Hydro Boost leak?

crazycrew

Let's Start A Riot
Oct 3, 2009
S. Louisiana
My hydro boost is leaking. Not terrible, but its leaking. It's leaking where the aluminum body that holds the fluid resivoir and black body mate up. Dont know what it's called (bulkhead maybe??) i'll post a pic. Haven't tried tightening the two bolts yet! Is there just a gasket i can change or do i have to change the whole thing? Any special instructions? I've never messed w/ this before. Do I have to bleed brakes?

a7587411.jpg

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'm having trouble seeing where the leak is. Is it leaking brake fluid or power steering fluid. I had an issue with mine leaking power steering fluid where the two cast pieces bolt together, but it was fixed under warranty. It's been a while, but I think the paperwork said they replaced a seal.

crazycrew

Let's Start A Riot
Oct 3, 2009
S. Louisiana
It's leaking where the two bolt together. If i run my finger under there, i get some on my finger. Kinda brownish color

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
It's leaking where the two bolt together. If i run my finger under there, i get some on my finger. Kinda brownish color
Just so I know for sure what you're talking about, when you say the two bolted together are you talking about the aluminum piece (brake master cylinder) and the cast iron piece (brake booster)? Depending on the condition of the fluids, both the brake fluid and the power steering fluid can be brownish. Power steering fluid will feel oily, and brake fluid will feel kind of dry (I know, it's weird to think of any fluid as dry). You should be able to tell them apart by feel. If you are leaking brake fluid, you will most likely need a new master cylinder. If you are leaking power steering fluid, you can probably get a seal kit for the hydroboost unit and reseal it.

63chevyll

Projects of Many,None dun
Nov 28, 2009
Colorado Springs
as far as those kinds of leaks i have seen almost all Pump to booster hoses leaking/sweating. seems like they are too tight from factory

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
How does the brake booster and power steering system work together? Does the brake booster provide pressure for the power steering system to work? Sorry to sound like a newbe but I want to understand how this works.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
How does the brake booster and power steering system work together? Does the brake booster provide pressure for the power steering system to work? Sorry to sound like a newbe but I want to understand how this works.
The brake booster is hydraulically assisted (as opposed to vacuum like most cars) and gets pressurized fluid from the power steering pump. The fluid is routed from the pump to the hydroboost and from hydroboost to the steering box. Both brake booster and steering have their own fluid return line.

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
The brake booster is hydraulically assisted (as opposed to vacuum like most cars) and gets pressurized fluid from the power steering pump. The fluid is routed from the pump to the hydroboost and from hydroboost to the steering box. Both brake booster and steering have their own fluid return line.

Thank you sir!

crazycrew

Let's Start A Riot
Oct 3, 2009
S. Louisiana
Just so I know for sure what you're talking about, when you say the two bolted together are you talking about the aluminum piece (brake master cylinder) and the cast iron piece (brake booster)? .

Yes! I'll have to check again tomorrow when i get home from work on whick fluid. If it's PS, where would you suggest i get this kit from??

Last edited:

Turbotug

BEER SLAYER
Sep 3, 2006
Phoenix
Bump...

Noticed some fluid on my fender liner the other day. Coming from the brake M/C or hydroboost.

It's kinda hard to tell which it's coming from..

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Bump...

Noticed some fluid on my fender liner the other day. Coming from the brake M/C or hydroboost.

Take some brake clean and clean all the oil up brandon, then go drive it and hit the brakes hard a quick a few times. It will leak again and you will be able to see where its comin from. Also, if the pedal kicks back at you when you hit the brakes quick, its another sign the booster is shot

Turbotug

BEER SLAYER
Sep 3, 2006
Phoenix
Take some brake clean and clean all the oil up brandon, then go drive it and hit the brakes hard a quick a few times. It will leak again and you will be able to see where its comin from. Also, if the pedal kicks back at you when you hit the brakes quick, its another sign the booster is shot

Or...the ABS is working. :)

jc64

Sep 29, 2006
Oregon
Bump...

I have the same thing. It does not show up when I drive like a normal person, but when I run it hard the spots show up on the fender liner.

jc

[email protected]

cmitchell17
Sep 8, 2008
I fixed mine by putting a plasticizer in it to expand the seal. I think the stuff I put in mine was ATP stop leak or something. If your truck does the sqeak noise while turning sometimes it will probably get worse with this stuff in it, and youll probably have to fill it up once in a while to keep it from leaking.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Looks like I'm in need of a new booster..

Anyone have the part number so I can begin the hunt?

Thx
Call your local pick & pull places. I had mine go out, and got one with like 60k miles on it (mine had 260k :eek:) for like $50. Looks new, works like new.

They probably won't sell you the master cylinder, but I had no problem getting the booster. Way cheaper than I could find a new one, and I wouldn't trust a reman further than I could throw it (I have bad luck with remans, so used is prefered to reman for me).