Strange issues with our 2006 Duramax

islandgirl62

On the road again......
May 22, 2011
Live in a 5th Wheel Full-time!
Would like to post in the Duramax Diesel Tech forum, but don't seem to be able to do that...this is the only place I could find access to post a thread!If someone can move this to the right forum, I'd be grateful! (And I'm not a computer dummy....pretty efficient with them!)
Have a 2006 Chevy Silverado 6.6L Duramax, LBZ, about 106K miles on it (we are the only owners of this sweet ride). Double stacked with Edge Juice with Attitude and PPE. Having a really strange problem, haven't been able to find anyone else with this: Truck starts and seems to run just fine. Hasn't been throwing any codes. RPM gauge sits at 0 for quite awhile at idle, then bounces from 0-1000 erratically but idle is smooth, air conditioner will not blow cold air, turn signals will not work, info center will very from check washer fluid, then back to odometer reading. Backed out both Juice and PPE, no change in problems. Dropped both battery cables, no help, Reinstalled Juice and PPE, then showed a bunch of codes, most all having to do with low voltage to a/c condenser, low voltage to indicator lamps, etc. Batteries both new April 2010. Any suggestions? Is this a PCM problem? wiring somewhere? Any help greatly appreciated!

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
I did not have all those problems, but I was throwing codes from the BCM. Then the instrument cluster died...everything went black, no lights, gauges, anything.

I had the IC fixed by a rebuilder. It was corroded. The replaced all the stepper motors and cleaned up the connections....I guess... When I got it back, all my codes went away. Having bad electronics in the IC can cause all sorts of weird things to happen. Don't just get a used one and put it in, you will need a Tech II with download capability to reset the new IC to your VIN/truck configuration.

I never had problems with the AC, but I have the stupid heater controller, it is not controlled by the BCM. There are all sorts of things that can lose communications when the IC goes bad. If you have an IC or BCM problem it can't be cured by disconnecting the batteries. :mad:

My truck ran fine with the IC completely out.

These are the folks I used: http://www.instrumentclusters.com/ They did what they said they would do, and it worked when I got it back.

Good Luck.

Oh, and WELCOME. :happy2:

islandgirl62

On the road again......
May 22, 2011
Thanks for the recommendation to check the IC. We'll look into that. Truck does seem to run just fine, except would like to have turn signals and a/c. It will be a long ride from Houston area to Superior WI without a/c!!

ku 808

Sep 6, 2010
Are you in Hawaii? and stacking a Duramax is a bad idea if you had a cummins its okay but from experience I would take off the stack and check box's and test wireing

trashygasman

Slowly but Surely
Dec 18, 2008
Washington, OK
check the ECM fuse under the hood. mine was doing every one of those things and it turned out to be the fuse was getting a bad connection. just squeeze the prongs back together.:thumb:

islandgirl62

On the road again......
May 22, 2011
Are you in Hawaii? and stacking a Duramax is a bad idea if you had a cummins its okay but from experience I would take off the stack and check box's and test wireing
No, I'm not in Hawaii! :D .lived on island in Florida for awhile, that's where the name comes from! Now in Texas.
What was your experience with a stack? This is a work truck, but we also pull our 5er with it, AND spend an occasional weekend at the drag strip with it! I failed to mention that we do have cold air induction, 4 or 5" exhaust (can't remember which, sorry), upgraded torque converter and an atmospheric turbo.
We'll definitely check out the fuse box and wiring. Thanks for the thoughts.

islandgirl62

On the road again......
May 22, 2011
check the ECM fuse under the hood. mine was doing every one of those things and it turned out to be the fuse was getting a bad connection. just squeeze the prongs back together.:thumb:

We'll definitely check out that ECM fuse! I sure hope it's something as simple as that. We need to drive from Houston to Superior WI, and would rather not do that without a/c or turn signals! ;)

islandgirl62

On the road again......
May 22, 2011
Kyle - is it okay to say "I love you man!" :hug::thumb::D:)
Checked the ECM fuse. Fuse was fine. Pulled and checked all fuses, all okay. Looked for bad wires, couldn't find anything. Then noticed that there is an ECM Relay fuse, that bigger grey block-like looking thingy. Blew the dust out of the area, Tried pushing the prongs in a bit, no luck. Pulled it out again and spread them apart a bit and YEEHAW! RPM gauge at 700 rpm immediately, COLD air blowing from the a/c, turn signals work, and the message center is not telling me to check the washer fluid anymore!

Thank you so much to everyone for the replies and the suggestions! And WAY glad it was an easy fix....and didn't cost me anything but a few minutes of time! I'll "pay" that anytime!! I will recommend this Duramax Diesel forum to everyone I know who owns a Duramax! You are all the greatest! :hug:

trashygasman

Slowly but Surely
Dec 18, 2008
Washington, OK
LOL. It is perfectly OK! I tried to figure that out for months. I was getting wierd codes that didn't make sense. Dealership couldn't figure it out. I finally took it to my buddy thats a mechanic. He messed it for a little bit and started checking the fuses. He wiggled that one and everything started working. Haven't had a problem since!:woott: Glad I could help. That's what we're here for!:hug:

islandgirl62

On the road again......
May 22, 2011
After trying your fix, Kyle, everything worked great. We left the next morning on an almost 3000 mile trip, from near Houston to Duluth, MN...and back again. Hasn't missed a lick since. I really can't thank you enough. I'll be checking in here often, to see if there's anything we can help out with, like you helped us. White Lightning is running like a champ again!

islandgirl62

On the road again......
May 22, 2011
Update to this issue - the relay fuse seemed to fix it.....for awhile. Then it started in again. Accidentally, we found where the real problem was....one of the fuses has the add-on jumper thing on it.....that wire, if you moved it just a little bit, would create the problems or clear them up! That's what we had to replace to fix this issue completely! So glad we didn't have to go with an expensive fix!! I wanted to add this update for anyone who might read this thread. :)

mb1

Nov 15, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
It's always nice to fix something that looks like a nightmare without too much time and cash.

I can't imagine how much stuff the stealer would have replaced to get to the bottom of this.

az270

Sep 6, 2012
I'm sure glad i seen this thread!! My truck is having all of the issues stated above i took it to the dealer and they told me that it was the aftermarket alarm system and charged me 250$ to remove it. Well that was two weeks ago and the problems came back so now the dealer wants to charge me 600$to replace the entire fuse box.

rmallen30

Aug 12, 2009
hillsboro ohio
My dads lly 3500 was doing this same thing and come to find out the edge had took a crap and was screwing w everything in it ac heat windows etc all the edge was for was to monitor was never used for power as it has efi removed it and has been fine for about 5 mo now if this helps