Question on BT Lockup Box installation for 5 speed

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Just got my new lockup controller from Ben, working on installation.

I am wondering if I received the correct harness for this box.

First, there's a green wire and an orange wire in the gray harness that goes to the TCM controller, both are terminated with female PCM pins. There is no mention of these wires in the instructions I downloaded from Ben's site. Second, the instructions mention a pink power wire and a black/white stripe ground wire that come from the lockup box. The harness I received does not have either of these.

Did I receive the wrong harness for this box? Are there revised instructions that I should be following instead?

Pic of the harness:
IMAG0769_zps4llxfu5y.jpg

Also, the instructions mention that I should have a sticker on the box that has software info and a 5/6 code to designate if it's a 5 speed or 6 speed box. The box I received doesn't have a sticker. Was it supposed to, or has there been a change?

IMAG0767_zpsnihrd3io.jpg

IMAG0768_zps2a3ckqem.jpg

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Got it all working. In auto mode it locks up immediately after hitting 2nd gear at WOT, feels great :) Verified with EFILive log.

Couple of questions. When it's in auto mode and the controller has the box locked, the LED is bright green. It seems like as soon as the TCM commands lockup, the light goes out. No big deal since the converter stays locked, just curious if this is correct. Also, yte controller doesn't seem to go back to auto mode after I let off the throttle when this happens, is this correct?

If I hit the manual unlock button before the converter locks, the light turns red and stays red, and the converter will not lock. When I hit the unlock button after the converter has already locked, the light blinks red for a second then goes off, and the converter does not unlock.

The manual lock button works as it should.

Last edited:

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Unless he changed something in the newest boxes it should stay bright green until you let off and it will unlock and switch to blue in auto mode.

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I just figured out the controller stops working/shuts off once the converter locks. Maybe a bad ground? I didn't tap into the BCM ground like the instructions said, I ran a ring terminal to a bolt under the dash. I'm going to move it to the BCM ground wire like the instructions say.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I ran mine to the steering column shield where i could use a stud and mine works fine.

Is this box new from Ben or used from someone else? Reason I ask is because I had the exact same problem you describe with the light coming on at whatever % throttle and then as soon as it locks it unlocks and the light goes out. Mine turned out to be the box and Ben updated it or did something and it worked flawlessly after I got it back from him.

Edit: nvm you said it was new so I dunno maybe its the wrong calibration or something. When I sent mine in he said it was an older calibration and fixed me up with a newer one

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I moved the ground and it's still doing the same thing, so I don't think that's the issue. It's like the controller loses power as soon as the TCM commands lockup, then turns back on when the TCM unlocks the converter.

Do you have the same black 8 pin connector that I showed in the first picture? If so, can you take a picture of the connector and pinouts? I took a semi-educated guess on mine and attached my orange wire to power and green to ground, now I'm thinking that's not correct.

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I also do not have the dim green LED with the ignition on, but since the instructions don't seem to be up to date (they still reference the sticker with the software version on it, when this post says that there haven't been stickers for over a year) I wasn't sure if something had changed or not.

I called and left Ben a voicemail yesterday when I first started scratching my head about the lack of pink/black wires in my harness, I'm guessing I won't hear back until after the three day weekend is over though.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
On mine, pink is power, light blue is throttle pos, purple is brake, black/white is ground, and black, white, red go out through firewall to TCM.

What pictures can I get you, I didn't know what to take since none of the color you mentioned I have.

Attachments

• IMG_20150524_154857664.jpg
    IMG_20150524_154857664.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 32

Forever

This 1 time, at band camp
Jan 4, 2009
Utah
Stupid question and trying not to hi-jack your thread, but Is there a video of how the controller works? How it will benefit me for just street driving?

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
On mine, pink is power, light blue is throttle pos, purple is brake, black/white is ground, and black, white, red go out through firewall to TCM.

What pictures can I get you, I didn't know what to take since none of the color you mentioned I have.

Your connector is different than mine. Assuming the power and ground inputs are in the same position though, then I have mine hooked up right. I think I'm going to have to wait for input from Ben.

Stupid question and trying not to hi-jack your thread, but Is there a video of how the controller works? How it will benefit me for just street driving?

I have not seen a video. Basically though, you have full manual control of the converter like the other boxes, but you also get the safety of automatic unlock and the "set it and forget it" automatic mode that will lock the converter any time you are in 2nd gear and WOT.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Your connector is different than mine. Assuming the power and ground inputs are in the same position though, then I have mine hooked up right. I think I'm going to have to wait for input from Ben.

My power and ground are to the far right in the picture.

Have you tried actuating it with the engine off key on. Push down the accelerator slowly until it locks and see if its at least trying to lock when it should or at the right % throttle. And triple check your brake wire I made a bonehead move and tapped the brake wire into the wrong wire the first time. Also the t-taps suck ass I had to make sure they were all getting a good connection.

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Everything works correctly with the engine off. In auto mode, light goes from blue to green at WOT, then when I let off it goes back to blue. Any mode, auto, lock, or unlock turns off when I hit the brakes. The only thing I'm questioning is auto mode - when I hit the brake, it turns off, but never comes back on. Is that correct?

I'm uploading a video now, will post as soon as it's done.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
In auto mode when you let off the throttle past a certain % or touch the brakes the bright green light should go off and then a second after that the blue light should come on indicating auto mode still active.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
This not right unless Ben made it that way on new boxes. Once you go into auto mode weather you let off the throttle or tap the brake it should always revert back to auto mode with blue light. At least that's how mine is. So it looks like all your functions are right except auto mode not staying on when you tap the brake.

I wonder if its the wore going to the brake did you triple check that.