Allison 5sp: thin C2's

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Well my trans has about 48K miles since the origanal build, and everytime I load it with an 02 OS it does the 3-2 click. Drives me friggen nuts as I can feel it is an obvious tie up in the trans when it does it. All I did this time around was replace a failed C4 apply piston, did the C3 because I had it apart, and replaced a burnt 20K mile C2 power pack. I may open it back up this summer to make some changes to the C2 setup to try and soften it up some more. Going to the 03-05 C2 piston I know didn't help, but I had one on the bench and said what the heck and did away with the .040 bleed orifice of the 01-02.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Well my trans has about 48K miles since the origanal build, and everytime I load it with an 02 OS it does the 3-2 click. Drives me friggen nuts as I can feel it is an obvious tie up in the trans when it does it. All I did this time around was replace a failed C4 apply piston, did the C3 because I had it apart, and replaced a burnt 20K mile C2 power pack. I may open it back up this summer to make some changes to the C2 setup to try and soften it up some more. Going to the 03-05 C2 piston I know didn't help, but I had one on the bench and said what the heck and did away with the .040 bleed orifice of the 01-02.

You must change sealing rings when you do that.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
You must change sealing rings when you do that.

i've been running the new style sealing rings the whole time. The setup I used for the 1st 25K miles had the 01-02 C2 piston, 03+ sealing rings, with the TRANSGO mods, and those clutches still measure out brand new after 25Km iles of use. I figured since I'm already using the new style sealing rings, I would go ahead and run the new style piston.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
i've been running the new style sealing rings the whole time. The setup I used for the 1st 25K miles had the 01-02 C2 piston, 03+ sealing rings, with the TRANSGO mods, and those clutches still measure out brand new after 25Km iles of use. I figured since I'm already using the new style sealing rings, I would go ahead and run the new style piston.

But you didn't do a fast learn with a Tech 2. don't know if it would support an '02 system. I would have deleted the Transgo C2 piston mod and raised mainline. You would have a comfortable 3/4 shift and it would have held a lot of power.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
But you didn't do a fast learn with a Tech 2. don't know if it would support an '02 system. I would have deleted the Transgo C2 piston mod and raised mainline. You would have a comfortable 3/4 shift and it would have held a lot of power.

I've considered doing this, but just left it alone this time around(mostly because the seal kit didn't come with a new C2 balance piston, and I didn't feel liek waiting for ALLISON to order me a new one). Now I'm kicking myself for selling my 6 speed drum I had, could have slapped it in while it was apart.

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi

So in other words if starting with a new build. Don't mod the c2 piston at all and just raise mainline pressure?

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
No. You better know what you're doing before you play with this.

That's what I'm trying to learn. You guys make it so difficult to get info :D

If you weren't 2000 miles away. I wouldn't have to ask so many questions and I'd just have you build my trans.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
That's what I'm trying to learn. You guys make it so difficult to get info :D

If you weren't 2000 miles away. I wouldn't have to ask so many questions and I'd just have you build my trans.

You can't learn this with a simple DIY post from me.