Rod and Piston Options

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I know there are Crower rods and Mahle pistons for the Duramax; Does anyone have any experience with Eagle rods or Wiseco pistons, and do they make anything for the Duramax? I wasn't able to find anything on their sites, but in the gasser world, a few of my friends have high opinions of them (at least th Wiseco Pistons).

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
I have used Eagle parts to build a nasty 342 stroker small block Ford. They make a great product but to my knowledge neither of them makes Duramax parts (at least that they sell under their own name).

I'll get a list started of what is out there for the Duramax

For pistons you have:

Mahle cast pistons (stock LB7/LLY) - cut and coated they hold up to alot
Mahle forged pistons
Arias forged pistons
Ross forged pistons

For rods you have:

Crower billet
Howard's - x beam billet
Carillo - forged
R&R - billet

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Dave stick with the proven already-known-good stuff. ;)

Just speaking from personal experience!!!!!!!! :eek:

True.... But Eagle and Wiseco are known brands with proven products, just not in the Diesel arena, apparently.

For the pistons, in all likelyhood, I'll stick with C&C LB7/LLY, since there isn't enough data regarding forged pistons for a DD. Not sure on the Rods though. A friend can get Eagle rods, but since they don't make 'em for Diesels, no good there.

Last edited:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
True.... But Eagle and Wiseco are known brands with proven products, just not in the Diesel arena, apparently.

For the pistons, in all likelyhood, I'll stick with C&C LB7/LLY, since there isn't enough data regarding forged pistons for a DD. Not sure on the Rods though. A friend can get Eagle rods, but since they don't make 'em for Diesels, no good there.

A good known combination is LB7/LLY Cut Slugs with Crower Rods... now that Forged Rods are same price as the Crowers i'd go with forged. No need to look into something not known to work.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
I have used Eagle parts to build a nasty 342 stroker small block Ford. They make a great product but to my knowledge neither of them makes Duramax parts (at least that they sell under their own name).

I'll get a list started of what is out there for the Duramax

For pistons you have:

Mahle cast pistons (stock LB7/LLY) - cut and coated they hold up to alot
Mahle forged pistons
Arias forged pistons
Ross forged pistons

For rods you have:

Crower billet
Howard's - x beam billet
Carillo - forged
R&R - billet

FWIW Cunninham makes rods also
http://www.cunninghamrods.com/products.html

Are you into testing new stuff? If not,go with known stuff:)

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
How strong would stock LBZ rods and LB7 pistons cut and coated with head and main studs be?

650rwhp is fine IMO. I think Tomac and Ric Scrimmager (sp?) are the only people to have bent LBZ rods, and they ran a whole season at 750+rwhp with dual cp3's etc..

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
650rwhp is fine IMO. I think Tomac and Ric Scrimmager (sp?) are the only people to have bent LBZ rods, and they ran a whole season at 750+rwhp with dual cp3's etc..

X2 i have had thought about trying a set but my only worry with that high of power is it wouldnt take but a injector being a little off ect to bend one for what i have planned . good option for alot of guys though really.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC

I knew I was forgetting at least one of each.

main studs are not needed at all just head studs... I'd say a solid 600hp with the LBZ rods maybe 650

Not needed at all is a little misleading, but at under 700hp I would be comfortable without them. Winston has done 760 on fuel and much more on nitrous with no main studs, but if it was me I wouldn't be pushing it that hard.

There are some bone stock LB7s that have been over 700 for a long time - a few running deep in the 11s on spray. If I was going to build a(nother) motor it would have one of the rods I listed above in it. I don't see the point to spend the money building a motor that is only marginally better than stock. Push your stock one until it gives up and then build something to handle all of your future plans.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Not needed at all is a little misleading, but at under 700hp I would be comfortable without them. Winston has done 760 on fuel and much more on nitrous with no main studs, but if it was me I wouldn't be pushing it that hard.

Misleading? ok...:rolleyes: Show me a truck at 800hp+ that has had a failure due to having stock main bolts. 99% of us are fine without main studs

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
Rods....

For rods you have:

Crower billet
Howard's - x beam billet
Carillo - forged
R&R - billet

The Howard x-beam is actually forged then machined. Weight about 7grams more than Carillo and about 70grams less than all the others including stock.

Last edited:

SDP

AKA Dmax15
Dec 20, 2008
Port Angeles, WA

Thats good to know, I'm picking up an LBZ long block on wednesday and planning on having my LB7 piston cut and coated to use with the LBZ rods and short block. Talked to guy today and he said it would be better to hold off on getting them C&C and use the money towards rods. Maybe I'll give it a try anyways if it will hold that kind of power.

Is there anything a guy can do to strengthen the LBZ rods while they are out?

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
Misleading? ok...:rolleyes: Show me a truck at 800hp+ that has had a failure due to having stock main bolts. 99% of us are fine without main studs

So then why does GUY recomend them in almost every build at the verry least if not new caps? My caps had evidence of walking when my motor was tore down. I think if your not doing caps and studs at least do studs.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
So then why does GUY recomend them in almost every build at the verry least if not new caps? My caps had evidence of walking when my motor was tore down. I think if your not doing caps and studs at least do studs.

When I build my engine I will be doing main studs im just asking him to prove his statements.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
I don't see the point to spend the money building a motor that is only marginally better than stock. Push your stock one until it gives up and then build something to handle all of your future plans.

Exactly
And main studs are not something you just bolt on after the crank walks

The question is:
funny-dog-pictures-lucky-punk.jpg

People have had crank walk at 500ish?:D

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC

I put main studs in my 800hp+ truck so I don't think I'll be able to personally show you one that fails due to having stock ones. If Winston's 800hp+ has problems due to not having studs I'll tell him and you both "I told you so". For $300 why wouldn't you put main studs in a built motor that you plan to take over 700hp. Winston's motor came to us with a broken crank and surprisingly even though it didn't have studs the main journals were all perfectly fine - on my build it still wasn't something I was willing to bet on. 99% of us (you included) haven't built a motor, so of course 99% of us don't need main studs.

Agreed. I'm not saying that a motor won't last a good while at 700+ or 800+ hp without them. I'm simply pointing out that blindly saying "they are not needed, only head studs" is pretty dumb. Believe it or not most products in the performance market come about due to demand - if they aren't needed they typically aren't made unless they are a gimmick like a tornado air filter or Duramax throttle body spacer.

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
The engine's apart getting new rods and pistons and a bunch of short block machine work. All that stuff is expensive. It's a big deal going back in there and you want everything not just strong enough, but much stronger than it ever needs to be. So why cheap out over another $300 for main studs?