LB7: Turbo go boom need opinoins on rebuild

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
Yes i cant spell :( anyway comp wheel cam apart already had bad head gaskets so i'll be starting to pull my motor tomorrow so

1st ?? should i put new injector cups in no matter what while i have it apart?

also should lmm rods be safe to push 650-700 hp safe?

would 45% nozzles be good or 60% be better

what else is good while im there

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
Yes i cant spell :( anyway comp wheel cam apart already had bad head gaskets so i'll be starting to pull my motor tomorrow so

1st ?? should i put new injector cups in no matter what while i have it apart?

also should lmm rods be safe to push 650-700 hp safe?

would 45% nozzles be good or 60% be better

what else is good while im there

I'd say yes to everything if it's tuned right. Injector route I'd go with the bigger set so just incase you wanted more down the road you'll have them already.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Are you talking engine HP or wheel HP? I doubt LBZ/LMM rods can take that much wheel hp, at least for very long.

What turbo are you thinking?
x2 on bigger injectors. I didnt used to think so, but do now.

Injector cups may need to be resealed and new orings, but I doubt you'd have to replace them. Just depends if they pop out when you pull the injectors.

Last edited:

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
that's kinda what i thought on the cups but i was talking wheel hp they cant take 650 even huh?

and i was leaning toward the 60% nozzles anyway

turbo maybe a s400 off some sort or a s366

what aftermarket rods would be best and cheapest? i got some lmm rods already thinking they could take 650 at the wheels with all the other suporting mods to help cylinder pressure

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
you better get aftermarket rods while you are in there.... it doesn't sound like you are easy things so those LMM rods likely aren't going to last as long as you'd like at the power level you are talking about.

It's real easy to tell someone to spend more money but that's my $0.02.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
you better get aftermarket rods while you are in there.... it doesn't sound like you are easy things so those LMM rods likely aren't going to last as long as you'd like at the power level you are talking about.

It's real easy to tell someone to spend more money but that's my $0.02.

It only hurts worse when they have to do it again the 2nd time around.

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
With what WHO'S gonna try on your single CP3? :hello:

uh... me your just going to show me how :D :hug: and not really the truck has 200k on now turbo faliure wasn't from abuse i found last night:eek: and i'll bet the rods aren't bent now so if i had 2k for the damn carillos i would buy them maybe i'll have to borrow some money mike want to buy my lmm rods:thumb:

Last edited:

wdino73

Sep 25, 2009
Versailles, Ky
I'm speaking from experience not hear say so listen up, Research Research Research, triple check the shop you're going to use, don't use II injectors, if u bore your block make sure you use a shop that has done the duramax blocks this is a must, Oh one more thing get involved as much as possible, don't just take it to a shop an then pick it up when its done, Thats my opinion follow it I learned it the hard way, don't trust no one, after all it's your money and truck, u have the right to ask questions, I hope your build is fun an exciting for u, mine wasn't.
Good Luck

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
I'm speaking from experience not hear say so listen up, Research Research Research, triple check the shop you're going to use, don't use II injectors, if u bore your block make sure you use a shop that has done the duramax blocks this is a must, Oh one more thing get involved as much as possible, don't just take it to a shop an then pick it up when its done, Thats my opinion follow it I learned it the hard way, don't trust no one, after all it's your money and truck, u have the right to ask questions, I hope your build is fun an exciting for u, mine wasn't.
Good Luck

yes i plan to get involved in the machine work the guy has done a few diesel's but is hooking me up being as i own my own shop:thumb: and thanks for your advice i usually have to learn threw the school of hard knocks i do have masters in it after all :rofl: i plan on going with bigdipper or ddp for nozzles or injectors trying to decide on if i should borrow some money to get some carrilo rods

wdino73

Sep 25, 2009
Versailles, Ky
I used carrillo rods, I got mine from guy for $2600 ish, I believe they are the best according to my research they are nice, my comment about the block bore is make sure they've done they dmax block, these blocks are very hard have to use a diamond cutter, also if they deck the block double check it before they deck it, the shop I used hadn't done the dmax block, they've done aload of cummins, and mine moved in the machine, just trying to help make sure u don't have the troubles I did, I wouldn't want anyone to go through what I when through, :thumb:

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
thanks for the advice:thumb: ya they have done alot of cummins not sure how many dmax's yet i am just wanting to hone it and the that's it maybe getting the heads ported a little bit but i will be sure to keep an eye on him i would prefer not to spend anymore money then i need to

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
thanks for the advice:thumb: ya they have done alot of cummins not sure how many dmax's yet i am just wanting to hone it and the that's it maybe getting the heads ported a little bit but i will be sure to keep an eye on him i would prefer not to spend anymore money then i need to

"Randy's machine" in Richfeild Utah has done alot of dmax stuff and is setup with all the propper stuff, and has done all of our local built motors and all have been proven to hold up to 1k hp , might be worth hitting him up , his pricing is the best i have seen also !

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
how much hp will the standard arp studs be good for an im planning on delipping the pistons will that be good enough or should i coat them?

an bac aren't you using lmm rods?

Yes, LBZ rods. But Im not planning 650-700rwhp, either. I actually want to stay under 600rw.

IMHO, please listen to the other guys ..they all have far more experience and expertise in high HP applications than I.

Last edited:

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
It's not the rwhp you will be making that you need to think about it's what it will be making at the crank shaft. And if your looking at 650 rwhp it's going to be alot more at the crank in hr and tq and say good by rods and mybe even the block then.

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
Who's gonna port your heads? ;) Your "fabricator"?

no lol unless you will be quick bout it :rofl: j/k if you want to but the motor will be in blackfoot

so i should only want to push 600 at the wheels with lmm rods:confused:??? an i would take it to utah but i really don't have the money to take it or ship it an drive down to get it an the local guy i can keep an eye him thanks for the info though trent if things change i'll give him a call :) actually trent could you pm me what you think he would charge to just put the pistons on the lmm rods an delip them and balance it all?

Last edited: