LB7 injector life

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
SO with the 5th set of injectors now out on my old 03, my question is for the LB7 guys running oversized/honed injectors are you seeing more life out of them??

5 sets in 370k miles is just tuff to swallow, 2 sets were toasted due to the dealer and there shotty install. But even then the filter is kept decent, maybe an aux filter would help me.

I am putting some money in this old pig so I can haul the welders around but I don't feel like foggin for mosquitos while cruising around. I have a guy lined up to do the injectors and I am willing to spend a little extra $$$ on injectors if I can have them last longer.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Stock sucks not sure what your running but a better filter is needed pretty bad,i make my own lift pump filter combos.A 3 micron water sep pump and then a 2 micron absolute after and i tossed the stocker away.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
So did you do a delete on the factory filter location and remote mount one?? If so do you have pics?

Do both. Use your factory as a back up filter. You can delete it but its not going to help with anything. The remote one mounts to the frame. Its nice cause filters are 15 bucks for a better filter.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
The is the first one I built. Could have done a cleaner set up but it worked great. Use your factory filter for the water separator.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
My LBZ had an air dog with filter and it was nice, but I don't need or want a lift pump on a work truck. What are you guys useing for a remote mount?

on edit... That system would work fine, napa carry these I take it? I just converted our duece and a halfs to spin on systems instead of the old canister system they had napa had good prices.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
I mounted the filters and pump under the truck and eliminated the top side filter .I installed a fuel Y block and installed a fuel presure gauge in the 1/8 inch tap hole in the top of the fuel block then ran to each cp3.The 1/8 inch hole in the top pf the fuel block can be a bleed point or if your running 1 pump you can use the other port to bleed air if needed but if you pre fill the filter you shouldnt need to blled unless you do injectors.

Attachments

• Mazda 3 and lmm duramax 264.JPG
    Mazda 3 and lmm duramax 264.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 75
  • fuel system#2.jpg
    fuel system#2.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Fuel system.jpg
    Fuel system.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 67

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
I'm not completely against a lift pump, I just wont be making the power that would make this truck require one. I would just run an old holley unit to keep it on cheep I guess, I dont want to sink a ton of money in a truck that is as tired as this one is

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Pump and filters are cheaper then injectors. Its not just the filtration. Its also the positive pressure to the cp3 that helps.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Thanks,the lift pump will save your cp3.As long as your cp3 is healthy if you add a good lift pump you should never need a cp3 it wont be working that hard then.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
I agree completely, I'll do a good log on the truck here in the next week or so, and post it up. The trucks runs great but smokes blue like a mad man, no wash down yet in the oil, but under full throttle there is alot of black so I knwo there is just to much fuel, a stocker tune should not be huffin black

Bonestock

Aug 9, 2010
Worland Wy
I'm not completely against a lift pump, I just wont be making the power that would make this truck require one. I would just run an old holley unit to keep it on cheep I guess, I dont want to sink a ton of money in a truck that is as tired as this one is

I would like to say a lift pump would help with longevity on the duramax. The fluid dampening on injector nozzles alone should help with a lift pump. I run a lift pump and 550+ tune on my lb7 with lift pump & the injectors have been working perfect for along time. I also run power services cetane booster / stanadyne lubricant to help with injectors & cp3. If you went thru that many sets of injectors I would run a lift pump and a 2 micron filter setup along with plenty of fuel system lubricant......:eek:

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
So stock injectors and a good lift pump/remote filter would help me and I agree. But what about oversized injectors? Are they more reliable due to larger holes? I'm getting a strong anti freeze smell so I know my cups are toast also and they will always be a weak link.

Maybe I should find LLY heads and FICM/ECM

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
So stock injectors and a good lift pump/remote filter would help me and I agree. But what about oversized injectors? Are they more reliable due to larger holes? I'm getting a strong anti freeze smell so I know my cups are toast also and they will always be a weak link.

Maybe I should find LLY heads and FICM/ECM

Its not the nozzles that fail.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
UNderstood but if filtration is the issue, would larger nozzles help pass imprureties? Or is the damage done internally? I've never had a CR injector apart so I don't 100 percent understand them?