Need a new stereo whats the best for the $?

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
So I am bored and feel like spendin some money. I want to put a new system in my 07. It does NOT have the LUX option, No steering wheel controls. I was curious what you all recommend for a new head unit. I'm not lookin to drop to much $. I just want a good crisp sound CD/MP3/IPOD capable unit.

I have 2 10" Solobaric (square) Kickers from my last truck I will just reuse. Who makes a good sub box for under the rear seat or behind the seat?

Thanks fellas.

Last edited:

Duramax_JP

Jul 3, 2008
pioneer double din with navi i think its the d3!

x2 thats what I have. Although, it does have a few drawbacks. At least mine does. You cant put the navi cd and a musci cd in at the same time and the voltage is only 2.2 which hurts sound quality a tad compared to somethin thats got like 5v

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
i like the jvc i put in the truck. plays mp3, usb reader, bluetooth for the phone and bluetooth audio so i can play music from the 8 gig card in my phone via bluetooth. had a 12 disc mp3 changer in the van, stuck it in the truck instead. never run out of tunes.

definitly get one with a usb/sd card reader

bmos37

Nov 23, 2008
Gainesville,FL.
x2 thats what I have. Although, it does have a few drawbacks. At least mine does. You cant put the navi cd and a musci cd in at the same time and the voltage is only 2.2 which hurts sound quality a tad compared to somethin thats got like 5v

You guy's trying to get him lost with that suggestion? Just kidding! But if your gonna recommend a Double Din Nav unit it's gotta be Kenwood as they are the only ones to use Garmin Navigation. There are know dead ends or wrong turns with a garmin:rofl:

bonescarolfi

Sep 3, 2008
Marshfield WI
My brother got a pioneer not too long ago with everything u would want except usb port for around 140. The next one up had a usb port and Bluetooth and wasn't too much more. Like said above jvc and kenwood are good brands too.

Last edited:

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
I was looking at the Kenwood, with DVD and Nav.the units were not that bad in price. want to say I saw one on sale for 600 area.

FMOS

Hard Up
Nov 19, 2008
Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
I've got the Pioneer D3. Its a sweet unit all around except for the previously mentioned Navi CD deal... thats a pain in the ass. What you can do though is put in the cd, navigate a route, save it, then take the cd out and put whatever you want in.

As far as sound quality though, it sucks. There is so much distortion once you start to crank it up its ridiculous. I didn't realize it was because of the low voltage though.

With the Bose... I was told I needed to have one of those PAC2 modules because of the powered speakers. So I put one in and wired it all up correctly and everything works fine, even Onstar. But when you turn it up, SQ sucks.

I know of people who did it without module and it works alright, no Onstar or anything though. And also, when you were turning it up, usually about 50 clicks is wound right out. Without the module, 10 clicks was wound out. So that was messed up. I can't speak for SQ though.

Whats a guy gotta do if he wants to have a good stereo? Do you need to rewire all of the speakers and run amps? Should a guy change the speakers if he's going to that much trouble?

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
i think there is a problem with the factory wiring. my front speakers have blow twice and i dont really crack the volume. they are blown now and i have to put it all on th rear. cant get sound out of them at all. done it with the factory radio and the jvc. i got to get on that.

got a list of little things to do to the truck and its growing fast

bonescarolfi

Sep 3, 2008
Marshfield WI
If you want something with good sound quality and no dvd or nav then something like these should work well.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8130738&type=product&id=1158321454732
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9197175&type=product&id=1218056226379
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8739797&type=product&id=1201913868299
If you want dvd and or nav with good sound quality you'll probably be spending quite a bit.
Or a person could go to a store that specializes in car audio equipment and ask them what they recommend. Some of the people working at stores like that know what they're talking about.

Last edited:

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Man! Ur a Kansan:confused:, grab a wheat stalk and a banjo, you dont need no dang rad........

Oh wait......

:spit:

Pioneer, Alpine are my faves. Eclipse is nice but priiiiiiiicy.

brown bear

como estan beeches!!
Mar 31, 2009
Durango CO
if anyone has o bose stock cd player and even speakers let my know we can make a deal i got some audio stuff that i dont use any more

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Eclipse's interfaces are dumb, and they are hard to upgrade......i am still going with Kenwood over everybody, I do like Clarion units but i haven't had one of their high-end pieces in my hands yet