LB7 Intake Heater

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
I was working on the motor yesterday swapping exhaust housings. I pulled the Intake heater coil out to ease the removal of the compressor cover.

Man is that coil big and takes up quite a bit or room in the intake horn. Looks to be quite a restriction also.

Anyone thought of deleting this? In a warmer climate I would think that it doesnt cycle very often and the glowplugs would sufficient for cold days.

Any thoughts?

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
I was working on the motor yesterday swapping exhaust housings. I pulled the Intake heater coil out to ease the removal of the compressor cover.

Man is that coil big and takes up quite a bit or room in the intake horn. Looks to be quite a restriction also.

Anyone thought of deleting this? In a warmer climate I would think that it doesnt cycle very often and the glowplugs would sufficient for cold days.

Any thoughts?

yep i did while ago early 07.. cut all the coil elements off then stuck it back in there.. left the ~1/8" rod going down the center.. either way it is better then the ~1" coil that is oem there

used EFI live to turn off the intake heater permantly i put all tables to 0

the coldest i have started up is ~48* with no problem.
you can also control start-up time the GP are on (b0401)
and the engine running time the GPs are one (b0402) value is seconds of time the GP are on

Last edited:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Travis you want the plug?:D

lots of people remove it,LLY dont even have a intake heater

you can use EFI to disable the coil and just remember to wrap the wire up in electrical tape.....there is a lot of voltage to that wire

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Anyone know what, were, or how much $ for a plug? I'd like to keep my heater as a working part. Pipe plug from hardware store?

02freighttrain

Team Salad Bartender
Aug 13, 2006
sootville, Fl
Mines gone too. Looks like it could be a sizeable restriction. Don't know what the effect would be on a 0 degree morning. BTW doesn't the LLY use the EGR to take place of the LB7 heater?

jimdmax

Feb 18, 2007
Garden Prairie IL.
I Brought A Plug From Dmaxlover I Think He Makes Them ,you May Have To Pm Him But I Dont Think He Is On Here, May Have To Log On To Tdp And See If He Has Any. I Could Not Beleave How Big The Heating Elment Is. Let Me Know If You Can't Find Him.

Jim

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
I Brought A Plug From Dmaxlover I Think He Makes Them ,you May Have To Pm Him But I Dont Think He Is On Here, May Have To Log On To Tdp And See If He Has Any. I Could Not Beleave How Big The Heating Elment Is. Let Me Know If You Can't Find Him.

Jim

That is who i got mine from,But i dont need it anymore

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
Mines gone too. Looks like it could be a sizeable restriction. Don't know what the effect would be on a 0 degree morning. BTW doesn't the LLY use the EGR to take place of the LB7 heater?
I took off all my egr equipment last summer, I didnt have any problems this winter.

LB7Diesel

Oh Boy!
Sep 3, 2006
Melbourne, F.L.

Any thoughts?

I've got some extra plugs if you want one;)

Nasty Girl

Apr 11, 2008
Got rid of mine a couple years back for obvious reasons.:rofl: No problems at all even up here in our cold winters.

C.A.P

Feb 16, 2008
I have seen one person use the plug as a place to tap for boost measurement !