Melting pistons.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Duramax tuning

Like Pat said these are just my opinion's on what I have seen. Wade is TOOL!!!While he is inovating and setting the world on fire the rest of us will actually be doing something with are stuff instead of talking about it. NOS will not burn faster in a diesel (Wade :rolleyes:) It will not burn until there is something there to burn. Will it make more PSI in the cylinder? YES, It has to to make more power. If you add more air and fuel to make more power it too will make more PSI in the cylinder. I have burn't a lot of nitrous in my motor over the years and NEVER burn't anything. I did have head gaskets leaking but everything else looked good. The rings were the only thing that should have been replaced. I run over 35* timing, over 30k pressure, shift at 4500 rpm and knock on wood it just keeps running like the energizer bunny. I think the piston problem is just that we are asking to much from a stock cast piston! We run smoking hot temps above the piston and spray +/- 250* oil on the bottom to try and cool them. If you cool something to fast or to slow bad things happen. Just my thoughts but I do agree heat kills. P.S. Wade is still a tool!!!!!!!!! Jeff

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
I can think of a word that rhymes with tool though...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Too funny!

On a serious note. The bigger the charger I go to, the higher the EGTs are at standard tow speeds. More RPM needed? I back down a gear and run at 3K+ up the big grades to keep the EGTs in check. Mind you these are 10K+ passes I have to go up and I have the camper on (5K+ loaded) and usually something pulled behind me (toys or Boat). I could also send the EGTs into the upper atmosphere even with the stock charger on the stock tune way back when. Is RPM the key in this aspect of high EGTs? Could this melt down the house too if not kept in check well?

Last edited:

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
I dont buy the whole cylinder presssure, big timing, high rail pressure is evil deal. I run lots of timing always have. Just like Sting. Also like Sting upon tear down my pistons have always looked good. I have said it many times the people misunderstand timing and why we need it. You need to look at timing in more than one way. So many people just look at as Crank Angle Degress. To really understand timing you need to think of it as TIME also. (Search me I have made some long posts about this). Once you get a grasp about about the how Crank Angle relates to time you can then look at the pulse size and see how much of you fuel shot is really injected before TDC. Low timing with a big pulse means lots of fuel injected ATDC. That makes heat and will burn down pistons. Load up JoshH's timing calculator. Copy the stock tables into it. Now go to the bottom and look at the last table. That table show % of your pulse that happens before TDC. Now load up you big tune tables and try again. Way different! To help get the % back you need to lower your pulse, add timing, raise pressure, or increase the size of your injector.

These are things I said years ago and where considered radical. Now people are starting to take a hard look and realize those Ideas make good sense. Those ideas are not my own. That was stuff I learned from talking with some of the best people in tractor pulling. I love it that people like to think that CR diesel is different than old mechcanical pump stuff. The truth is there is very little difference. We simply have better control over are fuel injection. That does not change the rule of a compression ignition engine.

To quote the wise man Fingers.
"But what do I know?" :coolspot:

Accelerator

On a Time Out
Mar 12, 2009
Like Pat said these are just my opinion's on what I have seen. Wade is TOOL!!!While he is inovating and setting the world on fire the rest of us will actually be doing something with are stuff instead of talking about it. NOS will not burn faster in a diesel (Wade :rolleyes:) It will not burn until there is something there to burn. Will it make more PSI in the cylinder? YES, It has to to make more power. If you add more air and fuel to make more power it too will make more PSI in the cylinder. I have burn't a lot of nitrous in my motor over the years and NEVER burn't anything. I did have head gaskets leaking but everything else looked good. The rings were the only thing that should have been replaced. I run over 35* timing, over 30k pressure, shift at 4500 rpm and knock on wood it just keeps running like the energizer bunny. I think the piston problem is just that we are asking to much from a stock cast piston! We run smoking hot temps above the piston and spray +/- 250* oil on the bottom to try and cool them. If you cool something to fast or to slow bad things happen. Just my thoughts but I do agree heat kills. P.S. Wade is still a tool!!!!!!!!! Jeff

Jeff obviously you did not read my first post very well, as you just restated what i posted......:baby:
in a effort to look stupid, that you do well.

