I'm Confused

wdino73

Sep 25, 2009
Versailles, Ky
Well it's a good thing I love working on my truck, LOL.. I think I;m going to go with a socal this time, but maybe I better not tell anybody just incase I break another crank...:roflmao:

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
I broke the crank after the build, i had the rotating mass balanced with the fluid dampner, so I install the new crank and stock balancer, and I put about 22000 mile on the engine before it let go. oh and with the fluid dampner I only got 2000 miles..

You DO NOT balance a rotating assembly with the Fluidampr on it. You use the stock balancer for that and then put on the Fluidampr.

I have had no issue with my Fluidampr on my puller.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I believe most shops still use a stock balancer for balancing an engine, or they will use a solid type balancer. The fluidamper can't be used due to there reasons specified in the link abaove, and I would think an elastomeric balancer like the SOCAL/PPE/ATI unit would also try and dampen the small imbalances present while balancing which would throw off your balance on the crank. In moist cases it is best to use a solid balancer for balancing purposes. I haven't played with performance diesels, but I have played with ALOT of small block race engines and this was always the case with them. Good machine shops will normally have a solid type balancer for balancing purposes, problem being ius finding a machine shop that is versed in teh DURAMAX and equipped to work on them properly I would think.

wdino73

Sep 25, 2009
Versailles, Ky
I believe most shops still use a stock balancer for balancing an engine, or they will use a solid type balancer. The fluidamper can't be used due to there reasons specified in the link abaove, and I would think an elastomeric balancer like the SOCAL/PPE/ATI unit would also try and dampen the small imbalances present while balancing which would throw off your balance on the crank. In moist cases it is best to use a solid balancer for balancing purposes. I haven't played with performance diesels, but I have played with ALOT of small block race engines and this was always the case with them. Good machine shops will normally have a solid type balancer for balancing purposes, problem being ius finding a machine shop that is versed in teh DURAMAX and equipped to work on them properly I would think.
So I could put on a socal balancer and be fine, it's got to be better than the stocker..