LML Twins or single?

Pwinland95

Jan 24, 2015
Illinois
I've got a 2015 that I'm looking to either buy a twin kit for or upgrade the charger in the valley. It's got the wehrli y bridge and is deleted. What is everybody out there running for these trucks? I just want to add some power and have a fun truck to drive. Will be on stock sticks for now. I'm not real familiar with twin applications, but I did throw a stg2r on my lmm and was very happy with it. Just looking for some input, I assume with the twin kit it would be easier install since I won't have to remove the turbo in the valley. What are my best options out there?

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I've got a 2015 that I'm looking to either buy a twin kit for or upgrade the charger in the valley. It's got the wehrli y bridge and is deleted. What is everybody out there running for these trucks? I just want to add some power and have a fun truck to drive. Will be on stock sticks for now. I'm not real familiar with twin applications, but I did throw a stg2r on my lmm and was very happy with it. Just looking for some input, I assume with the twin kit it would be easier install since I won't have to remove the turbo in the valley. What are my best options out there?

Trans built? Cp3 conversion done already?

Pwinland95

Jan 24, 2015
Illinois
Cp3 conversion. Trans is not built. Thinking about pushing the trans off for the spring probably. Everything I've read seems like the lml trans can take a beating. Forgot to add, I won't be towing much of anything besides a bass boat which doesn't amount to much.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Trans always first. Yes it may be able to take a beating but Joe likely than not your gonna get your turbo done and a month later have it sitting because you ripped the trans out. Build your trans. Get built trans tuning and enjoy it till you have the money for a turbo. You'd be surprised what a built trans o her wise stock truck can do.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
dont believe some of those guys claiming how much a stock trans holds. twin kit will kill the trans faster than a single. either way, it wont be long before you pack up the filter and trans heat exchanger with material and kill the trans.

that said, twin kits seem to work better with the LML over a single. they can be very finicky/picky with a larger single on there.

Pwinland95

Jan 24, 2015
Illinois
You guys are right. I had planned to build the trans first. But my previous lmm I threw the stg2r on it and drove it for a year and 20k miles and the stock trans never skipped a beat. I guess it would be more fun to drive being able to push the stock charger with not a worry in the world with the trans. So that being said, I guess I should still decide if I want to do twins or a Danville single so I can choose what converter to run..

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Twins. Hands down the way to go on an LML. If you do go to a single on an LML go fixed vane.

I would run an "R" or one of Evans converters with twins.

And I've personally seen an LML with twins take a beating on the street, and the track for a while on a stock transmission. It just kept getting a little slower every weekend at the track. Started pulling a lot of fuel on shifts. Now it's built and it pulls much harder then it ever has before. So I'd say as long as you don't beat on it you'd be fine to wait until next spring to do the transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
If you don't use all the power you get from the larger turbo and tuning, stock trans last a long while but if you plan to use the power since you put all the money in it, it ain't gunna hold up.

Pwinland95

Jan 24, 2015
Illinois
Twins. Hands down the way to go on an LML. If you do go to a single on an LML go fixed vane.

I would run an "R" or one of Evans converters with twins.

And I've personally seen an LML with twins take a beating on the street, and the track for a while on a stock transmission. It just kept getting a little slower every weekend at the track. Started pulling a lot of fuel on shifts. Now it's built and it pulls much harder then it ever has before. So I'd say as long as you don't beat on it you'd be fine to wait until next spring to do the transmission.

I was thinking either the R or Evans 1078 from everything I've read. So if I go twins, what do I run? I know absolutely nothing about a twin setup.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I'd twin it over the stock turbo. Run an S475 or billet S480.

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
I personally wouldn't worry about the trans right away.. Me and my brother both had lmls with 10mm cp3 conversions and he had a 475 over stock and I had a single 468.. My stock transmission took that fine for a good long while and his did too.. If you don't go out and beat on it every day it should be fine BUT, you should always be ready to get it built at any time lol..

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I personally wouldn't worry about the trans right away.. Me and my brother both had lmls with 10mm cp3 conversions and he had a 475 over stock and I had a single 468.. My stock transmission took that fine for a good long while and his did too.. If you don't go out and beat on it every day it should be fine BUT, you should always be ready to get it built at any time lol..

Did either of you ever end up getting your transmissions built?

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
Yeah I did, mine did start acting a little funny when it shifted into 5 and also the convertor wouldn't want to couple very good if was unlocked and stomped on it.. But I ran it for a year or so with that turbo and on a max effort tune so I think it did really good.. My brother got a used 1057 and swapped it in and he was gonna run that and see how long the transmission would actually last but then his truck got stolen soon after, never to be seen again.. But he ran his twin kit for a year or so also if I remember right..

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
That's no different than any other year truck. 5 speeds will hold good power..... if you keep from shifting into 5th and it's low mileage like most lml's, same goes for the 6 speed trans or add in a transgo jr and gain more but not all trucks will hold even with little helpers. They all start killing the trans rapidly. Shit I ran my truck on an edge w/attitude for a year on lvl 5, then a Ppe hot+2 on lvl 5 or 6 for 2 more years beating the hell out of it till I built the trans. Never let it shift into 5th under heavy throttle and limped it twice when I did let it hit 5th under heavy throttle. Never would have thought there was a thing wrong with the trans as it shifted through 1-4 till mike pulled the trans apart at 136k miles.

Gm still has not upped the capacity of the C3. They changed clutch design some but 4 clutches just can't handle power. Sure the converter is better but the trans is only as good as its weakest link. Being able to make line pressure hit 250psi is a good bandaid but by no means is it stoping any detrimental wear to the trans. Just adds a few more months on life support.

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
Yeah true..

To the OP, if you do the air upgrade first I'd definitely recommend getting a early lockup tcm tune with the raised pressure.. (or maybe you already got that)

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
OP max effort stock turbo with built trans will be about 5 and a quarter +/- if everything's together right. I second the trans Turbos are easier to overnight than a trans

Pwinland95

Jan 24, 2015
Illinois
Ok so who would you guys recommend in the east central Illinois area to build a trans? I've heard really good things about Todd Spaulding in Peoria, I think he uses Mike L kits. I could also make the drive to wehrli or Danville. I assume any of these places would probably do great work and cost close to the same amount.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
that said, twin kits seem to work better with the LML over a single. they can be very finicky/picky with a larger single on there.[/QUOTE]

This ain't no shit LOL. I have a local one to me with a 362 on it and it sucks balls.