LLY: Single disk to 6 disk unlock with TIS and tech 2

BigDMax05

Peanut butter and ladies!
Feb 2, 2009
Indiana
Bought a 6 disk for my single disk 05 LLY. Took to dealer yesterday to unlock with tech 2. What he tried didn't work by he didn't charge me for trying. He said he could go through TIS to get the rpo code for the radio but it was a 50/50 shot at wether it would work or not because the vin # could screw it up. My question is exactly how is everyone else unlocking these for the swap? I want to have this lined out before I go back to dealer to try to unlock. I see where guys have posted about the TIS and they got their radios to unlock but not real clear on exact steps to make it work right. Thanks in advance!

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I've done this before and usually all you have to do is program the radio using GM TIS. Program the radio by selecting the RPO code of the 6 disk. And then hopefully your factory speaker RPO's will work with it. However the single disc radio may not use an amplifier where-as the 6 disc would require the factory amplifier.

If you posted your VIN I could look it up and try to help

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
Not sure if this will work for you but on my 2010 Tahoe I built it as a 06 impala on the tech 2. Then you can get in to the radio section and do a vin relearn. It doesn't work on up to date tech 2s though as GM removed that feature.

BigDMax05

Feb 2, 2009
Indiana
I've done this before and usually all you have to do is program the radio using GM TIS. Program the radio by selecting the RPO code of the 6 disk. And then hopefully your factory speaker RPO's will work with it. However the single disc radio may not use an amplifier where-as the 6 disc would require the factory amplifier.

If you posted your VIN I could look it up and try to help

Sorry should have commented that my 05 has the Bose amplifier, I think that is what your referring to. This is exactly what I told my friend at the dealer about the TIS for the RPO code and he said that he hasn't had it work?

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
The 6-disc radios DO have a built in amplifier and will work fine in a non-bose truck once reprogrammed. As far as I know though there was never a "factory" configuration where you could get a 6-disc radio with no-Bose...but obviously its possible to make it work.

I put the old 6-disc radio from my truck (05 LT, fully loaded with bose) into a friends 06 regular cab half ton work truck (crank windows, no bose, basic speakers, etc), programmed it, selected the proper speaker RPO (UQ3/UQ5), and it works perfectly.

If your dealer cant get it programmed properly, then hes doing something wrong. Its super easy, I really dont know how he is screwing it up. You dont have to do anything crazy like use a different VIN or anything. Just input your trucks VIN, select the proper radio part number in TIS, select "UQ7" in the audio page, select "north america" in the tuner page, select "for crew cab" in the EQ page, and press program.....simple as that.

ben

BigDMax05

Feb 2, 2009
Indiana
Alright Ben I told him what you said to do and he said that was how they normally try it and he said that some work and some don't.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Alright Ben I told him what you said to do and he said that was how they normally try it and he said that some work and some don't.

Ive never heard of one that "didnt work". Ive reprogrammed DOZENS of radios for friends who previously took their trucks to the dealer, and the dealer couldnt make it work. Basically, the dealer said the same thing your dealer did.

My friends brought their trucks to me and every single one worked fine the first time when I did it, the day after the dealer said "it wont work". I dunno, maybe the radio was just having a bad day when the dealer tried it. :rolleyes:

I honestly dont know why its so hard for dealer techs to figure this stuff out. Its not rocket science. Using TIS to program things is about as simple as it gets.

ben

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Why does the radio have to be programmed for a vin unlock? I didn't have to have my truck hooked up to TIS when I swapped out to the Nav radio.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Why does the radio have to be programmed for a vin unlock? I didn't have to have my truck hooked up to TIS when I swapped out to the Nav radio.

Thats the difference between the nav and non-nav radios.

For the 03-07 GMT-800's, the nav radios can be unlocked/VIN-relearn with just a simple Tech 2 command. For the non-nav radios, you have to actually reprogram it to put it into VIN-relearn mode.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Thats the difference between the nav and non-nav radios.

For the 03-07 GMT-800's, the nav radios can be unlocked/VIN-relearn with just a simple Tech 2 command. For the non-nav radios, you have to actually reprogram it to put it into VIN-relearn mode.
Thanks for explaining that, Ben.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I honestly dont know why its so hard for dealer techs to figure this stuff out. Its not rocket science. Using TIS to program things is about as simple as it gets.

ben

Seems most dealers are full of techs that just get used to doing the same parts replacements/repairs every day. Throw them a curve ball and they hesitate and most of the times don't want to learn. That's at least how most of the techs I work with are :mad:

i_keyser

DD n00b
Jun 4, 2010
Denver
Seems most dealers are full of techs that just get used to doing the same parts replacements/repairs every day. Throw them a curve ball and they hesitate and most of the times don't want to learn. That's at least how most of the techs I work with are :mad:

If it's not in SI then it can't be done lol.

redws6rocket

Apr 22, 2007
Odessa, MO
It's a very simple process done with tis at the dealer, sometimes you have to select as installing a new module vs. Just a reprogram. This is one of the first options that comes up, then you go through and select your options if the truck has bose speakers its the uq7 option if not uq3 or uq5. Then select standard, ext, or crew cab. Once done programming turn off the key and i have some have to wait a few minutes till you get sound. Hope this helps

BigDMax05

Feb 2, 2009
Indiana
Thanks for all the replies fellas! I appreciate it. I am going back out to dealer today to have him try through TIS.

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Ok so after 3 1/2 hrs sitting at GM (still here), they were able to unlock a factory 6 disk Bose system for my truck. Problem is there is a loud beep/screeching sound coming from the drivers side front speaker. I'm assuming its part of the factory security system? Any one else have this issue trying to go from a factory single disk Bose system to a 6 disk system??

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
sounds like they messed something up, or the radio is broken...

It baffles me how dealers are so stupid about this stuff. Its freaking elementary TIS2WEB tech 101. Not a complex/unorthodox process by any means...

This is literally a 10 minute procedure, I can do it with my eyes closed....