Is anyone running steel pistons yet?

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
It's been over 4 years.

We have guys making aluminum blocks, triple turbos, aftermarket ECM's, but don't have the same piston technology that a bulldozer does.

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
It's been over 4 years.

We have guys making aluminum blocks, triple turbos, aftermarket ECM's, but don't have the same piston technology that a bulldozer does.

LOL, reading that just made my day!!

Also interested in the steel piston info!

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Just a hunch, but I think we will see steel pistons in OEM street vehicles before we see solid availability of aftermarket parts. Audi has been running them for roadracing, so perhaps we will see them in Audi or VW diesels first.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Supposedly Mahle made a few Dmax sets for testing, but no results yet that I've heard of.

The Powerloader III dude said he had some running, but ...

LOL... I heard a set found its way into Bucks truck but that was over a year ago do who knows what's true and what's not. I am assuming Guy has no available sets yet?

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
LOL... I heard a set found its way into Bucks truck but that was over a year ago do who knows what's true and what's not. I am assuming Guy has no available sets yet?

Guy - Not that I'm aware of.

IIRC, Bucks truck did not have piston erosion or cracking per internet. That steel pistons were a bandaid that served no purpose.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Just a hunch, but I think we will see steel pistons in OEM street vehicles before we see solid availability of aftermarket parts. Audi has been running them for roadracing, so perhaps we will see them in Audi or VW diesels first.

Ding ding ding. My money is on OEM manufacturers first. Once one does it I am sure others will follow, and I also bet there are other manufacturers testing these pistons now.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012

I read in diesel power or deisel tech (idr) that federal mogul has made a run of steel pistons for BMW to test for thier new triple turbo diesel that is supposed to be available in ?2014?
so its already in process.

For our trucks i would imagine, cuz of the wieght of each piston, that you would have to run a new crank, carillio rods wont work and the standard ati damper wont work either, so there is a whole lot more at play than just piston availability. I too would be on the "want them" list if they were available.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I read in diesel power or deisel tech (idr) that federal mogul has made a run of steel pistons for BMW to test for thier new triple turbo diesel that is supposed to be available in ?2014?

For our trucks i would imagine, cuz of the wieght of each piston, that you would have to run a new crank, carillio rods wont work and the standard ati damper wont work either, so there is a whole lot more at play than just piston availability. I too would be on the "want them" list if they were available.

Why won't the rods or damper work? Total weight is less than some stock assemblies.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008

What on earth are you talking about...