In red show me where i said that it did what you claim?

im not the idiot you "think" i am, i would be sure to surprise you on any given day, on any engine subject. try me... even you could learn :rofl:

Ahh, i got it, you must be one of those guys who cant stand not being the smartest one around, and try to call others names, and throw jabs to discredit there abilities...... things that make you go hummmmm......

Last edited:

Accelerator

On a Time Out
Mar 12, 2009
I dont buy the whole cylinder presssure, big timing, high rail pressure is evil deal. I run lots of timing always have. Just like Sting. Also like Sting upon tear down my pistons have always looked good. I have said it many times the people misunderstand timing and why we need it. You need to look at timing in more than one way. So many people just look at as Crank Angle Degress. To really understand timing you need to think of it as TIME also. (Search me I have made some long posts about this). Once you get a grasp about about the how Crank Angle relates to time you can then look at the pulse size and see how much of you fuel shot is really injected before TDC. Low timing with a big pulse means lots of fuel injected ATDC. That makes heat and will burn down pistons. Load up JoshH's timing calculator. Copy the stock tables into it. Now go to the bottom and look at the last table. That table show % of your pulse that happens before TDC. Now load up you big tune tables and try again. Way different! To help get the % back you need to lower your pulse, add timing, raise pressure, or increase the size of your injector.

These are things I said years ago and where considered radical. Now people are starting to take a hard look and realize those Ideas make good sense. Those ideas are not my own. That was stuff I learned from talking with some of the best people in tractor pulling. I love it that people like to think that CR diesel is different than old mechcanical pump stuff. The truth is there is very little difference. We simply have better control over are fuel injection. That does not change the rule of a compression ignition engine.

i agree with the lower duration idea, because that will give you better controll over the real injection timing and RP events, in real time..

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I though the main reason for higher RPMs is to keep the engine together at high power levels. So if your dropping them isn't it going to be at possibly a much higher cost? I would think the secret or a big part of the puzzle lies with the LBZs+ since they have more trouble with the pistons

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Too funny!

On a serious note. The bigger the charger I go to, the higher the EGTs are at standard tow speeds. More RPM needed? I back down a gear and run at 3K+ up the big grades to keep the EGTs in check. Mind you these are 10K+ passes I have to go up and I have the camper on (5K+ loaded) and usually something pulled behind me (toys or Boat). I could also send the EGTs into the upper atmosphere even with the stock charger on the stock tune way back when. Is RPM the key in this aspect of high EGTs? Could this melt down the house too if not kept in check well?

Well, you will certainly injure your turbo with high sustained EGT's. I'm another guy who tows in the mountains at higher RPM's. Oil pressure is up, and EGT's are down.

Melting the pistons hasn't appeared to be a risk with less than 700HP unless an injector sticks, then it can happen at stock power even.

Cracking pistons? Different subject.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Not smart at all!!

I'm a dumb Ohio hillbilly! Just smart enough to go faster than YOU. It's all talk with you. I really don't know much about diesel's thats why I try to learn (by doing not talking). Show us something, Then I will be impressed. Talks cheap! Jeff

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX

Thanks to Fingers we no longer guess/calculate what is going on. We know for sure.

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
Yup. At the time I blamed nitrous. Imagine my surprise when we stopped spraying and it still happened.

My opinions are just that, opinions. And they often change as time goes on and I learn more.

It would be cool to compare today's opinions with those. How we have all changed.

I can't remember you thinking nitrous was the cause but maybe I read past all nitrous related info :baby:. Oh how I shouldn't have.

Seems cylinder temperature can be calculated from pressure. As pressure rises temperature rises and we can measure pressure fairly accurately. I kinda remember some talk way back regarding longer high pressure vs. super high pressure for a short time. Care to give your opinion on this Pat?

I'd always thought higher for longer, less heat conversion absorbed in block and such.

Accelerator

On a Time Out
Mar 12, 2009
I'm a dumb Ohio hillbilly! Just smart enough to go faster than YOU. It's all talk with you. I really don't know much about diesel's thats why I try to learn (by doing not talking). Show us something, Then I will be impressed. Talks cheap! Jeff

Show me when you can tune a 7200lbs truck on street tires to do this , smokeless after launch.......thats nitrous tuning!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiiFRdIjbi8&feature=related year 2007 !!

Need more proof?

Last edited: