LB7 injector life

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Me and my pops did do the injectors before this last set they last 100k before shooting shits, I just dont have time or energy to do them again and I would like this to last more than a year or 2

Drtymx171

Jun 7, 2013
Size of nozzles needed

On my LB7 I have white smoke during idle and have had the dreaded shut down when idling. I installed a lift pump to help with the fuel supply after the shop I went told me that 3 of the 8 injectors are flowing higher than the rest. My demise for not getting a print out of the flow bc I could have diagnosed if the larger injectors in this hog were bad or just need nozzles. If anyone has any insight please let me know. Thanks!:patriot:

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Jordan,

I still run my stock fuel filter followed by a Kennedy mega filter, so far so good. I also have his dual lift pumps.

I've had the same injectors(stock) for 3 years but in those 3 years I've only put on about 18k miles.

I've got some 30% over nozzles on the shelf but I'm apprehensive to install them being my injectors have been good and knowing my luck they would go out when I put the nozzles on.

I agree with everybody else, a lift pump is a good idea.

Yellowchevy

Ronjt

May 30, 2009
Actually 100K on a set of injectors is not bad. I would say 150k to 180K on set of injectors would be excellent.

Keep in mind also, the original Bosch HPCR system was shown to have a lift pump...many speculate that GM cheaped out and scratched it to save money. So a lift pump is highly recommened.

Of all my research on LB7 injectors there was only one thing that correlated with longer injector life: The regular use of ATF in the fuel.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
If you have any tuning worth a flip you would be served well to have a good lift pump. Fuel is a lubricant to all the components and cavitations is one reason for shortened injector or pump life.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
I would assume the low sulfer fuel is an issue as well...

Waiting on the dealer that gm contacted to tell me what will be done. Service manager claims gm rep has never heard of one going through them so fast, and more than anything want to know why it is happening. Why? I'm not sure th injector issue have been solved for the most part With the lly, lbz, lmm, lml.

alaskaman444

2001 GMC 2500HD Crewcab
Oct 28, 2013
Oak Harbor, WA
I'm a newbie on here but I've been a heavy equipment wrench for 20 years; with lots of diesel engine repair/troubleshooting. One thing I didn't see anybody suggest as a potential cause for early injector failure is the fuel tank itself. With so many miles on the truck have you considered pulling the tank and checking for contamination; maybe flushing it out? The fuel's supposed to be filtered at the fuel station's pumps'; but that doesn't mean they're changing the filters on a regular basis. I'm gonna add an Airdog II to my 2001 GMC LB7 to help alleviate the potential for air in the fuel and the added filtration. Haven't read up on the honed injectors; sounds like a performance part. Best place for information like that would be the manufactures; or at a shop that is dealer for the injectors you're looking for. Good luck!

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Gm rep turned down injector job but offered to pay half so it was escalated to the next person in the chain of command, the dealer and dealer rep feel the truck should be warranties wit all maintance records on it showing good care but heavy use. And how close 2 of the injector changes took place. So we shall see it's just a waiting game.

If gm doesn't cover it I will be upset but not at gm just the dealer that screwed us so many times. Just got screwed on our cruze and our 03 gasser. $120 free oil change on the cruze that took 2 hours to do. They did an unauthorized inspection on a car with less than 5k miles on it and found some seeping in the transmission seals. No shit that's why I took it in, was told they would need the car for a week and a half to make the repair as the engine needs to be pulled!!!! Spoke with another dealer in the phone and was told the engine can stay in and ed bozarth Chevy gmc Buick service delartment doesn't know anything

Our 03 gasser was in for a failed key fob and was told it would be $400 to replace the reciever and module in the passenger door!!! Wtf