LB7: Urgent help needed ASAP! Terrible thing happened after HG job!

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
Good day all,

I just started my truck to turn my wheel to install my fender liner in and a terrible noise started. It was a very hard knocking noise coming out of the engine. I then started seeing white smoke coming out of it... I immediately shut it down. Not knowing what it was I checked the oil and it was good. Coolant seemed good and not even warm no bubbles. I started it again to take a quick look around and opened my oil cap to see large puffs of white smoke coming out of it. What the hell could of caused something like that. I swear it wasn't even on for 5 minutes but now I am freaking out and simply on the verge of crying. The only thing I can think of is a bent pushrod, bad valve, or something related to the valve train. The knocking was basically the valve hitting the cylinder which would then cause the exhaust smoke in the crankcase. If that is the case I am screwed.

bluecollar

Feb 28, 2012
ia
Does not sound good.. i have a feeling ul be pulling the valve covers back off to find out.. any chance of setting valves wrong?? That sucks man

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
Well it looks just like in the video although I haven't thought about looking at the oil dipstick to see if there is any smoke coming out of there. As for sound I could hear a knock in the vid but mine is definitely knocking. I am scared of starting it again even. I do have EFI live if there is something I can check really quick. I just don't want to damage anything if I can avoid it but I feel as if there isn't going to be any avoiding it.

I did something really stupid when I was testing for my radiator leak welding job. I pressurized the system by blowing air into it by the overflow with my compressor a little and now I am thinking I did it way too much and must of done something I just don't know... This just doesn't make any sense. Could it be a cup? That would make no sense at all either I waited until quite a few weeks before I gave it a start so the glue was set.

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
The oil filler cap was blowing just like the vid. I just went out there and gave it a quick start and it weird because it doesn't do it just right away. It takes a good 20 secs before the engine starts knocking. If it was a valve then it would knock right away no matter what that would be my guess. One more thing is that my garage was pretty cloudy when I went in. I opened the door and let it vent out then started it again. Then after starting it and shutting it down it was still smoking. White greyish smoke is coming out of the oil filler tube at a slow constant rate and has been doing that for a solid fives minutes until I walked in the house so it may still be doing it... Almost makes me think something is burning in there. Wouldn't it throw a CEL or anything if an injector was stuck open? What happens if it's not connected right? I do have EFI Live and I guess I would be looking at my balance rates.

I didn't even get to drive the darn thing it just stayed there this whole time and let it idle maybe 6 times before this happened.

bluecollar

Feb 28, 2012
ia
I had a lose injector wire.. it shuts off that whole bank i believe and did knock a little and mine didnt do it right away either.. could shut it off and start back up and drive maybe a mile and start smoking and lose power.. knocked a lil.. but had a injector circut code.. not sure that will help you. But i feel ur pain.. balance rates might help narrow it down

Last edited:

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
According to what I read there is a way to shut off individual injectors using EFI Live. Now I know how to check my balance rates but have no clue on how to shut off an injector and check if the knock stops.

bluecollar

Feb 28, 2012
ia
Well if its stuck open the rate should be high correct me if im wrong.. i would assume go to scan tool and under dvt controls i think... i can check on my v2 shortl

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
According to what I read there is a way to shut off individual injectors using EFI Live. Now I know how to check my balance rates but have no clue on how to shut off an injector and check if the knock stops.

You have to connect to scan tool got to DVT on screen then controller tab then activate then hoh cam. Turn off one at a time. It easy to see on the screen.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
What is the rail pressure doing? Sounds like it's ramping up the rail pressure at idle.

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
Well after watching a couple vids of an injector that is stuck open I can say a few things. I do not get smoke like crazy out of the tail pipe but the front and what seems to be coming out from the rear of the engine. And the pcv tube at the bottom of the engine. As well as the oil filler neck and the dipstick just like in the vid. And as for the knock it does sound the same although on the one vid I saw mine didn't sound as loud. I did bend down into the fender well while it was running and it and the volume of the knock simply got louder and sharper. Now one thing that I wonder is it possible I have a fuel leak within the crankcase causing this? My oil didn't seem any higher and oil pressure was high on the gauge but good. I am thinking I should do an oil change and have a good look at the oil which should seperate if there was diesel in there I would think. I should of done this anyways before I started it. The reason I am saying this is that smoke grey was coming out of the oil filler tube long after the engine was shut down at a constant rate almost like something was burning in there.

A few questions:
What would happen if the valve lash would be too tight?

How do you check rail pressure? I guess I will need a fuel gauge hooked up to the test port with the engine running.

To answer a few questions:

I set the valve lash at 12 thousand. I then turned the crank 10 times and re-adjusted slightly and left it at that. I could not get a 13 thousand to slip under unless I really pushed it in.

I checked the oil level tho and it doesn't seem like it went up and while I had it started my oil pressure was high but not extreme.

Next steps:

Well I haven't checked the balance rates or shut down individual injectors with EFI live yet but to be honest I am scared shitless to do this as it would involve starting the truck again for a knocking smoke show. I would rather test what I can without having to start it first without having to dig too deep. That means a compression check and looking if an inj. is stuck open at the same time by turning the engine over while looking into the glow plug holes for fuel. At least that would give me a little more info. I think it's probably my best bet for now and go from there.

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
Alright well bad news but at least I know it's cylinder #4 which is the second one on the driver side. I had a solid 300psi everywhere and a very even ramp up. On cylinder #4 it was a very flat 80psi. Tested twice same result... Now I will be pulling the driver side apart to find out what happened. Oh! And no fuel was being dumped so I guess that means the injector is not stuck open. I hope I don't have a blown ring since I have no idea what that would all involve and I don't want to find out. I am very much hoping for a badly seated injector. If that is the case can I just seat it back down with new o-rings and copper washer? Should I reset the cup? Put a new cup?

Scott do you recall the compression on that one cylinder? Was it that low?