How are the LML's holding up?

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI
Doesn't seem like too many people on here have one. Thought I would ask anyway. Someone I know just got a 2011. Looking to delete urea, dpf and at least block the egr. Would get it tuned efi too of course. Anyone having any problems with this setup? I saw a post about head gaskets on 2014's going bad with low miles. Any issues on the older '11 models? Truck has 103k on it.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I did a ton of reasearch before I pulled the trigger on my 2015. From what I've found out they have about the least amount of issues of all the engine codes built so far. Lb7 had injector issues, LLY had over heating and harness problems, LBZ cracks pistons, LMM's really don't have the problem like the LBZ, but they still occasionally crack pistons, the LML seems to have had these problems corrected, only thing i could find bad really was about the injection pump failures. Every engine is gonna have a weak point but the LML seems to be a great engine. I'm excited to own one now...:D

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
I did a ton of reasearch before I pulled the trigger on my 2015. From what I've found out they have about the least amount of issues of all the engine codes built so far. Lb7 had injector issues, LLY had over heating and harness problems, LBZ cracks pistons, LMM's really don't have the problem like the LBZ, but they still occasionally crack pistons, the LML seems to have had these problems corrected, only thing i could find bad really was about the injection pump failures. Every engine is gonna have a weak point but the LML seems to be a great engine. I'm excited to own one now...:D

Till the pump goes and takes out your entire fuel system. But as stated, they all had issues. Lbz also had crank failures, though I'm not sure whether that is or was an issue for any of the other models. Just seems I hear about them mostly with the lbz.

I'll never own a diesel newer then an lbz just because of the emissions bs though, as much as I wouldn't mind a 2015 gmc dmax to match the 2014 gmc 5.3 in the driveway :D

saxman915

Mar 11, 2014
From what I hear there are some big problems with the emissions parts on the 2011s. Since he is deleting he should be good. I had a 13 and drove it 46k miles in 13 months without an issue. Just traded it for a 15 denali 3500 and it is by far the best truck ive ever driven. LML is a great motor

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI
Reading about people having tons of issues with urea tank sensors on duramaxforum…. 56 pages of people having emissions related problems. Was debating tuning leaving it intact but after seeing that I think it's best it goes away. :)

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
Reading about people having tons of issues with urea tank sensors on duramaxforum…. 56 pages of people having emissions related problems. Was debating tuning leaving it intact but after seeing that I think it's best it goes away. :)

Should have been more specific. No issues after the delete. My truck was at the dealer at 1000 miles for urea tank issues

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
83k on mine, had an EGR connector replaced under warranty and a bad starter at about 60k, otherwise no issues. Still have all emissions intact. It's been a great truck...apparently deleted they are even better. Haven't experienced that (only have enough $$ to fund one project, lol), but I wish I could.

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI
What mpg are you guys seeing with emissions intact and without? Cruising down the hw at 78 the computer said high 12's- low 13's. 75mph was around 14.5mpg.

gmac32

Dec 8, 2009
bellville ohio
if I were to buy one used, first thing I would do is put a cp3 in place of the cp4.2. Its a lot cheaper to do it now then paying for a complete fuel system later.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
if I were to buy one used, first thing I would do is put a cp3 in place of the cp4.2. Its a lot cheaper to do it now then paying for a complete fuel system later.

That would be ridiculous...

We see about 9mpg towing... best empty we have seen is 16 on flat highway. Nowhere near as food as the lb7 but the power is amazing in these trucks right off the lot. It has made one trip up too Estes park and we did dip down to 5mpg in east Colorado but it improved greatly in a short period of time.

I have seen two trucks with broken cranks around 200k miles

Taylor-34

Jan 13, 2014
Cali..
Just towed my 39' toy hauler from colorado to california w/ my 2011 overall trip I averaged 11mpg per my horrible math skills :)

Edit: bone stock still...

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Mine got 22 at an average of 58 mph on the way home from the dealer, that was just over 100 miles worth. I was super impressed, the LMM would have averaged 17 at that speed even after deleting everything...

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI
Mine got 22 at an average of 58 mph on the way home from the dealer, that was just over 100 miles worth. I was super impressed, the LMM would have averaged 17 at that speed even after deleting everything...

That's not bad considering the emissions. My dad gets 20-22 in his LBZ though going 70-75 with stock everything except Kory's tuning.