Allison 5sp: Is Anyone Making New Snake Oilers?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Is anyone making new snake oiler kits? I know Evan was working on them but haven't seen them released yet.

Is it possible to DIY or is that another "better left to the professionals" kind of deal?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
These are pics I've pulled from one of Mike's posts in 2009. What I cannot confirm is if case mods are needed OR if it is something as simple as just making nice lines and getting high quality banjos etc.

Attachments

• snake_oil_1.jpg
    snake_oil_1.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 131
  • snake_oil_2.jpg
    snake_oil_2.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 120
  • snake_oil_3.jpg
    snake_oil_3.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 123
  • snake_oil_4.jpg
    snake_oil_4.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 109

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
A lot more involved than nice lines. Orifice size and pressure need to be calibrated. Remember you are stealing mainline pressure from the pump. Can your pump afford to lose that amount of prssure? If orifice is too large and pump pressure not enough; you will starve the pump and lazer cut the lining off the friction material on the C3 clutches. Be carefull.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
A lot more involved than nice lines. Orifice size and pressure need to be calibrated. Remember you are stealing mainline pressure from the pump. Can your pump afford to lose that amount of pressure? If orifice is too large and pump pressure not enough; you will starve the pump and lazer cut the lining off the friction material on the C3 clutches. Be carefull.

Thank you, this is exactly the info I was looking for. Are you still producing them or is Evan the go to for these now?

Are case modifications required to run this? My pump has a ratio-tek kit with orange spring and a shim. According to the builder he also drills the separator plate. My apologies as I do not know much about the internal building/modifications of these transmissions, it is one thing I would like to learn and plan to build my daily driver trans with it.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Evans does not pull fluid from same spot as Mike's original kit. I've ran both a liked Evans design a little better.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I'm sure he's talking about the little tiny drill bit that comes with the ratiotek kit.

That be the ballance hole for the pr valve in the pump plate. He said seperator plate which is the valve body plate. I was curious.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
That be the ballance hole for the pr valve in the pump plate. He said seperator plate which is the valve body plate. I was curious.

I'd assume it is as Josh states but you know what they say when you assume. I feel it is a logical assumption since him and I were talking about line pressure.

CRAWLEN

Sep 29, 2017
I have Evans kit, and it pulls pressure from the cooler fittings. And goes in to the same spot as you have pictures of

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Evans does not pull fluid from same spot as Mike's original kit. I've ran both a liked Evans design a little better.

Curious why that is?

I'm with James on this one, not saying one is better than the other. I am just curious as to why you prefer Evan's over Mike's design? I'm going to be in the market for one for next season (transitioning from sled pulling to more drag racing oriented) and want to give my trans the best shot it can at survival in a hot-lap situation.

I know most are not fans of the Mishimoto trans cooler but that thing works damn good for the cost. At DPC on the ~20min dyno test of maybe 20-40mph winds from fans I saw a max of 200f with a 3400 stall converter, that little cooler owes me nothing.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Well I cooked the trans last night. Went sled pulling and left the line in 3rd gear. Truck was running good but I pedaled it a bit to try and get it to hook up (first 20ft) then laid back into it. Locked the converter and everything felt good. All of a sudden the truck tried to grab fourth at the ~75ft range. I believe I had the wrong trans tune in it which allowed it to grab fourth if not placed in 3rd (my typical trans file doesn't care if its in drive, it limits to 3rd only), at DPC I used this same file and it didn't try to grab fourth.

Currently, the truck will move forward ONLY in a 3rd gear start file. If I put a normal trans tune back in the truck it won't move at all. It acts like it has a trans brake and immediately is up against the converter. It has no reverse, it tried to move forward in neutral after the hook when I got it into the pits. You cannot push the truck easily by hand with the truck in neutral and running.

I'm wondering if when it tried to grab 4th that it may have cooked the C1 since 3rd gear is C1/C3 and 4th is C1/C2. I don't believe the trans releases C1 during the 3->4 shift, is that correct? For the rebuild, I am going to end up buying one of Evan's DIY kits and completely going through the trans to make sure it is ready to go for next season. I am just glad this failure didn't occur at DPC! Side note, can a Mike L/Evan C3 oiler be used with a trans that has Goerend C3 lube PTO covers installed/case drilled for them?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Can a bone stock 5spd handle a c3 oiler like the original Mike L design pulling off the test port or does it not have enough pressure/flow to compensate this?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
What’s the purpose of the c3 Oiler? To keep the C3’s cool?

Helps keep the C3's lubricated and cool. With new clutch material that's been coming out, there is less need for the oiler. But it's always a good idea to have one when competing with the truck. The new Alto G4's that we are testing now will probably hold up better under heat than anything out there along with the modified steels.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Helps keep the C3's lubricated and cool. With new clutch material that's been coming out, there is less need for the oiler. But it's always a good idea to have one when competing with the truck. The new Alto G4's that we are testing now will probably hold up better under heat than anything out there along with the modified steels.

That's good to know about the G4 clutches, I'm hoping to get my built trans tore apart here in the next month or so then I can get parts ordered.

Can a snake oiler be installed on a 100% bone stock trans? Wondering if it'll help keep my daily driver/plow rig's trans in good shape.