oil temp with twins

Colt

Jul 23, 2010
Are any of these trucks running that Purple Ice or similar products in their antifreeze and seeing a reduction in coolant temps? I put it in our 2 trucks and it reads like 10 to 15 deg. lower at 75 mph. It's also like 95 deg. everyday. Bit off topic but a cooler adder Jeg's promotes and runs in their racers who knows if that's one or all. I noticed it reduce my temp gauge reading though actually did what they advertise so far.

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
There are ways to help the coolant temps go down. Easy enough. However, it's the oil temps you should be concerned about. The oil doesn't cool down and actually increases in temp the harder you push it (like as in if you cool the coolant down you think it's ok to run it harder now). It's not ok. I know. It cost me a motor some years back because of cooling the coolant down and ignoring the oil temps. When I cooled the oil down the coolant temps dropped some as well. The coolant was no longer having to try to cool down the over temped oil through the heat exchanger and getting extra heated up itself in return.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I just pulled the inlaws camper (5,500# ish) down to Utah from Idaho. 100* out and very dry. Same 600+ race tune:D. Any kind of a pull up hill the oil would go from 210*-240*. Dropping out of over drive wouldn't help oil temps at all, just made them stay high, while dropping my egts from 1400* to 1150*. Water temp would stay at 210*, oil temp would hang at 230+ depending on how much of a hill I was pulling. Oil pressure never dipped below 55psi even at 240*. Anxious to get home and get my cooler installed:thumb:

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Well, Ive never been inside this engine besides injectors yet, was rebuilt 33k miles ago, so id assume it has stock ones, but ive never heard the fan kick on.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I do know that any oil cooler added will drop your coolant temps some. The temperature difference without a cooler at the point of the heat exchanger is so much greater than with a cooler, so the coolant wont be as high. Just how I see it, and backs up what coolant temps I have seen.

VinceGU05

duramax lover downunder
May 20, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Looking into fitting an oil cooler; just got a question.
whats the minimum size needed?
keep in mind i have an engine swapped truck. nissan patrol with a duramax. therefore i dont have the luxury of fitting a nice big cooler in the bottom air duct like you guys do.
was hoping a Setrab 640 12"x13"x2" would be big enough.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Now that its getting cooler outside I may have to invest in a winter front cover and make a hole for the trans cooler. My coolant stays at 170-174* and oil is ~170 at full operating temp, trans is around 150*

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Need to know which sandwich filter adapter to get the rest I can figure out. anybody got a part number on this adapter? has anyone thought about using on of the trans coolers that have their ow electric fan mounted to them and installing it along the fram rail with a thermostat switch to turn the fan on at a predetermined temp? the cooler with a 10 inch fan is 250$ or so. I do like the idea of the cooler out front better though.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I dunno but i know for a fact these cooler oil temps im getting now are keeping my coolant temps down. unless im sitting still at a traffic light for some time with the a/c on, the cooling fan never kicks on. Even towing the toyhauler home yesterday and racing a minivan on the on ramp (you can kick me mike next time you see me mike :D). Im excited to see the temp difference between what i got last year towing the hills over memorial day weekend without a cooler to this year.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Has anyone came up with an 'all-in-one' kit for oil cooling yet? I have a few customers running through the dealer that could easily benefit with an oil cooler.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I know Michael "was" but that has since changed it seems. only one that has a total kit is killerbee that i know of and his is designed for GMCs. i would bet it could be retrofitted into chevys but couldnt say for sure. plus the thing is like 1200 bucks i think