How are the LML's holding up?

elliottw

Jan 23, 2013
ND
I posted the thread about lmls with HG issues..it seems like gm just chocked it up to a bad run of gaskets/Friday lazy workers, as three of them were close in number and all failed at like 8-14k miles. I'm inclined to go with them too.

Only thing I really work on as far as lmls is concerned is emissions related. If I ever get one it'll be deleted most likely as that's all I've really seen go wrong with them, only seen 1 cp4 failure and it was a 2012 with 240k miles on it.

They're great vehicles, oh and the chassis cabs transfer pumps always go out, if you get a work pickup

Last edited:

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
They're great vehicles, oh and the chassis cabs transfer pumps always go out, if you get a work pickup

Gm hasn't figured out that problem in 14 years our 05 service truck has sending unit problems transfer pump problems they have never fixed the problem there not surprised.

I'd delete the lml just so I could here the truck out the exhaust lol I'd probably leave ome stock for about 20k though....well maybe:rofl:

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Not here to bash on the LML's there awesome trucks but just had a customer of mine lose a cp4. Truck is totally stock, no tuning 50k miles on it. Its a 13, the pump grenade and the whole fuel system was replaced. Bill came up to around 12 grand! Luckily it was still under warranty. Hope the new pumps are upgraded, this could get old very fast.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Not here to bash on the LML's there awesome trucks but just had a customer of mine lose a cp4. Truck is totally stock, no tuning 50k miles on it. Its a 13, the pump grenade and the whole fuel system was replaced. Bill came up to around 12 grand! Luckily it was still under warranty. Hope the new pumps are upgraded, this could get old very fast.

I haven't followed the CP4 saga lately. AFAIK there wasn't much to change in the pumps, they are just sensitive to poor fuel, especially water.

12k is what you hear out of the Ford camp as well. Kind of makes sense since the fuel system is the same but I figured the ford would have more labor.

If you have to do it yourself out of warranty its nowhere near that much. The injectors are less than $300 each. Pump is cheaper than a CP3 at just over $600. Rails and lines should be able to be cleaned but if not the rails are $250 each, lines I don't know but LB7's were just under 90-100 each. Even if you replaced it all you would still be at 5k in parts.

The issues seem to have slowed for now. A bunch of trucks failing out the gate but you dont hear about it much anymore. Stock trucks would be what I am referring to.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home

Im not worried about ONE customer... How many were sold that didn't have a CP4 fail? I did a thread a while ago about LML longevity as 2 LML dually popped up locally with broken cranks both over 250K miles all stock all highway pullin. The guy came from the ford camp and is now bad mouthing GM for said broken cranks.

All you hear about is the bad I will post some good.

Our 2012 LML

Decent mileage while pulling in the 20k-30k range long distance
Amazing ride and handleing with large loads
0 issues with performance and reliability
no fuel issues
no limps
no codes
smokes the 6.7 from both camps up the mountain to Estes Park
engine exhaust brakeing is very effective
GM fixed the freezing Urea tank issues free of charge
0 down time (excuding oil and filter changes) the LB7 had already ate its first set of injectors by 60k miles

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI
Well I hope he doesn't have any problems. He is coming from a '95 7.3 Ford that had many but pretty minor or cheap problems. I tried talking them into a LBZ but they wanted a new style truck. This truck has 103k on it so its out of warranty anyways.

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI
Im not worried about ONE customer... How many were sold that didn't have a CP4 fail? I did a thread a while ago about LML longevity as 2 LML dually popped up locally with broken cranks both over 250K miles all stock all highway pullin. The guy came from the ford camp and is now bad mouthing GM for said broken cranks.

All you hear about is the bad I will post some good.

Our 2012 LML

Decent mileage while pulling in the 20k-30k range long distance
Amazing ride and handleing with large loads
0 issues with performance and reliability
no fuel issues
no limps
no codes
smokes the 6.7 from both camps up the mountain to Estes Park
engine exhaust brakeing is very effective
GM fixed the freezing Urea tank issues free of charge
0 down time (excuding oil and filter changes) the LB7 had already ate its first set of injectors by 60k miles

That's good to hear. We cranked the torsion bars up to level it out and it rides solid but not harsh at all. I think it rides better than my truck

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
No way I'd buy an LBZ, especially someone looking for a nice truck. The LBZ is a great motor, but peoples LBZ bonors are too big. You can buy LMMs cheaper some days. LML's are more, but if you ever plan to tow anything more than a push mower the new chassis is worth the investment.

Ours have been great, I can't complain one bit. I would expect issues with the way everything else runs these days but they have been top notch. I'm surprised, usually I hate domestic vehicles, still do but this one gives me some home. They may be boring but at least they work I guess.

Coming from an old 7.3 they should expect a few emissions related issues possibly, but the 7.3s and 5.9s from the 90s still have a truck around them that will nickle and dime you as well. I think everytime his foot pushes the skinny pedal he will forget everythiung anyways.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Agreed with 30k in tow and you need to pass a slow mover roll into feel the boost build the chassis tq and when you look down at the speedo you are already to a fineable velocity.

My LBZ was an animal hauled some monster hay loads and it felt good, but the chassis was never as sure footed or confidence inspiring as the LML trucks.

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
my moms 13 has been horrible since we got it. After about 5,000 miles it developed a fairly large oil leak, so back to the dealership it went. After that, its been in about 6-7 times for various things mostly for the turbo causing her grief. Truck has been in limp mode quite a few times also. Finally at 35k they decided to replace the turbo for her. after about 100 miles she lost all of her coolant and overheated the engine. Mechanic said the egr line blew off. So back to the dealership it went and still sits being tore down at the moment.