Low Coolant light

LB7Diesel

Oh Boy!
Sep 3, 2006
Melbourne, F.L.
Just got back into town with a problem. My truck keep's displaying Low Coolant. I'll add coolant to it and it will come on again in a few days. If I pop the Hood i can smell Coolant but can't find 1 Damn Leak.. I've heard of this before but no real ansewer... It's not in the Oil either..WTF

Joey

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
make sure its not a heater core and it leaking inside you florrboards

i was just talking with joey tonight about this because i too have a coolant leak :(

im getting a code for the HVAC p0229 i dont smell coolant when in the truck
and im not leaking a hole bunch im geussing head gasket for me
none of my hoses appear to be leaking

what should the rad hoses feel like when the truck is running hard or soft?

also coolant overflow does not bubble or look abnormal when idleing after a hard run:confused:

exhaust is brutal smelling though, burns the eyes:confused:

LB7Diesel

Oh Boy!
Sep 3, 2006
Melbourne, F.L.
I looked all over and see no leaking Coolant anywhere...But I have a strong smell of Coolant on Pass side by the Overflow Resevoir.. Wondering if the Reservoir is some how leaking at the Seam?? Nothing is wet though??? How can you tell if it's a Head Gasket? I did remove the oil fill cap and there was a small amount of moister under it???

Joey

big_jon00

Aug 9, 2006
DeForest WI
I had a similar problem with mine it ended up being the water pump.. if it leaks a little with the fan blowing on it it can be hard to tell at times..
What is your milage? my water pump went out around 55-60k??
Just a thought.
Jon

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
I've had to replace a couple of those 3/8" or 1/2" hose thats about 2" long underneith the water pump. They seem to leak on me and it was really hard to figure out the first time.

Diesel Pilot

Hat? Suitcase? 50 BMG?
Aug 9, 2006
Pickerington, OH
I've had to replace a couple of those 3/8" or 1/2" hose thats about 2" long underneith the water pump. They seem to leak on me and it was really hard to figure out the first time.

I had one of these explode on my while driving really hard. Lot's of water and steam and belt squealing.:eek: :( I thought the worst, but it turned out to be one of those little hoses.:eek:

LB7Diesel

Oh Boy!
Sep 3, 2006
Melbourne, F.L.
I had a similar problem with mine it ended up being the water pump.. if it leaks a little with the fan blowing on it it can be hard to tell at times..
What is your milage? my water pump went out around 55-60k??
Just a thought.
Jon

I have 83K on Her Jon..I'm sure the Pump hasn't been changed.. I looked today real close in that area and I couldn't see anything but then again it's not real easy to see much of that..I'll look more into that though..Is the H2O Pump covered under the 100K waranty??

Joey

TxChristopher

Sometimes Helpful
Feb 8, 2007
I have 83K on Her Jon..I'm sure the Pump hasn't been changed.. I looked today real close in that area and I couldn't see anything but then again it's not real easy to see much of that..I'll look more into that though..Is the H2O Pump covered under the 100K waranty??

Joey

Yes it is.

Make sure the smell of coolant is not coming out the overflow tube that goes from the cap then down the side of the degas tank and dumps on the fender. Get a coke bottle and run the hose into the bottle and drive around, better not get coolant in that bottle or you have problems.

TxChristopher

Sometimes Helpful
Feb 8, 2007
i was just talking with joey tonight about this because i too have a coolant leak :(

im getting a code for the HVAC p0229 i dont smell coolant when in the truck
and im not leaking a hole bunch im geussing head gasket for me
none of my hoses appear to be leaking

what should the rad hoses feel like when the truck is running hard or soft?

also coolant overflow does not bubble or look abnormal when idleing after a hard run:confused:

exhaust is brutal smelling though, burns the eyes:confused:

Upper rad hose should be firm but compressible with thumb on one side and two fingers on other side of the hose after truck is warmed up. If it is rock hard or quickly blooms out after starting there is a compression source getting to the coolant (head gasket)

big_jon00

Aug 9, 2006
DeForest WI
If you take it to the dealer you will have the $100 deductable but the water pump is covered. They even gave me a loaner while they fixed mine. I just told them my coolant light came on didn't even really look for it since is was going in for injector issues. They called me back and said they put a new pump on and the injectors were ok and something about bad fuel.. it ran better when I got it back thats all that mattered.
From the amount of work to put a pump on I am glad it was done under warranty!!
Jon

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
I got my water pump replaced under the 100 dollar deductable also with 97K miles.....
Also, I messed up about that little hose. Its not under the water pump, its just above the pump and below the thermostat housing. I had to double check today to make sure I was wrong....
I hope you figure out what it is...like Big Jon said, with the fan blowing,its hard to tell just where its coming from!

LB7Diesel

Oh Boy!
Sep 3, 2006
Melbourne, F.L.
Been out of the Loop for awile.. Sorry guy's.. No I havn't found the Mother f@#! Leak yet..It's like a Fine Tit Dancer ..You can smell it but just can't put your finger on it... It's frustrating...I guess i could take it to the dealer but i'd have to remove a few things under the hood..Not really into that right now..

Joey