oil temp with twins

mainer

Nov 11, 2008
curious if anyone else with twins or triples for that matter is logging oil temps and or oil pressures when towing/ under heavy load

IF YOU DONT HAVE TWINS/TRIPLES I DONT CARE TO HEAR YOUR FINDINGS unless you have an oil temp gage and are seeing high temps

been experiencing oil pressures on the low side when towing (any weight really, trailer weighs 3k and empty will cause this issue in temps above 50*)

seeing pressures right at 40psi at 1700rpms on flat ground with a load on. hit a hill and it would drop below 40, which i'd then force a downshift to 3rd or 4th.

so i just put in a oil temp gage post cooler in the 10mm port (pita to get at because of front diff) figured i'd go post cooler because as long as i am feeding the engine acceptable temp oil i cant really affect how hot it gets (without adjusting egts etc)

so today, first i've driven with oil temp gage seeing 230* empty on flat ground under no load other than the truck. this is in 50* ambient temps and my truck has never gone above 180 ECT unless towing/ driving hard so it was around 180 today. i tried a few hard runs from 40-90mph and this instantly brought the oil temp up to 255* and coolant remained in the 180-185 range. today my oil pressures stayed 45psi and above at cruising speeds so i know i'm not getting it as hot as i have before.

several weeks ago i towed a 9k load home from CT about 400 miles in 70* temps oil pressure was only around 45psi going 75-85 on the highway at a constant 750-900* egt temp and 15psi boost so working steady for a few hours (this is a 550whp tune) , get off the highway about 2 huors from home and the speed limit is only 55, couldnt maintain 40 going 60 mph so i pulled over and let it high idle for 15 minutes and cool the oil off and it was fine the rest of the way home (would love to have seen oil temps then).

any one else seeing this issue? i think we have a barely acceptable oil cooling system stock (stock single turbo) from what i have seen and read and adding the 2nd turbo is overworking the oil cooling system. my ECT gage hadnt even moved today and i was already seeing 160* oil temps.

xcablb7

Feb 8, 2009
Fall River
I have not logged or checked oil temp but was having pressure issues with connoco 76 15w40 breaking down very quickly and pressure doing exactly what you described. Switched to penzoil racing 25w50 and with quite a few miles dyno pulls and drag passes it is still holding pressure much better than the 76 did on day 1

mainer

Nov 11, 2008
this is with 15w40 mobil, i've tried rotella also tried 15-50 with little to no difference between any of them....

i think your thick oil is just a band aid for the real issue... just my thoughts, 2nd turbo adds a ton of heat to the oil

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
this is with 15w40 mobil, i've tried rotella also tried 15-50 with little to no difference between any of them....

i think your thick oil is just a band aid for the real issue... just my thoughts, 2nd turbo adds a ton of heat to the oil

Foster this is one of the reasons when deciding which turbo setup to go with for my DD I opted out on twins. I think both the stock pump and cooler need attention.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I never had an oil temp gauge on when I had twins, but a few years ago with my stock motors and stock turbo twins, I noticed low oil pressure when towing a camper across Idaho from Yellowstone. Going up a hill the oil pressure would drop so low my lift pumps would shut off even if my RPM was up around 2200 (my pumps shut off when oil pressure drops below about 30 psi). The next day was when I lost a piston. I'm still thinking it wasn't a coincidence.

I now have an oil temp gauge installed pre-cooler. I have never seen temps over 230, but that is with a single stock turbo.

mainer

Nov 11, 2008
Foster this is one of the reasons when deciding which turbo setup to go with for my DD I opted out on twins. I think both the stock pump and cooler need attention.

my reason for twins was being able to tow with a 500whp tune without looking at egt gage, instead i watch my oil pressure gage as i can never get egt's over 1250 towing.

do u feel u could tow at 500-550whp with safe egt's ??

mainer

Nov 11, 2008
I never had an oil temp gauge on when I had twins, but a few years ago with my stock motors and stock turbo twins, I noticed low oil pressure when towing a camper across Idaho from Yellowstone. Going up a hill the oil pressure would drop so low my lift pumps would shut off even if my RPM was up around 2200 (my pumps shut off when oil pressure drops below about 30 psi). The next day was when I lost a piston. I'm still thinking it wasn't a coincidence.

