Lbz gauge cluster in lb7?

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
I've been having issues with my cluster lately and just last night it stopped working all together. If I can't fix it and have to buy a new one. Would a cluster from an lbz work?

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Yes but are you talking about installing a used cluster? You will have to have it sent off to a cluster place to have them change the mileage to either your mileage now, or set it to zero. Then a dealer can reprogram the miles. But either way it will need a dealer reprogram to make it work.

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
Yeah I knew about the mileage part. I know enough people at dealers who can do that for me. I just wanted to make sure it was a plug and play kind if thing. Thanks for the quick response :thumb:

Dallas S

Jun 17, 2009
Alberta
I don't think it will work. Shifter position area is different/manual mode on 06. I could be wrong but they are defenantly different so I wouldn't assume it's a plug and play.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
work perfect without programing I have one had it in for 60k miles I found one with similar mileage and just threw it in no problems

no not completely perfectly.......

overdrive lockout light wont work.

And when you manually shift to "3" or "2", the gear indicator display on the cluster will go blank. So the LED underline on the gear display will only work in Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive, and 1.

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
My PRNDL hasn't worked since the day I got it so I'm not worried about that. I have the fleece tapshifter so would the gear I'm in show up on the dash still. If not no biggie. Like I said it didn't work on mine anyways. Only reason I ask about an lbz cluster is because of the tach difference. Unless I can just get a new backing to put on an lb7 cluster. Then I won't care what year the cluster comes out of.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I have the fleece tapshifter so would the gear I'm in show up on the dash still.

No, it wont show the gear you're in, unless you have 5th gear or 4th gear selected with the tapshifter (cluster will show "D" for both 5 and 4).

When you tap down to 3 or 2, the display will just go blank.

The tach is the same, that wont make a difference. All duramax tach's (2001-2014+) are 0rpm-5000rpm. Only difference is the overlay. So the tach will read the correct rpm because the numbers are in the same spot and the stepper motor is calibrated exactly the same.

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
If you find it let me know. I had a half tank when it went out so I'll fill the tank and hope everything is good until I get a new cluster.

My fuel Guage speedo eft ect all work fine no issues still only thing I dont have is instant fuel eco just average but I dont care bout that do if you do maybe the programing will fix that

Ben is it possible to program the cluster at any time or after the 15 miles it locks in to the truck

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
The tach is the same, that wont make a difference. All duramax tach's (2001-2014+) are 0rpm-5000rpm. Only difference is the overlay. So the tach will read the correct rpm because the numbers are in the same spot and the stepper motor is calibrated exactly the same.

I was talking about the overlay on the cluster. I don't like seeing it in the red all the time so figured I wouldn't feel as bad for my engine if I had the lbz overlay :roflmao:
Thanks for all the info. It sounds like its best to just get the same one for my truck so I know everything will work right. Unless I pull this one apart and find the problem.
I keep trying to start my twin build but it seems like my truck has other things it wants me to take care of first :mad:

ACiFiC

Oct 14, 2012
Canada
I had a really dicked cluster when I got my truck, sent it to a guy to have it rebuilt and now it's like new, probably be the best route :p

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
There's a place by me that does them for the gm dealerships. It's around $200 to get it rebuilt. If I can find a decent used one for cheaper then I'll just use that.

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
I picked up a cluster out of an 06 lbz for $150. Everything works I just need to get the odometer programmed. I don't have 300000 miles on my truck lol.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 25