Melting pistons.

Accelerator

On a Time Out
Mar 12, 2009
Yup. You didn't "tune" anything. You don't have tuning tools for the CR yet.

PPE built me custom software, that ended up pushing us into the 10's !!

it took several different tunes to get it right, they went off of what i requested for timing duration and RP, among other tuning items....matter of fact the same tune is now offered as a on the shelf program.

with the help of PPE we were the first CR dodge in the low 12's, first in the low 11's and second in the 10's, and still the fastest single charged 04 dodge in this country, years later!

But we have not raced in that trim since late 07, the truck is sold now.

Pat, your gettin old, did you forget all this dodge CR history already..:rofl:

the nitrous was 100% MY tuning!

Last edited:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
PPE built me custom software, that ended up pushing us into the 10's !!

it took several different tunes to get it right, they went off of what i requested for timing duration and RP, among other tuning items....matter of fact the same tune is now offered as a on the shelf program.

with the help of PPE we were the first CR doge in the low 12's, first in the low 11's and second in the 10's, and still the fastest single charged 04 dodge in this country, years later!

But we have not raced in that trim since late 07, the truck is sold now.

Pat, your gettin old, did you forget all this dodge CR history already..:rofl:

So PPE tuned your truck! Why didn't you say so? :D

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
Show me when you can tune a 7200lbs truck on street tires to do this , smokeless after launch.......thats nitrous tuning!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiiFRdIjbi8&feature=related year 2007 !!

Need more proof?

Wade your out gunned! Give up and stick with trying to talk tech. It will work out much better for you in the long if you do not hassle Sting.

Half a second quicker and 15 mph = :wup:
[YOUTUBE]m-bK9WVIFEA[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

Accelerator

On a Time Out
Mar 12, 2009
Wade your out gunned! Give up and stick with trying to talk tech. It will work out much better for you in the long if you do not hassle Sting.

Half a second quicker and 15 mph = :wup:
[YOUTUBE]m-bK9WVIFEA[/YOUTUBE]

over 1200 weight difference Too!!! think that accounts for anything? plus it was back in 2007.......oh well.

Accelerator

On a Time Out
Mar 12, 2009
I have the fastest 2005 Summit White GMC 4x4 purchased in Nevada, with a single charger, no front plate, VIN ending with a 6, with OnStar, and fuzzy dice on the mirror, but you don't hear me bragging about it. :D

i was challenged to produce results.......i proved my point!

Accelerator

On a Time Out
Mar 12, 2009
i think that were creating too much heat on the top of the piston, and as RPM becomes a factor it only gets worse....less time for piston cooling.

the heat soaked piston cant cool fast enough, and the high rail pressure is washing the piston crown away, and busting hole in the top of the piston, because it's on the verg of melting allready at that point.

We need to figure out what can be done to increase the pistons ability to cool itself before the next combustion event, like maybe not heat it up as much in the prior event , like what johnboy said, less duration, which in my mind means less heat, and less cylinder PSI, which is also a contributing factor to heat.

then maybe rail PSI would not damage pistons as bad, then again it could be the material of the piston too. lots of variables

knagel

weakest link finder
Jun 4, 2007
Central, Iowa
I think I melted my pistons, won't know for another week when the engine is torn down. I don't think it was a crack, too much blow by. I am running 40% sticks and a single CP3 when it happened. Was still running the 3250 pw and pulling my rail down to 21000. I think if I had the dual CP3 on this might not have happened. My theory is the injector was open but not enough pressure to make a spray and all it was doing at the end of the shot was dribbling and created a hot spot and with high boost blew a hole. This is only a theory. It had 12 hooks on the new turbo and sticks. Happened at 175'. You can see the vid in the tuning section.

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Im no expert and at times dont know jack about sh!t but.....Id put my money on TIME as the main contributor aswell. At high RPM's, just not enough time for the heat to be expelled. Surely, as in most catasthrophies of any kind, there are a number of factors that add up to create the disaster. IMO, cast pistons arn't up to the tasks were pushing them too now. We have more capabilitys to squeak more power out and its showing. As in gassers, castings are real tough up to a certain point and reach there ends rapidly. Anyone ever welded/melted some cast aluminum with a torch and see and feel how it reacts? Kinda the same i imagine. Forged IMO is the awnser. Not enough knowledge yet to really back that up well, and as mentioned, falures have been hush, hush it there were any. ;) I hope to better contribute in the future;):D

JOHNBOY

Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
I think I melted my pistons, won't know for another week when the engine is torn down. I don't think it was a crack, too much blow by. I am running 40% sticks and a single CP3 when it happened. Was still running the 3250 pw and pulling my rail down to 21000. I think if I had the dual CP3 on this might not have happened. My theory is the injector was open but not enough pressure to make a spray and all it was doing at the end of the shot was dribbling and created a hot spot and with high boost blew a hole. This is only a theory. It had 12 hooks on the new turbo and sticks. Happened at 175'. You can see the vid in the tuning section.

First sorry to hear about the engine.

With 40% overs you where able to hold rail pressure with a single CP3 and a 3250?? Dang that seems strange to me. 40% overs and a single in my expereince means a max pulse of around 2100.

JOHNBOY

Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
At high RPM's, just not enough time for the heat to be expelled. Double edged sword. Less time to cool also means less time to get hot.

Forged IMO is the awnser. Not enough knowledge yet to really back that up well, and as mentioned, falures have been hush, hush it there were any. ;) I hope to better contribute in the future;):D Forged alloys melt at the same temp as cast pistons. If your cracking than a forging will help. If your melting well it will not make much difference

Replies in Blue.

Last edited:

knagel

weakest link finder
Jun 4, 2007
Central, Iowa
Thanks Johnboy. St. Joe Diesel is doing the build with Guy parts:D I was holding rail pressure between 20500 and 21000 with these sticks but would always set a low fuel rail pressure code (which doesn't suprise me). I was within a week of hanging the duals on and then bam. I still think the injectors were dribbling and creating a hot spot to be blown through. Guess we'll see when the engine is opened.

Kev

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
i think that were creating too much heat on the top of the piston, and as RPM becomes a factor it only gets worse....less time for piston cooling.

the heat soaked piston cant cool fast enough, and the high rail pressure is washing the piston crown away, and busting hole in the top of the piston, because it's on the verg of melting allready at that point.

We need to figure out what can be done to increase the pistons ability to cool itself before the next combustion event, like maybe not heat it up as much in the prior event , like what johnboy said, less duration, which in my mind means less heat, and less cylinder PSI, which is also a contributing factor to heat.

then maybe rail PSI would not damage pistons as bad, then again it could be the material of the piston too. lots of variables

So how does rail pressure cause the damage?

The only thing I can think of, if this is true, Flash during injection? But I don't know? The effect of the spray from increased pressure but seems kinda lame and would be a lack of pressure if this is the case. Seems the tension of coolish air on the piston in relation to flame front would help reduce piston heat soak.