VERY unhappy camper...

Kappa9012

MAN.... I Broke it again.
Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
so the wife decided she wanted a new pistola, so we went to the local Gander Mtn which has a giant selection of hand guns. Since she has small hands and struggles to rack the slide on my H&K, we wound up liking the smith and wesson SD9VE.

it felt great slide pulled easily and she could comfortably reach the slide release as well.

So I bought it, picked it up tonight walked out of the store at 8:50pm, got home at 10 after 9, and right out of the box the SOB is jammed, locked up tight as shit, slide wont pull, trigger is not pulling. I can drop the clip out and it frees up the slide, but the trigger still jams. And of course I see on the back of the receipt, NO RETURNS and they closed at 9. I'm going to shove this paper weight up their ass if they think i'm going to send it in for repairs, not even having put a round through it yet.

The reviews online show it as a reliable gun, but this is a really unsettling feeling. I have had 0 issues with my H&K, granted kind of like comparing a ferrari to a civic, but I would have atleast thought it would have fired a round off.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Looked at those for my gals cc. Ended up going with a beretta ps2 storm it's killer has decocker double/single action hammer.

Is the ejector locked up?? Can it be seen from the magazine well?

DirtyMax32

Sep 11, 2013
I used to work at an academy here in Texas. We sold a lot of those Sd9ve and sd40ve. We had a no return no exchange policy but if something did go wrong with the firearm we would send it to the manufacture free of charge. I believe gander has the same policy. I would take it back to them and demand they send it to Smith and Wesson. I had to send two of the 9's back for repair. Sometimes when new shipments would come in, we would take them out of the box and the slide wouldn't rack.
If I was you I would look at a sheild 9mm. They are the best sub compact imo. They have a single stack mag so the ergonomically fit better than a lot of other sub compacts. They are pricey though. I know the gander here in town sold them for $115 more than we did. They hold their value exceptionally well. You can shoot it for a year and sell it for more than what you bought it for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
Hopefully it's something simple.

I'm pretty sure Gander Mtn will support the manufacturers warranty if it needs repaired. I doubt they would swap it out though, but they might through the used firearm section. Maybe get a manager involved and credit back the full amount for another one.

bevi

Jan 17, 2010
Nh
That sucks! I know a few engineers at s&w I can give them a call if you want me to see if its something simple.

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
Shitty deal. Hopefully you will get taken cared of by GM. That's why I only buy H&K or Glocks. I think S&W makes crappy semi auto weapons. Their revolvers are awesome though...

dmaxbowtie

Duramax fiend
Jun 2, 2011
RI
The sdve's are s+w's "competitive" priced pistols and even in working condition I wouldn't expect to be blown away with the performance but no matter which pistol you bought there's no reason for it to be having issues like that. Did you pull the slide back and now it's stuck open or just stuck forward out of the box? I think that model has a lock/unlock pin in the mag well, maybe it's not in the correct position?

Kappa9012

Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
No it will not even pull back. I haven't tried to tear it down because I'm not really in the mood to deal with it considering it's a newborn. I'm more pissed at Gander for the whole sale of the firearm, and now I'll have to go back and deal with them on this.

Dave c

Jul 7, 2013
I have a SD9 and a M&P 9mm They are the best hand guns i've had. I bet it's something very simple.

jrkrace

May 4, 2008
Connecticut
I'd probably send it in to S&W...I bet they will have the gun back to you fixed quicker than Gander can send it out. I've got 3 Smith's and they all have been flawless.....Which is more than I can say for the Sig P220 that I have. That one has been back to the factory twice...

prodiesel804

Feb 1, 2013
Ky
Bought one brand new and could not shoot a full clip without a jam. Atleast it was on sale for 250 and got 275 out of it.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Talked to a buddy about this... He says when he got s&w 40 it jammed first feed. Pulled it apart and the gun had huge amounts of grease on the ejector and pin. After a heavy cleaning and full tear down it has never jammed again.

My AR was the same thing when I got it I tore it down and it was chocked full of grease thick shit too. I am assuming they dinghies at the factory to prevent corrosion and damage?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
GM ain't going to give you another one. Send it back to S&W or throw it in the trash no point in pissing and moaning about it. S&W stands behind there guns as well as anyone, but sometimes shit happens.

I though most people pulled apart a new gun and cleaned them.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Hk sig or glock for sa. I carry a 642 and its outstanding but the m&p I had I sold because it was the least accurate firearm I've ever owned. I think a revolver is hard to beat as a cc gun especially for ladies as they fit smaller hands much better and are pretty foolproof.

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
Take it apart and clean it I picked up a brand new in the box gun that was sitting in the display case and it had a little surface rust on the bolt so it wouldnt move. Little bit of oil did the trick. Did you inspect it before you left the store?

Kappa9012

Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
I've already spoken to smitty and they obviously are going to take care of it. I never doubted them, i'm more frustrated that I have to on a brand new weapon, and I wouldn't buy a truck that wouldn't start. Gander does not have a range and their freaks about giving you the gun in the store, basically once they give it to you, they rush you out. I did not inspect it at the store, definitely my mistake. I will not make this mistake again. I normally buy my firearms from my buddy that has an ffl, but I went out on a limb this time.

Kappa9012

Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
I also forgot to mention I can't clean it because the sd requires a trigger pull to release the slide, and the trigger is jammed, so I'm back to sending it in.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Ya I don't think I could buy a gun from a place that wouldn't let me hold it that kind of stupid. Its odd that it jams up on you before you even get a round through it.

Kappa9012

Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
Thats where my heartburn lies... If I would have broken it, or didn't properly maintain it, then I wouldn't have the least bit of issue with shutting my mouth and sending it in on my dime. But it literally jammed the second time my wife pulled it back. she racked it to take the flag out of the chamber then it locked.

As it stands now i'm waiting on the gunsmith at Gander to call me... The store manager yesterday said he had to look at it before they would decide anything. money back was out of the question, but she didn't argue with me over replacing it, at least not to my face.