I now have an oil temp gauge installed pre-cooler. I have never seen temps over 230, but that is with a single stock turbo.

dont the squirters open/ start spraying at 25psi? so you would have been close to not even spraying the pistons ..... and even at that spraying them with very hot oil

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
curious if anyone else with twins or triples for that matter is logging oil temps and or oil pressures when towing/ under heavy load

IF YOU DONT HAVE TWINS/TRIPLES I DONT CARE TO HEAR YOUR FINDINGS unless you have an oil temp gage and are seeing high temps

I only 1/3 qualify to post here so if you dont care, dont read the rest

Stock turbo

yes oil temp gauge

no high temps on it, towing or empty

Oil temp is always a few under ECT. ECT has hit 200 but its rare

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
dont the squirters open/ start spraying at 25psi? so you would have been close to not even spraying the pistons ..... and even at that spraying them with very hot oil
In theory, but I read a test that someone did a while back (I don't remember who it was) where he tested the squirters. With cold oil, it didn't really spray at lower pressures, but with the oil at 190 degrees, it squirted across his shop with something like 20 psi of pressure. I'll see if I can find it.

mainer

Nov 11, 2008
I only 1/3 qualify to post here so if you dont care, dont read the rest

Stock turbo

yes oil temp gauge

no high temps on it, towing or empty

Oil temp is always a few under ECT. ECT has hit 200 but its rare

pre or post cooler? stock tune?

my temps are post cooler.... wouldnt want to see them pre cooler, truck has 260k, 50k w/ twins and 500+

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
pre or post cooler? stock tune?

my temps are post cooler.... wouldnt want to see them pre cooler, truck has 260k, 50k w/ twins and 500+
Temp sensor is in the port that faces down where the oil filter screws on

Towing more than 5K or so 6gun on 2. Towing 3-5 K 6gun on 3 or 4. Towing under 3K or empty 6gun on 6

mainer

Nov 11, 2008
Temp sensor is in the port that faces down where the oil filter screws on

Towing more than 5K or so 6gun on 2. Towing 3-5 K 6gun on 3 or 4. Towing under 3K or empty 6gun on 6

so is that pre or post?

i have mine in the other down facing port that has a 10mm allen plug in it stock, it faces the front diff and is a pita to get at, it is post cooler per txchristophers posts about coolers.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i noticed my oil pressure would drop when i towed steves truck to cali. was runnin a 450hp or more tune with 12k on the back. when in 5th gear at cruise i would run a little over 40psi. if i rolled into it and jsut built boost up to say 20-25psi while still in 5th gear the pressure would drop to right on 40psi or maybe a hair under. never got worse than that and this was in 70* or so weather. i posted about it awhile back and was told its normal which i can see why thats so. couldnt tell you the temps though, ect was at 190 the whole time. even did a few WOT runs up a steep hill jsut outside Indio and never had oil pressure drop lower than what i described above. we hit 90mph quickly and ran 1300 on the egts before i backed it down cause thats all i wanted to go lol.

tractor

Mar 19, 2009
Spring Creek,NV
I have a oil temp guage with my twin setup and monitor it pretty close,
When I run It real hard I have seen it get to 250 when doing testing with different tunes.
I now start backing it down when I get to 230 and when doing normal driving it usually about 10-15 above water temp.
Hope it helped some.
Darryl

calabria69

Beerstud1
Oct 8, 2008
Santaquin, Utah
Mine is pre cooler, Ive seen temps up to 240 when pulling real heavy, normal everyday driving is 185-200, I've installed a cooler, but the weather hasn't warmed up enough to even put it to the test...

xcablb7

Feb 8, 2009
Fall River
Band aid or not I'm much morre comfortable with my oil pressure now and the oil doesn't break down anywhere near as fast, the second turbo must add a lot of heat to the oil so you can either run a heavier better oil or add another oil cooler

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
my reason for twins was being able to tow with a 500whp tune without looking at egt gage, instead i watch my oil pressure gage as i can never get egt's over 1250 towing.

do u feel u could tow at 500-550whp with safe egt's ??

I can't say as I haven't pulled anything with it yet. I haven't seen over 1000 on the street.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
  • Piston Cooling Jet Valve Opening Pressure
196 KPa

29 psi
Piston Cooling Jet Valve Opening Pressure 29 psi does not matter how far it shoots. The piston comes down to the jet.