VERY unhappy camper...

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I thought most people pulled apart a new gun and cleaned them.

Lol. If I am truly interested in a firearm, in this case a pistol, and intend to buy it, I pull out my concealed carry license throw it down and tell the salesman " if it meets my inspection I'll buy it now" then I proceeded to field strip it on the counter, right in front of them, boy, you should see how many guys just grimace in concern when the slide comes off and springs come out, you'd be surprised at how many people sell guns that have absolutely no idea how to do anything with them other than rack the slide and check the chamber to show it to a customer.

To OP
What a bummer man, I feel your pain and frustration. One time I bought a new firearm I took it out and put a box of rounds through it and brought it home to clean and inspect. Took it apart and the tolerances were so tight the slide would not go back together with the rail, in fact, I had a hard time getting it off, after some sanding, light filing, and an ample amount of gun oil, it slipped together nicely and has provided me with 1000's of maintenance free and accurate rounds. Since that purchase, I field strip every pistol I buy, before I buy it. I spent several tedious hours trying to get that gun together, hoping I didn't screw it up with every stroke of the file, I guess I could've sent it to the manufacturer, but that's not really my style. In your case, I don't know what I'd do, shitty deal for sure, sounds like S&W is gonna take care of you though. This gun is for your wife? Did you check out the Kimber solo, beretta nano, Springfield xd-s? We got the solo for my wife, she's a petite little thing she's not a "gunny" but she is comfortable with it, it fits her hand well, it's light, and she shoots it accurately. Just food for thought, in case you decide to try and return the S&W.

Good luck

Kappa9012

MAN.... I Broke it again.
Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
Gander didn't have any XD-s, which will likely be my next purchase. I didn't see the nano or solo though.

I am actually very pleased and surprised to say Gander completely swapped out the pistol with a new one. They looked at it, and couldn't get it apart either. they let me tear apart the new one and I did exactly that... field stripped it, and worked the shit out of the slide. even the trigger felt completely different on this one.

The only shitty part is the state of illinois... I have to wait another 3 days since it's essentially the sale of a new firearm.

Kappa9012

Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
glocks require a decent amount of hand strength, which my wife lacks... And I really didn't look at beretta maybe to my own ignorance.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Wow I'm really surprise they swapped it out for you. I think thats pretty much unheard of at the "big box stores" like gander.

Dang looks like we got a bunch of S&W haters on here...

Kappa9012

Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
I was shocked too that they swapped it. I know they could have told me to take it and like it, but I didn't give them a lot of opportunity to say it was a used gun etc. the one clerk started to say well since it's left the store, and I kinda shut the door on him immediately.

I like the gun myself, it fit her hand great and she was able to feel comfortable with it. After reading a lot of reviews about it, I think she and I will be happy with it, especially for a sub $400 gun.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'm glad they took care of it for you, and I hope that's the end othe problems you have with it.

For anyone else looking for a sub-compact pistol, I've been very happy with the Sig P290 I bought last year. It isn't the smallest 9 mm out there, but it's close. It's a little heavier than most, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. It shoots great, and in the 500+ rounds I've put through it, I haven't had a single stoppage. I had a few rounds of some cheap Russian ammo require a second hit to go off(which is a bit of a pain since mine isn't the P290RS), but I don't consider that the fault of the pistol. For as small as it is, it is a very accurate pistol.

Kappa9012

Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
Sounds like they're starting to ship them back now. The guy at gander said his came in wednesday, and they threw in an extended mag for the trouble.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
Smith makes both good stuff and some crap. I myself really like my little LCP, I carry that more than anything b/c it is so easy to carry. as long as you keep it somewhat clean they run ok.