Is anyone running steel pistons yet?

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
For our trucks i would imagine, cuz of the wieght of each piston, that you would have to run a new crank, carillio rods wont work and the standard ati damper wont work either, so there is a whole lot more at play than just piston availability. I too would be on the "want them" list if they were available.

:gtfo:

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
What do you mean? What am i talking about and gtfo...
I cant find any? Post a link to a set of 8 i can buy today and have shipped immediately for an LBZ...
They are supposed to be heavier than aluminum, one reason why auto manufacturers have not used them was the weight made it more difficult to obtain maximum economy, so one would assume a stock crank could/should not be utilized.
Those i have spoken to confirmed and said you would need a specific assembly, not just slap some steel pistons onto whatever aftermarket is available or stock, was he wrong?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
What do you mean? What am i talking about and gtfo...
I cant find any? Post a link to a set of 8 i can buy today and have shipped immediately for an LBZ...
They are supposed to be heavier than aluminum, one reason why auto manufacturers have not used them was the weight made it more difficult to obtain maximum economy, so one would assume a stock crank could/should not be utilized.
Those i have spoken to confirmed and said you would need a specific assembly, not just slap some steel pistons onto whatever aftermarket is available or stock, was he wrong?

the monotherms weight less than stock pistons

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Why won't the rods or damper work? Total weight is less than some stock assemblies.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I dont know if they will work or not?
I read that the steel pistons were heavier, so how would the ATI damper work if its set to balance a lighter assembly? If the piston is heavier will carillio's hold up to the extra inertia at tdc/bdc? These were questions being tossed around when i opened the discussion up with a friend of mine at a local shop.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Where did you find that info?:eek::hug:

i stand corrected. they are heavier but this can easily be made up in both the rods and crank balancing
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showpost.php?p=517109&postcount=25

thats where the others are coming from. My crank was WAY out of wack. Guy had to fill every hole GM put in the crank with mallory for the machine to move where the balancer was saying to add weight (it was telling him to take weight out of where there was no counter weight lol). once he finally got it moved around to a counter weight, i have two tiny little hits of the drill down about 1/16th of an inch to fully balance my crank out correctly. that can all be adjusted for the weight we are talking for the pistons the way i understand it.

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
From what I've found on here, an LBZ piston/rod weighs approx. 2171g, and a Monotherm/Carillo rod weigh approx. 2136g. This probably isn't taking all factors into account, just a rough estimate.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
From what I've found on here, an LBZ piston/rod weighs approx. 2171g, and a Monotherm/Carillo rod weigh approx. 2136g. This probably isn't taking all factors into account, just a rough estimate.

Based on Guys numbers, heres what i get

LBZ piston, wrist pin and rod
4418 grams

Monotherm, their wrist pin and Carillo rod
4444 grams.

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Wow, that's alot different than what I got. I just went off what I found from searching. I didn't worry about wristpins, rings, bearings etc. Just some weights I found:
LBZ/LMM piston std. bore - 918g
Monotherm +0.020 - 1064g
LBZ rod - 1165g
Carillo rod - 1072g

03badmaxxx

Ghost Element
Mar 1, 2012
Mesa,AZ
www.facebook.com
Alright guys, I just got off the phone with Guy and Mahle about these pistons. Guy hasnt gotten them in a running motor yet and said he still has much work to go. Mahle rep said they this is strictly testing so far and have no plan on releasing until mid next year if all goes well.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Good info, and good to know, thanks guys!
I too thought you could balance out the assembly, (i wont name names) my local shop i bounce stuff off of said i was wrong, which is one reason why i had my truck towed out of state to have it worked on(most guys round here seem a little out of the loop, or just plain off their rocker)but he may have had old info too, i see that monotherms have had a significant weight reduction with each series that come out, and from what i just read, mahle has them down to a few grams less than a stock LBZ piston!

That is f'ing impressive, but with costs coming in at close to or over 4g's?!* wow, thats gonna sting a bit

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Throw a set of off-the-shelf rods with a set of steel pistons in it, and beat the crap out of it at 1800°F until something fails.

If the crank breaks? Oh well try again. If the pistons fail? No sense in making a perfectly balanced engine is there?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Wow, that's alot different than what I got. I just went off what I found from searching. I didn't worry about wristpins, rings, bearings etc. Just some weights I found:
LBZ/LMM piston std. bore - 918g
Monotherm +0.020 - 1064g
LBZ rod - 1165g
Carillo rod - 1072g

yeah i cant get shit straight this week. i need to just stop typing for a bit lol. i was adding in the piston weight plus Guys bob weight. I did find that the wristpins in the monotherms are 100 grams lighter than a stock one though.

im gunna go ahead and keep my mouth shut on this now and let those that know these things much better than i state the facts :D

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Alright guys, I just got off the phone with Guy and Mahle about these pistons. Guy hasnt gotten them in a running motor yet and said he still has much work to go. Mahle rep said they this is strictly testing so far and have no plan on releasing until mid next year if all goes well.

That sucks...

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
It's on my List-Of-Things-To-Do, but that's a really long list the last couple of years.:(

I just like to ask this question every year ... :D

I would be more than happy to take them off your hands and test them for you my friend :hug: :D