestions to that end? Thanks for the help guys!

Canadian Cowboy

May 2, 2011
Detroit,MI-Windsor,ON
It is possible to change it without removing the steering wheel once the outer covers are off you use a torx bit with a 1/4 wrench to loosen the one screw which is hard to get at it is a pain but it can be done.The other screw is easy to get at.
CC

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
Do the outer covers just snap together? I saw a couple holes on the underside, but I couldn't see any s req'd under there.

Canadian Cowboy

May 2, 2011
Detroit,MI-Windsor,ON
Here is a article I found that will help you.

Ignition Switch Replacement Tutorial
I have noticed lately that a few people have been asking about the ignition Switch. So I decided to right up a tutorial. This is my first one, so go easy on me. And hopefully you won't fall asleep reading this. First off, let me say that the helm's manual said nothing about disconnecting the battery for this procedure. I left some steps out where the helm's had them only cause I didn't see a need in them being there. More stuff to remove and put back. There are 16 pics here, so it will be a bit long. But worth it. I will attach a pdf of the whole tutorial at the end for those that want to save it and/or print it up. Mods, Put this wherever you would like.
biggrin.gif
Now, on with the show.

First off, you need to disable the Airbagsystem on the steering wheel. In order to do this, you need to pull the fuse under the hood. Which is shown below in the picture.
attachment.php

[FONT=&quot]Next will be to disconnect the wiring for the steering wheel airbag. That will be under the dash behind the knee bolster on the left side. It is yellow (Can’t really miss it). Pull the tab out of the yellow connector, then pull yellow connector apart.
attachment.php

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Next will be to remove the airbag from the steering wheel. You will notice a hole on each side of the steering wheel. They are pointed out in the picture below.
attachment.php

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Notice the gap at the top of the wheel.
attachment.php
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]You will need something to put into the holes(something useful.). A rod, pick, or in my case, a really expensive tool. The end of a coat hanger. Then pull slightly on the top of the airbag, just enough to release that side from the retention rod. Then repeat for the other side and pull the top of the airbag out. Just don’t yank the whole thing out yet. There is a wire still connected to it.
attachment.php
attachment.php

[/FONT]Next you will lower the top of the airbag and you will see a yellow connector hooked to the back. Squeeze the tabs together as seen being done in the picture and pull it out. Then pull the airbag out completely.
attachment.php

[FONT=&quot]This is what it looks like without the airbag. You need to remove the wire for the horn. Pliers might come in handy here. The white thing poking out needs to be pushed in and rotated 45* to the right and it will pull right out. Then the steering wheel controls (If you have them. If not then skip this part.) need to be disconnected. Might be easier if you slide it off it’s mount first. The circle on the right is the airbag retaining rod that holds the airbags on. That is what you push on to release it.
attachment.php

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]This is what it looks like with all the wires disconnected.
attachment.php

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]The Helms Manual says you need to remove the horn contacts on both sides to remove the steering wheel and a special tool to pull it off. I tried a steering wheel puller but the bolts would not fit. But you will need a 21 mm socket to unbolt the wheel. After that I used a REALLY expensive tool to remove the wheel. My hands. A little bit of wiggling and a couple of good pulls and it came right off.

[/FONT] Next the tilt lever needs to be removed. Just give it a good yank and out it comes.
attachment.php

The Helm’s Manual says to remove the knee bolster, dash bezel, and the steering column covers. I don’t think you need to do all that. ( I didn’t) A screwdriver might come in handy for the next step. You need to separate the covers and just lower the bottom one like in the lower picture. The top one doesn’t need to be moved. You will also see the Ignition Switch and the connector. Disconnect the plug from the switch.
attachment.php

[FONT=&quot]In the next picture you will see how the Switch is held into the column. Helm’s manual(and GM) say you need a special tool to remove switch. I used yet another of my really expensive tools to remove the switch. But you can use whatever you can get in there to push the release tabs.
attachment.php
[/FONT]

attachment.php

Once they have been pushed in the switch will release and you can pull it down.
attachment.php

For those that don’t know what the Ignition Switch looks like for when you try to order one online or the Idiotship(Sorry Dealership) This is what it looks like.
attachment.php

[FONT=&quot]Now for the fun part. Make sure you have the gears aligned right. Or you might have problems. The picture below shows where I had to set mine. If the gears are set to far one way then when you just barely move the keyed part without the key in it the radio will come on and drain your battery. Found that out the hard way. There is a keyed notch in the gears. This does NOT point straight up. It will not go in that way.
attachment.php

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]To finish the job, just do everything in the reverse order. And all should come out fine.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]NOTE: To ensure that the airbag is working properly, Turn the ignition to the run position. Look at the airbag light on the dash. If it stays on solid then it’s not hooked up right. If it blinks 6 times then shut off all is fine.[/FONT]
Attached Thumbnails

link.gif

pdf.gif
Ignition Switch Tutorial.pdf

CC

Canadian Cowboy

May 2, 2011
Detroit,MI-Windsor,ON
I will add make sure you mark or look for the original factory line up marks on the steering wheel spline and steering wheel so the wheel goes back on same way.
Do Not pound on the steering shaft as you will collapse the steering shaft internally.
Use a steering wheel puller.
Make sure you wait 20 minutes after you pull the airbag fuse before you remove the airbag.
All vehicle airbags have a reserve power backup.
CC

Darius6t9

I'm the Floater. Lurking.
Aug 23, 2008
Rusk, Tx. Again
Hey. I recognize that write up. :D

btw. I didn't bang on it to get it off. Just wiggled it a little bit and gave it a pull and it came right off. But, I do recommend the correct puller though.