Oilfield or Diesel Jobs

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
That's good to know. I just got out of the military with the understanding I had something lined up and I'm not so convinced that's going to happen now...:mad: that's why I'm looking for a job so anxiously

gassux

Mar 14, 2010
First off, Thank you for your service. I know it gets old hearing that but I'm no pillow biting lib that says it b/c it's en vogue, I mean it from the bottom of my heart---#nohomo. I work with alot of ex-marines and they are squared the **** away.

I know these companies have medics around that make gobs of money also. 8 months or so in a paramedic program and I guarantee you'll never be out of work in the oil biz or outside world.

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Thank you very much gassux. One of the paramedic programs seems like a good idea and I can definitely see how that would be marketable. Thanks.

elliottw

Jan 23, 2013
ND
I've lived in western nd all my life and can say the way it is now if you don't know anybody who can house you or your company can't house you don't come here, no place to live unless you want to drop 20k plus a year on rent, more if you have a family and actually need more than two bedrooms. And everything is ultra expensive, fuel 4.59 for #1. Food, gallon of milk around 5$. And propane if you don't have electric heat is over 4$ right now and you use a lot of it. I know in Alaska you've got high prices on stuff too but for people out here making under 6 figures it's tough.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
If you have a CDL you could get a job in any of the oil industries.

Canada has a lot of jobs but like stated it's expensive. My wife and I lived north of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan about 1 1/2hrs and it's was exoensive. Milk was over just about $5.50 a gallon; I don't remember what gas was off hand. I think there was more opertunitites in alberta though. Problem you'll have is if your record isn't clean; I know being military you should be fine but I just wanted to bring it up. Some of my coworkers had a he'll of a time getting up there for that reason. We also ran into people that didn't take to kindly to americans up there; luckily we didn't have any issues.

Like elliottw pointed out western ND is expensive and I believe they've hit the peck of the bell curve or have just about gotten there. I grew up in the east side of ND so I didn't venture to the west much till we started working in Canada.

No matter what you do you'll find a job if your motivated, ethical, have morals, are a team player, work hard, etc. You'll be fine.

Good luck in the job hunt and thank you for your service.

Yellowchevy

Good luck

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Thanks yellowchevy. I wish i would have gotten my CDL now I just have to find a school that will get me through all the driving and classes so I can get it.

It just sucks cause I'm able, willing and have a good resume it just doesn't apply to any of the labor industries and my skill is getting harder and harder to apply with the wars going away. And I can't get a phone call back but I've kept the military option open just not want I want to do forever.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
I could get you in contact with my pops. He is the lead field mechanic for Patterson drilling in the rocky mtn region...I know he could get you in contact with some people

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Big Chris

2 Duramaxes> 1 Duramax
Mar 30, 2010
Rives Junction MI
I think you got good advise from all the previous posts. Another option is a building trade. Pipefitter, electrician, operating engineer.etc. There is a lot of work in the trades in and around the oil fields too. Good luck and thank you for your service.

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Thanks Chris. I think so too. I have applied at a good amount of places. Hopefully the phone starts ringing...just need to remember patience:D

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Does anyone think trying to get on entry level with no experience is worth it? Or should I get certified as an auto/diesel mechanic and go from there?

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
I have work in North Dakota and need licensed electricians. I suggest getting on the path to licensure in plumbing or electrical. I have plumbers that get paid $90/hr.

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI
I have work in North Dakota and need licensed electricians. I suggest getting on the path to licensure in plumbing or electrical. I have plumbers that get paid $90/hr.

What?!! I am a plumber and that sounds outrageous! The more I hear about ND the more I want to move. Shawn Hannity is always talking about jobs in ND too. He has listeners call in and say they took his advise, moved out there and are making good money.

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
What?!! I am a plumber and that sounds outrageous! The more I hear about ND the more I want to move. Shawn Hannity is always talking about jobs in ND too. He has listeners call in and say they took his advise, moved out there and are making good money.

The money is great. The conditions suck and cost of living is high. A hard working man can make a killing though.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Does anyone think trying to get on entry level with no experience is worth it? Or should I get certified as an auto/diesel mechanic and go from there?

Thought about coming back to Alaska??? Fort Knox is always looking & NC Machinery as well. It would be a little tough getting on with NC without any Tech. Schooling but not impossible. I would rather have hard workers who are willing to learn on my crew...

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Thought about coming back to Alaska??? Fort Knox is always looking & NC Machinery as well. It would be a little tough getting on with NC without any Tech. Schooling but not impossible. I would rather have hard workers who are willing to learn on my crew...

Sure have but it would need to be worth the move or rotational work. I love and miss it but all my friends that always said "come back there's jobs waiting" can't deliver when I need it most. I will look into those two companies. Or if you know anyone hiring I can send a resume.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Union journeyman electrians make lots of money around here. Unfortunately you have no petrochemical background so its going to be very hard to get into the oilfield. You're going to have to wait. Shoot for 6 months and if its sooner great but if its longer don't be surprised