LLY: How to safely Lope a Duramax?

raceghost

Animal
Sep 28, 2018
Out West
Boom Shacka Lacka!!!

"Just log it at idle. Where ever it is in the tune, just add fuel to it there. I would recommend small increments until you get it to lope how you want it to. I have only gotten it to lope on accident, but the way I did it was to go into Fuel Injection Quantity and FIQ (no pilot) and increased the fueling there. Just keep bumping it up and it will slowly start to lope. Then just keep bumping it up till it lopes as hard as you want it to. Dont get carried away though, because it makes the motor jump around a lot when its too hard."

Or

"In your throttle based injection table at 600 rpm and 0% tp. Change that cell to 32 or 34 or whatever number you feel is right. Then go into your main injection pulse table and highlight cells 3-20 under 30-40mpa. Then add 100%. This will make her lope really good. Play with it a little until it is were you want it. If it is to hard, then decrease that one TBI cell."

So this suggestion earlier might be right:
Increase timing to 45* at 800rpm from 0-15mm3

I'll have to do some testing and a revised write up.

Thanks for the good laugh guys. :thumb:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Honestly, I do not think we really want or need a write up on a smoke or a lope tune. Please dont. Keep your "research" to yourself.

Starting to think you're here to cause trouble.

raceghost

Animal
Sep 28, 2018
Out West
Honestly, I do not think we really want or need a write up on a smoke or a lope tune. Please dont. Keep your "research" to yourself.

Starting to think you're here to cause trouble.

I laughed with all the posts on here, and let you all flame me...

Now you want to judge me or label me seriously?

I am here to learn, and I learned a lot about some of you on this thread, starting with you my man. THink what you want, say what you want, but I am here to stay, and if it is to much trouble for you , then you don't have to post...

Sorry you are so offended or fell threatened by a little fun.

I like your sig: "Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet."

raceghost

Animal
Sep 28, 2018
Out West
I just don't get it, I took all your jokes and then decided to joke with you all, and now I am the asshole...? Its attitudes like Toms that kill your forum...

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
We were hoping you would take the hint that we don't want to talk about lope tunes. In the eyes of most of the members here, they're right up there with smoke tunes (which is why Tom mentioned them in his post). They attract the wrong kind of attention and are not what this forum is about. I don't think Tom said anything out of line. I'm not sure why you took his post as such an insult.

raceghost

Animal
Sep 28, 2018
Out West
We were hoping you would take the hint that we don't want to talk about lope tunes. In the eyes of most of the members here, they're right up there with smoke tunes (which is why Tom mentioned them in his post). They attract the wrong kind of attention and are not what this forum is about. I don't think Tom said anything out of line. I'm not sure why you took his post as such an insult.

In the 1000 or so posts I have read about the subject between here and the other forums on the subject, I get it on the serious note. Learned a lot about it. But this thread turned into a joke fest, so I threw up another one, bad form? maybe, but figured if it was now just a trash thread, why can't I toss a wrapper to the pile?

I'm not here to cause trouble, and how rather insignificant it may be, I have already contributed in positive ways to the community with other threads... So why in a joke thread does one assume I am only here to cause trouble? It is attitudes like that in a thread that has gone to the dumpsters and someone says something like that that ultimately turns people away. Take it, but don't play along is what that post said to me.

Moderator, close it and delete this thread then.

ChrisPerry

Apr 4, 2016
Ventura, CA
Raceghost just to let you know BAC is a mod...... telling him to basically shut up cause you're "here to stay" isn't a great idea.

The lope and smoke tunes are REALLY looked down upon as a whole here. Those tend to bring too much negative response by the general public, and cause the government to tighten the reigns even tighter. These aren't what DD is about.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
I just don't get it, I took all your jokes and then decided to joke with you all, and now I am the asshole...? Its attitudes like Toms that kill your forum...

This forum has been here long before you and it will continue long after you're gone Tonto.

Jan 28, 2015
Ohio
This is exactly why Manfred and a few other have decided to quit tuning OUR trucks due to kids wanting to roll coal. Smoke and lope tunes are what many people use. It may be a joke to you but alot of us like to build a performance truck for the fun of it. I also recently bought a v2 and want to learn to turn my own stuff. Starlite diesel sells a book if you want to figure it out. If you want a duramax to sounds great and perform great. Spend 100k building the whole truck and it will give you a feeling that you cannot imagine with power to back it.

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
I can give you the best advice anyone can give another person who wants to learn how to tune a diesel.

Start with a stock file, make no more than a few basic changes, as in do not change 30 tables, change just pulse width or throttle table or tq. limiters, log it, evaluate those small changes.

Then change another 1 or two things, resave the file, relog the truck, reevaluate it again.

Once you get to that point and create a small tune, then as you increase power you will need to learn how to keep the trans shifts happy, because they will not be happy.

Then after you learn about a simple truck to tune like an LB7 or LLY, the LBZ and LMM will challenge you more, as they are tq based ecu's and not throttle based, big difference in how you tune them.

Then you can try and figure out LML.............:roflmao:

I started this journey 13 years ago...........and I still have not stopped learning in 13 years.

And HEX is a joy to poke thru, its like a puzzle with pieces missing and no picture to go by, its like a set of directions to no-where and nothing is labeled.

When you get there, don't walk thru that door, its all consuming...........and no fun.

;)

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Thanks guys for trying to explain to him through your humor WHY its a bad idea that we dont encourage here. But someone had to be blunt.

Raceghost, go back to asking legitimate questions AFTER you've done your own thorough research, and then maybe you and your motivations wont be questioned by me or the other Staffers here.

I highly recommend you buy Starlite's book, find out when Zach is doing one of his classes near you and attend it. Take Tony's advice. Start with the basics. Your time and your effort are the only ways for you to really learn how to tune a Dmax.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal

Be thankful it was Tom who spoke up and told it like it is as he is one of the more "gentle/kind" moderators. Speak badly about any of the other mods and you won't be here to stay, at least not if you keep it up.

This is a very tight knit community with some clear, and some maybe not so clear, topics that are not encouraged or endorsed on this forum. Some you have to read between the lines line this thread. Others will be clear up front.

This is also one of the benefits of sitting back and reading the many threads on there and getting the knowledge you seek and understand purpose of this forum before posting up on subjects. As you may have learned, or at least been told. This is a performance driven site so tuning that takes it in reverse, ie: lope and smoke tunes, will be shut down.

I suggest you take a little breather and relax for a bit and read as many threads pertaining to your goals before posting again. May help you get your head together on what this site is all about

We are all for enthusiastic members with lofty goals and all but you may have bitten off a little too much here. Don't get too bothered by it. Instead take it as a learning experience and move on.

With a few more miles under your belt and your ambition you may actually make a wonderful addition to the family

Last edited:

Mikey52

Sep 20, 2018
He could reread the whole forum, I don't think he will find much about smoke or lope tunes.

I laughed pretty hard too.

As I have 8 horses and a donkey, the lopeing a mule was the best. Problem with the mule is the ecm is locked up tighter than a L5p. I think a brute force hack would be the best option.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I think tuning an L5P is easier then loping a mule. I've done neither, just guessing.:baby: