I'm Confused

wdino73

Sep 25, 2009
Versailles, Ky
OK, guys I'm so confused I broke another crankshaft, I tore the engine down today and the crank broke in the same spot as the other one. the first crank had a fluid dampner on it,this crank had a stock balancer on it, I was running electric fans when both of them broke... any thought, I took everything to a machine shop that I trust this afternoon, the tech told me that he seen no oiling issues or bearing issues, it has to be a harmonic issue, any thoughts..

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
OK, guys I'm so confused I broke another crankshaft, I tore the engine down today and the crank broke in the same spot as the other one. the first crank had a fluid dampner on it,this crank had a stock balancer on it, I was running electric fans when both of them broke... any thought, I took everything to a machine shop that I trust this afternoon, the tech told me that he seen no oiling issues or bearing issues, it has to be a harmonic issue, any thoughts..

jesus man, you are a posterchild for dedication. same converter both times?

wdino73

Sep 25, 2009
Versailles, Ky
first one which was the original crank was 22222
the second crank I bought from GM was 22122
the one I'm going back with which is a used one that I had stress leaved and polished is a 11212

wdino73

Sep 25, 2009
Versailles, Ky
that's the funny part I just use it as a work truck and some playing ( not much of that ) I was pulling about 12000lbs when it let go. It's broken in the exact same spot...wierd.

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
So you broke the crank in your stock engine and now your built engine? or both after it was built. Did you rebalnce the rotating assembly when u went to either dampner?

wdino73

Sep 25, 2009
Versailles, Ky
So you broke the crank in your stock engine and now your built engine? or both after it was built. Did you rebalnce the rotating assembly when u went to either dampner?
I broke the crank after the build, i had the rotating mass balanced with the fluid dampner, so I install the new crank and stock balancer, and I put about 22000 mile on the engine before it let go. oh and with the fluid dampner I only got 2000 miles..

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Could there be an issue with the alignment of the mains? I would definately get it balanced again. Are you going to use the stock balancer and flexplate?

fctry286

WhisperMax
Jul 30, 2010
San Diego.
I understand, But still something has to be off balance. something could be causing the crank bearings to slightly fail and causing harsh vibes.

wdino73

Sep 25, 2009
Versailles, Ky
I understand, But still something has to be off balance. something could be causing the crank bearings to slightly fail and causing harsh vibes.

The bearing are in good shape, it broke right at the snout at the first counterweight on bought cranks, I got 20,000 more out of the stock balancer, the engine purrs like a kitten at any throttle pos. I just keep breaking the front of the crank off. LOL

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
Sounds like the front of the crank need to be lightened up a bit. Both balancers you used are the heaviest on the market.

Last edited: