Oilfield or Diesel Jobs

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Posted this on CompD as well.

Just got out of the Marine Corps and looking for a job in the oilfield or in a diesel shop. Also interested in any advice on places to start looking or entry level jobs available. I am willing to relocate anywhere in the US/Canada.

Brief bit of background: Served just under 9 years, two OIF deployments, been an instructor for the past few years and my MOS was 0231 (Intelligence). The intel jobs aren't out there like they used to be and I am interested in changing career fields. I have worked on diesels of all makes and models for the past 5 years and have been welding since high school. Almost halfway done with my Bachelor's in Business Admin/Finance and looking for work. Thanks!

Kappa9012

MAN.... I Broke it again.
Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
head up to north dakota, they're soaking up people like crazy. places like wally world are paying nearly $20/hr to stock shelves since they can't find anyone.

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Really didn't know NoDak was that good of money.

What kind of jobs should I be looking for to get my foot in the door in an oilfield? Also what kind of pay can you expect in one of those starter type jobs?

TexasRob

Dec 19, 2012
Canyon Lake Texas
Look up pattersen drilling. I just went to an interview with them today. I know up in the Wyoming area they are hiring like crazy at 22 to 25 dollars an hour starting out. Plus something like 30 a day per diem. 2 weeks on 2 weeks off. They are very vet friendly. They also have rigs in Pennsylvania, New Mexico, Texas, and Oklahoma.

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Thanks for the heads up Rob. I assume with a rotational schedule I can live wherever as long as I make it to the job site on time right?

TexasRob

Dec 19, 2012
Canyon Lake Texas
Yeah the way I was explained a lot of the guys fly up. From the impression I got they like to promote from within. All depends on how hard you bust your ass.

TexasRob

Dec 19, 2012
Canyon Lake Texas
They also cover everything but food while you are on the rig. There are a lot of Oil companies hiring now. They are just the first I have actually interviewed with, and they offered me a job.

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
We've been hiring a lot at my work, lots of entry level. Not oil field, but refining :D

Checkout tsocorp.com every once and a while.

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Good point. I'm definitely a hard worker and looking for a change in careers...grew up in AK around all oilfield workers...but no one up there seems to have any entry level type work available

Thanks for the link Jason I will check out the site for sure! Any tips on entry level type jobs in your line of work?

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I was working at an entry level oil field job last year. It was working out side offloading crude oil trucks into tanks or rail cars. There I was on my feet most of the day, and 100% outside, but I started at about $30/hour, 12 hour days.

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
I was working at an entry level oil field job last year. It was working out side offloading crude oil trucks into tanks or rail cars. There I was on my feet most of the day, and 100% outside, but I started at about $30/hour, 12 hour days.

Wow..that's great money...any tips on jobs to look for or where you were working? I have worked 12+ hour shifts for weeks at a time for a few years...I'm a workhorse :D Also any insight on an American working in Canada and how that all works?

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I'm not sure what hoops you would have to jump through to work here, being American. A good site for job hunting is www.indeed.ca If you're a workhorse, they will love you up here, that's for sure.

Another great opportunity was suggested by Jason LBZrcks. Operations is a pretty good field. That's what I'm doing now.

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Thanks for the link Dan. I will look into it as I'd love to move up to Canada someday. How long about should I give an employer to respond to my application? I know these are basic questions but coming from the military it's a whole different world.

NinjaMax

WTF!
Oct 3, 2012
Severance, Colorado
Colorado oilfield is taking off big time..nodak is starting to die out..we've seen a huge influx of equipment from there..I've got a lot of connections with H&P..probably get you on a rig or in touch with the right people

Forever

This 1 time, at band camp
Jan 4, 2009
Utah
Wattenberg colorado is picking up. If you want to come to Utah, Vernal is a good place. Check out Anadarko. They are a great company to work for.

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Okay I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being too anxious and expecting it quick. I figured 3 weeks to a month roughly.