LB7 to LBZ (Wiring)

TexasRedNeck

Diesel Newbie
Nov 25, 2012
Houston, Texas
Great read, Subbed to follow as I plan on what to do with my LB7. I read the Hark write up using an LLY in an LB7 using LB7 turbo, intake and ECM/FICU. Question is: If I want to build a frankenstein motor to put in my 2001 LB7, should I use the later block/crank from an LBZ with the better bottom end (and fewer cooling issues than the LLY) and put LLY heads on it and then use the LB7 turbo and electroinics?

Assuming all that bolts up, would I use the CP3 from the LLY or LBZ?

Or will the LBZ heads and injectors work with the LB7 ECM/FICU, intake and turbo like the LLY engine swap into the LB7?

Would like to start aquiring parts for the inevitable but want to start with the best block/heads that I can.

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Was just going over the wiring, and realized that one wire is missing! When installing the tap shifter.... You need to pull a wire (purple) from "B", and you also need to tap into the pink wire on the colum. If you don't, "M" will not illuminate on the cluster, and tap shift will not function. Also.., the LLY lower rad hose will work on an LBZ water pump if you use a cheap muffler tubing expander, and let it set for a few hrs. Then warm it up before sliding it over the water pump neck. It's still a b!tch, but no frankenhose..

Last edited:

Modrodder

Dec 27, 2012
Central Missouri
What is a rough price for swapping an 04 LB7 to LBZ? I'm at the point that I need to have injectors done and would go that route if not much more. Also do you know of any shops in Missouri capable of doing it? Thanks.

Dusty92900

Oct 8, 2013
Ok, here's the deal: I did this swap from my '04 LB7 to an '07 LBZ and I've been having only one problem since then and I cannot resolve it. I'm still not sure if it's something that I did, or just one of those "sh1t happens" kind of deals. Regardless, I need assistance in the electrical department since I suck at it!!

I did the re-pin of the C100 as RPM Motorsports detailed on this thread over 3 years ago. My truck does run now, but several things don't work: no gear selector illumination, no low 4wd, no back up lights, no tranny temp, and it is very rough shifting from reverse to park (not sure if this is associated or not).

I've done some reading on here about possible problems and several indicators lead to a connection issue with the "data com 2" stuff. I checked it out tonight and I've found that my yellow wire from the SP205 leads to a dead end under the underhood fuse box due to the re-pinning of the C100. This should be connected to the #30 spot on my TCM, but that position from the donor isn't even used ... wtf?!?! Anybody have any clues???

Dusty92900

Oct 8, 2013
Scratch the last part about the #30 connection to the TCM ... that was off of the LB7 schematic

Dusty92900

Oct 8, 2013
Yes I did, but forgot to list that until you mentioned it. It was completely un-responsive before that was done. If I remember correctly, I just moved over the top of the fuse block from the donor.

The donor was damaged in the front so I can't rule out a bad TCM, but I would have thought that it would work fine, or not at all. My brother has '06 LLY (with a 6 speed) so I'm probably gonna try swapping out the TCMs and see if that eliminates a possibility. Can't think of anything that would hurt anyway ...

Dusty92900

Oct 8, 2013
HA!! Finally figured out my problem! There's something wrong with my TCM. Swapped out mine with my brother's and problem solved. Just an update for anyone having similar issues ...

bigmackmiller

Nov 30, 2008
Kokomo, IN
So if you had a donor and swapped complete harness ecm bcm and tcm from a LBZ in to an 01' would you by pass the communication problem?

16mustangs

Sep 21, 2014
Andrews S.C.
I have a 2003 it was built 11 month 2002 it is a diesel 4x4 hd. I have a complete 2008 2 wheel drive I would like to be able to just repin and use all the 2008 motor and trans ( both are automatic ) is there a video or a book for dumies lol I know wiring pretty good but I have never tackled one of these or is there anybody close to S.C. that you know that can do the wiring. Can anybody tell me if the dash shell will fit in the 2003 anybody that can help can call me if they like 8433876933 my name is Phillip this truck is how I make my living so I got to get it back on the road :thumb:

LB7LBZ

Mar 23, 2014
This thread is the best and most extensive wiring notes I've found, thanks for all the help with my swap.

drbird123

Jul 15, 2010
Hi, I just did the swap from LB7 to the LBZ and I got everything put back together. It will start and run for a couple seconds then it shuts off. I did the VATS relearn and then did the VATS bypass and it still does the same thing. I double checked the wiring and everything is good accept maybe the purple wire for the tap shift, I used the steering column from the LBZ so it had all the wiring but I wasn't sure if a wire still needed to be run from the fuse box to the interior for the tap shift. Any help or suggestions would be great!!!

Thanks

Dan

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Hi, I just did the swap from LB7 to the LBZ and I got everything put back together. It will start and run for a couple seconds then it shuts off. I did the VATS relearn and then did the VATS bypass and it still does the same thing. I double checked the wiring and everything is good accept maybe the purple wire for the tap shift, I used the steering column from the LBZ so it had all the wiring but I wasn't sure if a wire still needed to be run from the fuse box to the interior for the tap shift. Any help or suggestions would be great!!!

Thanks

Dan

are you using a Kodiak tune in the ecm? If so fill it up with coolant or bypass the coolant switch.. Don't ask me how I know